Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Brian Quick

  1. #1
    bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0

    Brian Quick

    So, I was going through some of my old things I had boxed up and came across some old trading cards. One of them happened to be of Isaac Bruce. I turned it around looking at the stats and what not, and something caught my eye. His rookie season.

    21 Catches 272 yards 3 TD's

    I instantly thought of Brian Quick. Both from small schools, both taken in the 2nd round with high expectations, and both were dissapointing in their rookie seasons. Here are Quicks numbers:

    11 Catches 156 yards 2 TD's

    I took this snippet from ESPN:

    Quick, the Rams' second round pick (33rd overall) was arguably the only major disappointment in the Rams' 2012 draft class. The youngster out of Appalachian State has all the measurables and intangibles, but he was just never able to put it together on the field. There was talk that the size the breadth of the NFL playbook overwhelmed him, and even Isaac Bruce, another former Ram wideout from a small college, said it took him over a year and half to get comfortable and figure out the NFL game, so all is not lost. If Quick puts in the work over the long offseason and dedicates himself he could be a great sleeper pick in 2013. He's definitely a guy to keep an eye on early in camp next year.

    I would love to see Quick put it all together the way Ike did. With an entire offseason of learning the playbook, being coached, and even some private workouts with Sam, I believe he could. Is he going to go out and challenge the single season receiving record the way Ike did in his second year? Probably not, but I would love to see him put up 1,000 yards!


  2. #2
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    44
    Posts
    833
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Brian Quick

    I think everyone was hoping he would do well. I still havent given up on him and after his first season he's really got to get to work.

  3. #3
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,943
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    Quick, the Rams' second round pick (33rd overall) was arguably the only major disappointment in the Rams' 2012 draft class.
    Did he forget about Pead?
    NJ Ramsfan1 and ManofGod like this.


  4. #4
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Brian Quick

    The same was said about Mardy Gilyard.

  5. #5
    bruce4life's Avatar
    bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hemet/San Diego CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,762
    Rep Power
    31

    Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The same was said about Mardy Gilyard.
    Maridy gilyard had what 1 catch for 15 yards though ?
    live4ramin likes this.

  6. #6
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,297
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The same was said about Mardy Gilyard.
    So the question becomes, is Brian Quick the next Mardy Gilyard? Or the next Isaac Bruce?

    No, scratch that. That's not fair. Bruce is a once-in-a-lifetime type of player. Team focused; highly disciplined WR. The face of a franchise. No, let me rephrase the question:

    Bruce had a disappointing rookie year, apparently struggling with the playbook. His reaction was to pour himself into the playbook and work tirelessly on his routes and overall skill set. He's now the leading receiver in franchise history.

    Gilyard had a disappointing rookie year, apparently struggling with the playbook. His reaction was to........well, I don't really know except to say that he has bounced around on a few different teams, and has managed exactly two catches since the end of the 2010 season, his rookie year.

    Quick had a disappointing rookie year, apparently struggling with the playbook. His reaction was to.....???
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-05-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Nick, mde8352gorams and TekeRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #7
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,536
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Brian Quick

    I think he'll have a break out year next season. He strikes me as a hard working kid looking to make good in the NFL. he may not be the next Ike, but he will add a dimension to our WR corps we've been missing this year....physicality, especially against press CB's like the Squawks CB's.

    Go Rams!
    RealRam likes this.

  8. #8
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,376
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Brian Quick

    He should improve, we have a better coaching staff and at least Quick can hit the red zone (unlike Mardy Gilyard). I expect a breakout season from him once he's in his 3rd year here.

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Quick had a disappointing rookie year, apparently struggling with the playbook. His reaction was to.....???
    take light reps to slowly gel with the playbook his rookie year.

  9. #9
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,184
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Brian Quick

    How about before we start the HOF top 10 of all time WR comparisons we let Quick get used to the league? Not every WR we draft or sign we need to compare to Holt or Bruce, and not every RB we draft or sign we need to compare to SJ or Faulk.

    Quick is exactly what we thought he was. RAW. He played at Appalachian State. Anyone who expected him to walk into here and light up the league was not being realisitic. He was drafted because the coaches saw the raw ability and potential to make a great WR. Quick needs time, and I'm willing to give him that. Cant wait to see him next year or even in his third year.
    evil disco man likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  10. #10
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,297
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Brian Quick

    How about before we start the HOF top 10 of all time WR comparisons we let Quick get used to the league? Not every WR we draft or sign we need to compare to Holt or Bruce, and not every RB we draft or sign we need to compare to SJ or Faulk.
    Read again the previous posts, and you will note the comparison is not between Quick and Bruce, or even Quick and Gilyard. But rather between Quick's reaction to a disappointing rookie campaign and two other previous reactions (1 good, 1 not-so-good).
    bigdogg2834 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  11. #11
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,184
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Read again the previous posts, and you will note the comparison is not between Quick and Bruce, or even Quick and Gilyard. But rather between Quick's reaction to a disappointing rookie campaign and two other previous reactions (1 good, 1 not-so-good).
    I didnt exactly mean a comparison between the two players (in a statistic standpoint), but why are we always bringing up the past to try and make oursevles feel better about the present/future?

