Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Brian Quick

SimSportPl is offline Registered User

Re: Brian Quick

Thanks for the replies, guy!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Its a make or break year for him next season.
    Says who?

And whats the borderline for make and break?

He's a raw receiver from a D2 school, the coaching staff will be patient with him.

In my eyes, he just needs to quit thinking so much and just play. That comes with experience.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Good news, Quick had some separation yesterday on long ball. Ball was thrown well but it looked like defender managed to disrupt it enough to cause an incompletion.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quick has looked (primarily) pretty bad, for 2 seasons now. Compare him with the guy many thought we should have targeted (and passed up for Quick) at WR...Alshon Jeffery...and this pick looks more and more like a complete gaffe. Nothing new for this franchise.
    punahou likes this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Quick has looked (primarily) pretty bad, for 2 seasons now. Compare him with the guy many thought we should have targeted (and passed up for Quick) at WR...Alshon Jeffery...and this pick looks more and more like a complete gaffe. Nothing new for this franchise.
    Its so easy to point to a guy like Jeffrey and whine that the Rams messed up.

Never mind that Jeffrey had some pre-draft Red Flags that caused every team to pass on him at least once before the Bears took him with the 45th pick in the draft. Never mind that the Jaguars, Cardinals, Titans, Niners and Jets also took WRs before Jeffrey was selected (and none of them has performed to Jeffrey's level).

Let me ask you this...

When the Rams select a guy like Zac Stacy, who has out-performed at least 10 RBs selected before him, do the Rams get credit for that? Or do they only get ripped when they pass on someone who ends up being a good player?

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think it's fair to say that none of the receivers and or TEs are getting many targets on the Rams. We have a back up QB and we are just trying to run the ball and play great defense to win games.
    In the second half yesterday I bet we did not throw more then 5 passes. We only threw the ball 20 times total and spread it out to 8 guys. Not like anyone is getting a chance to really shine, maybe one guy Stacy!
    live4ramin likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

The argument that, "we could have picked this player over that play" is invalid. Teams can only draft based on what they know at the current time. Unless teams have a delorean that can travel to the future, than your argument is valid, but its not.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Yes, I can empathize with your sentiment but I think the current regime is not to be held accountable for past gaffes. Case in point. Zac Stacy, Ogletree, JJ, Trumaine just to name a few. There are others that I think will make their mark with the Rams before it is said and done chosen by Fish and Les.......

I think Quick will work out in time......
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its so easy to point to a guy like Jeffrey and whine that the Rams messed up.

Never mind that Jeffrey had some pre-draft Red Flags that caused every team to pass on him at least once before the Bears took him with the 45th pick in the draft. Never mind that the Jaguars, Cardinals, Titans, Niners and Jets also took WRs before Jeffrey was selected (and none of them has performed to Jeffrey's level).

Let me ask you this...

When the Rams select a guy like Zac Stacy, who has out-performed at least 10 RBs selected before him, do the Rams get credit for that? Or do they only get ripped when they pass on someone who ends up being a good player?
    So are you saying that it's wrong to point out that high draft picks like Quick and Pead haven't really panned out thus far? Should we just talk about picks like Stacy that are working out and pretend the bad picks didn't happen?

Just curious so I know for future reference.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    So are you saying that it's wrong to point out that high draft picks like Quick and Pead haven't really panned out thus far? Should we just talk about picks like Stacy that are working out and pretend the bad picks didn't happen?

The most common comparison I see people place on Quick is Vincent Jackson. Now by all accounts Jackson is a very good NFL receiver and most any team would like to have them on their roster. How easy it is to over look though that Jackson had three catches in his first year and only played in seven games. His second year he had twenty seven catches and played in all sixteen only starting seven. Great NFL receiver yet he wasn't much his first two season. Brian Quick through two seasons, with two games left, has a total of twenty seven catches. Their YPC are off by .5.

Now I'm not saying he's Vincent Jackson 2.0. What I am saying is not every good/great player in the NFL comes in their first year or two and lights the league on fire with their play. Give the guy a chance. You're complaining that a guy who didn't even have a position coach in college hasn't grasped the nuances of an NFL offense fast enough for you. I don't care that he was a second round pick give the man a chance. Sometimes we're lucky to get lightning in a bottle and the players produce from the first snap of their rookie year. In all reality most years there isn't competition for the OROY and DROY cause there's only one or maybe two options of players actually having good rookie seasons.

Personally I hope the guy does just like VJ did. I just hope the Rams don't give up on him after two years. Cause years three and four are usually when young receivers put it all together.
    laram0 and PARamfan like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

He is the most UN-athletic athletic person in the league.....He has freak build, size, speed, but plays slower, smaller and off-balance.....he flies to the ball and then doesn't jump or goes off wrong foot ....no instincts...

Zero confidence, Has that missing X factor the way Mike Williams (USC) couldn't transition to pro-game --

I think he needs instincts and skills, which I really don't know if they could be taught.....

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post

If you can't tell the difference between people who objectively evaluate all players, good or bad, and those who only focus on the bad players, then I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The most common comparison I see people place on Quick is Vincent Jackson. Now by all accounts Jackson is a very good NFL receiver and most any team would like to have them on their roster. How easy it is to over look though that Jackson had three catches in his first year and only played in seven games. His second year he had twenty seven catches and played in all sixteen only starting seven. Great NFL receiver yet he wasn't much his first two season. Brian Quick through two seasons, with two games left, has a total of twenty seven catches. Their YPC are off by .5.

Now I'm not saying he's Vincent Jackson 2.0. What I am saying is not every good/great player in the NFL comes in their first year or two and lights the league on fire with their play. Give the guy a chance. You're complaining that a guy who didn't even have a position coach in college hasn't grasped the nuances of an NFL offense fast enough for you. I don't care that he was a second round pick give the man a chance. Sometimes we're lucky to get lightning in a bottle and the players produce from the first snap of their rookie year. In all reality most years there isn't competition for the OROY and DROY cause there's only one or maybe two options of players actually having good rookie seasons.

Personally I hope the guy does just like VJ did. I just hope the Rams don't give up on him after two years. Cause years three and four are usually when young receivers put it all together.
    That's spot on.

The reality with a guy like Quick is, you can't conclusively evaluate him after two years. If he does not improve, oh well... its not like he's destroying the Rams' cap. If he does reach his potential, though, I hope its with the Rams rather than some team who claims him off waivers.
    Varg6 likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think Quick will start to show his worth come Year 3, especially when Bradford is back and Tavon is healthy. Of course, on paper, it makes all the sense in the world for him to flourish but only time will tell.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

demiurge is offline Registered User

Agreed. Quick is a devastating blocker so he has worth there, and he's coming along as a receiving threat. If you told me he'd have the longest completiong of the season instead of Austin, Givens or Cook at the beginning of the year I would have raised an eyebrow. He needs more consistency, but like all the other receivers, he's incredibly young. I'm happy with his progress and think he's likely to make a big jump in the next year or two.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast