Re: Brian Quick

What we wanted: Larry Fitzgerald

What we got: Brian Quick

Tell me when it's over,

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's spot on.

The reality with a guy like Quick is, you can't conclusively evaluate him after two years. If he does not improve, oh well... its not like he's destroying the Rams' cap. If he does reach his potential, though, I hope its with the Rams rather than some team who claims him off waivers.
    I agree that's the company line on BQ & it does intrigue, but there's still the question of whether The Rams had the luxury to make a longterm investment when they took him. Could/should The Rams have gone for a guy without the dizzying ceiling - didn't even have to be an Alshon- just a lower-risk good starter at any of the spots where The Rams needed & still need immediate help ? guess we won't know the answer to that until we find out whether BQ is just built like a stud or really will become one. But put BQ's knees on DX in his first two years & imagine the player we'd already have by now.

It's not unreasonable to hope for a solid contributor after two seasons at any position, if not a starter,from a guy taken at the top of the second round. BQ will get the chance to prove whether the VJ comparison is fair, it seems, but I don't think there's any doubt that the lack of contribution from Quick hindered this team's growth.

All well and good to hope he's the next VJ - every great play he makes I get goosebumps- but let's be real; there have been a buttload more busts than late-blooming VJs who put up similar numbers early on but never did blow up after all that promise.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-21-2013 at 06:56 AM.

punahou is offline Registered User

The main point with Quick is his draft position when taken. If hes taken in the 4th or 5th round fine, but to have been drafted where he was and have his return investment sub par is the reason for many people to feel like he is floundering.

The Rams made a good choice in Stacy. There is a large difference between Stacy and Quick though-- and that being the level of competition they played against.

Stacy played in the SEC and was very, very productive against superior defenses. Quick played against sub-optimal competition, and perhaps didnt have to apply himself do excel in his environment.

Also, for whatever reason, the NFL isnt placing a premium on RBs anymore, so perhaps NFL front offices arent as wowed by collegiate RB production as they have been in the past-- so a guy like Stacy slips throught he cracks to the lower rounds.
    bradwill likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

If there is one thing quick has excelled at so far is his blocking ability.

Last sunday when Stacy had those 2 long runs, 1 of them for a TD, guess who was blocking on the right side? Quick. It seems to me that the coaching staff puts him in the game for his blocking. I think they should start playing him as a WR. Although he does look lost most times when he does finally get the opportunity.

You guys want to blame the WR, but look at who is playing QB. However, give him credit for his ability to make plays happen (Blocking).

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Since part of his problem is getting physical with Corners, putting him into block might actually be designed to improve his mindset in that regard. Perhaps the coaches feel that getting him used to blocking and being physical in that regard will translate to a total mindset shift.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I feel bad for Brian. He's a guy I really like, I'm not sure why. I really hope he can get it together and just go out there and ball. IMO he's thinking too much and has too much going on upstairs. When we just put him out there and let him do his thing he's shown he can make plays.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I feel bad for Brian. He's a guy I really like, I'm not sure why. I really hope he can get it together and just go out there and ball. IMO he's thinking too much and has too much going on upstairs. When we just put him out there and let him do his thing he's shown he can make plays.
    I really like Quick as well. He has everything it takes to be a solid, even great NFL receiver, with the exception of a take no prisoners attitude. I just get the impression he's looking to be set up for success, as opposed to setting himself up. He needs that "just give me the damn ball" attitude. Hopefully, he finds it in 2014.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Demaryius Thomas took a while to develop too. Just give him some time. It also doesn't help that the second half of this season was a waste for him after Bradford went down.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

The Rams made a good choice in Stacy. There is a large difference between Stacy and Quick though-- and that being the level of competition they played against.

Stacy played in the SEC and was very, very productive against superior defenses. Quick played against sub-optimal competition, and perhaps didnt have to apply himself do excel in his environment.
    Exactly. While a lot of the SEC's defenses collapsed strangely this year, they were very tough during Stacy's career at Vandy. He proved himself at the highest level on an over-matched team playing some real beasts.

Quick has shown he has the willingness and desire....his downfield blocking is excellent and I certainly don't question his compete level. He's also got a skill-set that is pretty impressive. He just needs to put it all together and there is no way the Rams just give up on him after 2 years, IMO. He's a work in progress but has a lot of upside. That was what I am sure the Rams thought when they drafted him; let's develop the guy to the NFL level because he has that potential, but it won't be instant either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123