    I guarantee you I can find 10 posts about "Can Givens be the next Torry Holt, they had the same rookie stats", or "If we sign a #1 WR, we can sort of be like the GSOT". How about we forget about the past and stop making comparisons to things that happen once every 10-20 years?

    Can Quick be good? Yes. Has be been dissapointing? Yes. Thats all there is too it. Can he improve? Hopefully. Nothing to do with Bruce or any other previous players what so ever. It all comes down to how much Quick wants it.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  12. #12
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    49
    Posts
    8,615
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Quick is exactly what we thought he was. RAW. He played at Appalachian State. Anyone who expected him to walk into here and light up the league was not being realisitic. He was drafted because the coaches saw the raw ability and potential to make a great WR. Quick needs time, and I'm willing to give him that. Cant wait to see him next year or even in his third year.
    You say this which I must admit, I was hoping he would come in and do better...

    But then you say this...

    Has be been dissapointing? Yes.
    If he is what you thought he is why are you disappointed?

    People compare him to Bruce not to say he will be as great as Bruce, it's about the great Bruce struggled early so don't give up on him. IMO

    I think you are right about Quick he is raw and we took him for his up side. That said it would be easier for fans if he was the fourth round pick and Givens was the second. Next year we will see more of Quick, unless we draft a rookie that battles him for playing time and that could happen. Quick needs to work his butt off for next year. I hope he comes in and takes off!!!
    mde8352gorams and bigdogg2834 like this.

  13. #13
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,297
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    why are we always bringing up the past to try and make oursevles feel better about the present/future?
    A) We bring up the past because that is the only concrete information anyone has to work with. B) It's inaccurate to say the reason the past is brought up is to "make ourselves feel better". The past is brought up simply because that is the only thing that has happened.

    I guarantee you I can find 10 posts about "Can Givens be the next Torry Holt, they had the same rookie stats", or "If we sign a #1 WR, we can sort of be like the GSOT".
    I look forward to that. Not sure what it is intended to prove, but.......okay.

    I'll reiterate the point of all this: Brian Quick is at a bit of a cross-road. Same cross-road as two before him. Those two took different paths from each other. It will be interesting to see which Quick chooses; the path of improvement (Bruce's path.....and do not read that to be a comparison between Quick and Bruce, because it's not), or the path of stagnation (Gilyard's path).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #14
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,184
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A) We bring up the past because that is the only concrete information anyone has to work with. B) It's inaccurate to say the reason the past is brought up is to "make ourselves feel better". The past is brought up simply because that is the only thing that has happened.

    I look forward to that. Not sure what it is intended to prove, but.......okay.

    I'll reiterate the point of all this: Brian Quick is at a bit of a cross-road. Same cross-road as two before him. Those two took different paths from each other. It will be interesting to see which Quick chooses; the path of improvement (Bruce's path.....and do not read that to be a comparison between Quick and Bruce, because it's not), or the path of stagnation (Gilyard's path).
    That is my point... Why is it that everytime there is a WR we talk about he is ALWAYS compared to or even pegged as the next possible Bruce or Holt? Same thing goes for the RB position..

    Bruce is nothing like Quick except for the fact they struggled their first year, and yes I realize that is the only connection you are making between the two. I just think its weird to make that comparison. "Yes, one of the best WR's of all time struggled his first year here, so lets not be worried about Quick" as if Quick will be even half as good as Bruce or something..

    I hope he is, but I highly doubt it. Quick reminds me more of an A.J Green. Long and lanky guy, but with less speed than Green.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  15. #15
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,297
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Brian Quick

    "Yes, one of the best WR's of all time struggled his first year here, so lets not be worried about Quick"
    No one in this conversation (except you, now) has made that argument. I'm afraid you have wandered a long way from the point being made here.

    I will try to say it a different way:

    Bruce, Gilyard, and Quick ALL had rough rookie years BECAUSE they ALL supposedly had trouble picking up the playbook (figuratively, not literally...we must assume). Bruce overcame it. Gilyard did not. Quick will do one or the other.

    Again, nobody is trying to set up Quick as the next Bruce. He is simply standing at the same cross road that Bruce (and Gilyard) once stood.
    Rambos, Nick and bigdogg2834 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brian Quick Pushing for More
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
  2. Brian Quick Sighting
    By 39WillRunYaOva in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
  3. Brian Quick ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -07-12-2012, 12:06 PM
  4. Brian Quick Expectations
    By Judaxi in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
  5. Brian Quick @ 33?
    By sosa39rams in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: -05-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •