Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Brian Quick Expectations

  1. #1
    Judaxi's Avatar
    Judaxi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    25
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    10

    Brian Quick Expectations

    As someone who put a lot of stock into the Wideout position going into this years draft, I find myslef liking the Brian Quick pick at the top of the 2nd round. As well know, no thing is a sure thing, but I think we can take a look at a rookie wideout class from a few years ago to get an idea of what to expect from quick:

    Jeremy Maclin: 56 rec, 773 yds, 4tds (Missouri)
    Hakeem Nicks: 47 rec, 790 yds, 6tds (North Carolina)
    Kenny Britt: 42 rec, 701 yds, 3tds. (Rutgers)

    The reason I chose these three Wideouts to compare rookie seasons too is because A) They are all around the same size and skill set as Quick (Maclin is shorter but plays taller than he actually is) and B) Because they all played at smaller schools who aren't BCS power houses. I think Britt is the best comparison because he is about the same size, and because he was drafted and played for Fisher.

    After looking at these three recievers I would say a good bet on Quick's numbers by the end of this season would be 50 rec, 750 yards, and 5 tds.


  2. #2
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,987
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    How about Jones and Green as comparisons. The expectations and the opportunity for Quick are the same as if he was a high 1st Rd pick. SJ last week set the expectations for Quick...

    Jackson said. "But over the next six weeks, he's going to have to work real hard to be prepared for a long season, because we're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team."
    Much like Kendrick's last year, Quick will get targeted early and often this year. He's going to have a great opportunity to make a lot of catches this year. If he can learn the playbook and not get a case of the drops, Sam will get him the ball!

    Julio Jones

    Height: 6-3 Weight: 220 Age: 23

    REC 54 YARDS 959 TD 8


    A.J. Green

    Height: 6-4 Weight: 207

    REC 65 YARDS 1057 TD 7


    Brian Quick

    Height: 6-5 Weight: 220

    REC 60 YARDS 1001 TD 7
    live4ramin likes this.

  3. #3
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,421
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Great thread, this is insane though!

    " Brian Quick:
    16 G, 58 receptions, 743 yards, 12.8 avg, 5 TD's "

    I just finished a thread 20 minutes ago, had no clue this one was up, and have virtually the EXACT same stats as you. Its good to know someone else isn't expecting the world from the kid too!

    Great minds think alike?
    live4ramin and Judaxi like this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  4. #4
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How about Jones and Green as comparisons. The expectations and the opportunity for Quick are the same as if he was a high 1st Rd pick. SJ last week set the expectations for Quick...



    Much like Kendrick's last year, Quick will get targeted early and often this year. He's going to have a great opportunity to make a lot of catches this year. If he can learn the playbook and not get a case of the drops, Sam will get him the ball!

    Julio Jones

    Height: 6-3 Weight: 220 Age: 23

    REC 54 YARDS 959 TD 8


    A.J. Green

    Height: 6-4 Weight: 207

    REC 65 YARDS 1057 TD 7


    Brian Quick

    Height: 6-5 Weight: 220

    REC 60 YARDS 1001 TD 7
    I do not think Quick will outperform Julio Jones and gain 1001 receiving yards. I'd be surprised if he gained over 850. He will definitely be a big contributing factor with his WR ability, but I think it will take a couple more years for him to transition from Appalachian St. into a full-fledged NFL WR.

  5. #5
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    The reason I chose these three Wideouts to compare rookie seasons too is because A) They are all around the same size and skill set as Quick (Maclin is shorter but plays taller than he actually is) and B) Because they all played at smaller schools who aren't BCS power houses. I think Britt is the best comparison because he is about the same size, and because he was drafted and played for Fisher.

    After looking at these three recievers I would say a good bet on Quick's numbers by the end of this season would be 50 rec, 750 yards, and 5 tds.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I do not think Quick will outperform Julio Jones and gain 1001 receiving yards. I'd be surprised if he gained over 850. He will definitely be a big contributing factor with his WR ability, but I think it will take a couple more years for him to transition from Appalachian St. into a full-fledged NFL WR.
    Missouri and North Carolina and Rutgers are not comparable to Appalachian State, they play in much tougher conferences. Missouri achieved the #1 ranking in the nation while Maclin was there, in the Big 12, which is slightly tougher competition than division II. It's less relevant if the team they played for was a BCS contender year in and year out, and more relevant if they played against those types of teams.

    I think the comparison could be made better on the fact they came from similar offenses and thus will have similar difficulties adjusting to an NFL route tree (I actually don't know what offenses Nicks and Britt came from), but Maclin, Nicks, and Britt faced much more difficult defenses. Smarter coaches, more complex schemes, and better talent. Some may try to dump on the defenses of the conferences those players are in, and no, they aren't the SEC defenses, but they are better than what an average D2 team would put up.

    Not that Givens is unable to match them in talent, but I think his learning curve is more difficult, and expecting the same from him in year 1 may be a bit too optimistic for me.
    Bruce=GOAT likes this.

  6. #6
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,987
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I do not think Quick will outperform Julio Jones and gain 1001 receiving yards. I'd be surprised if he gained over 850. He will definitely be a big contributing factor with his WR ability, but I think it will take a couple more years for him to transition from Appalachian St. into a full-fledged NFL WR.
    He's is going to be our number one receiver from day one. That would make him a full-fledged NFL WR. That being said can he perform as a number one receiver in the NFL? I'm not buying into this small school stuff too much, I think it's over played. He like most rookies will have to adjust to the speed and the complexity of the NFL. The talent level will be like none other that he has faced, but he has all the skills sets to match up with the DB in the NFL. I think it's safe to say Quick has never had a QB as good as Bradford to get him the ball.

    He may fall short of 1000 or 800 yards, but he will get the opportunity to have a 1000 plus yards on this team. Can he deliver only time will tell.

  7. #7
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He's is going to be our number one receiver from day one. That would make him a full-fledged NFL WR.
    I disagree with this. Just because you put someone in a position where there is no better alternative, does not mean that person is yet ready to perform the duties needed. By full-fledged, I am implying that he will have a solid understanding of how higher-level football works, and will have refined his physical abilities.

    That being said can he perform as a number one receiver in the NFL? I'm not buying into this small school stuff too much, I think it's over played.
    Not sure why you dismiss his coming from a small school situation as overplayed. He is not coming from an SEC school. Not even a Big 12 or Big 10 school. He's coming from Appalachian St. What this means is that he is going up against players that are mediocre, and would never be a starter on a top-tier college football team. When players come from tough conferences, they are more likely to succeed in the transition from college football to the NFL because they faced the talent that helped them prepare for the transition. Does it mean that a SEC player is guaranteed to be a NFL star? No, but he is more likely to than say, a kid coming out of West Montana College of Liberal Arts.


    He like most rookies will have to adjust to the speed and the complexity of the NFL
    Yes, but taking into the account of each rookie's background, the transition is different for each player. Skills that made you thrive in Div. III, Div. II, and the weak bottom dwellers of Div. I will not guarantee you any success in the NFL.

    The talent level will be like none other that he has faced, but he has all the skills sets to match up with the DB in the NFL.
    As of now, the skill sets we have seen from him are against weaker CB's. He dominated them, which is a good sign...but we will have to see if he can successfully transfer and upgrade those skills for the next level of football.

    I think it's safe to say Quick has never had a QB as good as Bradford to get him the ball.
    True, but it's also safe to say Quick has never faced a CB as good as an NFL CB.

    He may fall short of 1000 or 800 yards, but he will get the opportunity to have a 1000 plus yards on this team. Can he deliver only time will tell.
    Yes he will, but Brandon Gibson also had the opportunity to do that last year and look what happened. Like I've been saying, just because you are thrust into the #1 role does not mean you by any means are ready for it.

    I don't think he is quite on par with A.J Green or Julio Jones yet, so I cannot foresee a 1000+ yard season coming for him in his rookie year.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -06-22-2012 at 02:51 PM.

  8. #8
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    If he produces:

    56 receptions (3.5/game)
    756 yards (13.5/reception)
    6 TDs

    I'll consider that a very good rookie campaign.

  9. #9
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,201
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    As someone who put a lot of stock into the Wideout position going into this years draft, I find myslef liking the Brian Quick pick at the top of the 2nd round. As well know, no thing is a sure thing, but I think we can take a look at a rookie wideout class from a few years ago to get an idea of what to expect from quick:

    Jeremy Maclin: 56 rec, 773 yds, 4tds (Missouri)
    Hakeem Nicks: 47 rec, 790 yds, 6tds (North Carolina)
    Kenny Britt: 42 rec, 701 yds, 3tds. (Rutgers)

    The reason I chose these three Wideouts to compare rookie seasons too is because A) They are all around the same size and skill set as Quick (Maclin is shorter but plays taller than he actually is) and B) Because they all played at smaller schools who aren't BCS power houses. I think Britt is the best comparison because he is about the same size, and because he was drafted and played for Fisher.

    After looking at these three recievers I would say a good bet on Quick's numbers by the end of this season would be 50 rec, 750 yards, and 5 tds.
    If you tell me Quick will have comparable numbers in 2012 to these guys listed above, I'll sign on in a heartbeat. The REAL question for me is whether or not Quick is our long term answer to the dearth of quality receivers on this roster. Quick putting up stats like Maclin, Britt and Nicks this season would encourage me to think in the affirmative.

    Thinking it may take more of a learning curve for a guy coming from a smaller school is legitimate. Playing against the Bowling Greens of the world on a weekly basis is a far cry from the larger schools many high draftees face. But talent is talent- it didn't hurt Walter Payton (Jackson St.) or Jerry Rice (MIss. Valley St.). If Snead and Fisher's assessment of Quick is accurate, he'll play well.
    live4ramin and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

  10. #10
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,987
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I disagree with this. Just because you put someone in a position where there is no better alternative, does not mean that person is yet ready to perform the duties needed. By full-fledged, I am implying that he will have a solid understanding of how higher-level football works, and will have refined his physical abilities.
    Finish what I said...He's is going to be our number one receiver from day one. That would make him a full-fledged NFL WR. That being said can he perform as a number one receiver in the NFL?


    My point is he is a high draft pick and will be treated as a high draft pick and get the opportunity to perform. High draft picks that start usually are considered NFL ready, Does not mean they won't get better over time. But as SJ said, we're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now.



    Not sure why you dismiss his coming from a small school situation as overplayed. He is not coming from an SEC school. Not even a Big 12 or Big 10 school. He's coming from Appalachian St. What this means is that he is going up against players that are mediocre, and would never be a starter on a top-tier college football team. When players come from tough conferences, they are more likely to succeed in the transition from college football to the NFL because they faced the talent that helped them prepare for the transition. Does it mean that a SEC player is guaranteed to be a NFL star? No, but he is more likely to than say, a kid coming out of West Montana College of Liberal Arts.
    I'm in this camp... not the Cosell is right or wrong. I just happen to agree with him on this.

    by Greg Cosell...Many will use the small school component of Quick’s résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it’s gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who’s significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It’s not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick’s physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins.

    My point is this: Think through the process and all that’s involved before you come to a conclusion. Challenge accepted assumptions. NFL teams spend a lot of time studying, evaluating, and researching, not only players in any given draft, but trends and tendencies over time. Of course, they will make mistakes, as we all do. But as I said earlier, and it’s worth repeating, no 2012 draft choice has yet played in the NFL so his value cannot yet be accurately quantified.


    Yes, but taking into the account of each rookie's background, the transition is different for each player. Skills that made you thrive in Div. III, Div. II, and the weak bottom dwellers of Div. I will not guarantee you any success in the NFL.
    This I agree with.. weather you are from a big school or small there are no guarantees, but having the measurable coming into helps. I'm not basing Quick future success from the numbers he put up, I'm saying his measurable can't be ignored.


    As of now, the skill sets we have seen from him are against weaker CB's. He dominated them, which is a good sign...but we will have to see if he can successfully transfer and upgrade those skills for the next level of football.
    We have not seen that from any player drafted yet.. so how can you hold that against him. All we have is the fact that out FO and two QB, flew in a private jets to work him out and where blown away. Word from Ram OTAs on Quick is that he's impressed the coaching staff thus far. That's all we have until he plays in games...


    True, but it's also safe to say Quick has never faced a CB as good as an NFL CB.
    In the NFL the offense has a big advantage these days... the CB can only do so much...
    I have read Quick has a good chance to play well and have early success because of the rules... this is not the same league Jerry Rice had to learn how to play in, this is don;t touch the WR after five yards. I think Quick and his 6'5" 220 LB frame will do just fine in this pass happy league.


    Yes he will, but Brandon Gibson also had the opportunity to do that last year and look what happened. Like I've been saying, just because you are thrust into the #1 role does not mean you by any means are ready for it.
    Brandon Gibson was never going to be considered the top target and he does not even come close to Quick's measurable 6'5" 220 LB.. GB 6' 0", 205 LB.

    I don't think he is quite on par with A.J Green or Julio Jones yet, so I cannot foresee a 1000+ yard season coming for him in his rookie year.
    I think he will be given the opportunity to put up numbers that these guys do, will he do it in his first year.. he may not but you never know.

    Here is another guy you cold compare him to...

    Marques Colston 6' 4", 225 LB

    His rookie year played in 14 games 70 catches 1038 yards. Drafted in the


    NEW ORLEANS -- Marques Colston's rise from little known Division I-AA prospect to one of Drew Brees' go-to receivers has been so sudden, even the coach who had a hand in taking him in the seventh round of the NFL draft couldn't see it coming.

    "If we loved him we would have drafted him in the third round or the fourth round, so we liked him," new Saints head coach Sean Payton recalled after a recent practice, his eyes smiling as if he'd just been dealt 21 at a black jack table. "We thought he had all those tools that are necessary and yet there's that uncertainty as to all the other things. So I'm excited about a young player."

    Colston, who played at Hofstra last season, made four clutch catches in the Saints' season-opening victory over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. All came on third downs -- three for first downs, the other for New Orleans' only touchdown.

    He was not even certain to make the roster on draft day, yet Colston strolled calmly from the end zone after his first NFL touchdown. His veteran quarterback was the one who looked like the excitable rookie, leaping up to smack the 6-foot-4 receiver on the helmet and shoulder pads.

    "He's a big-play receiver. He's a possession receiver, he's a throw-it-up-and-let-him-jump and-get-it receiver," Brees said. "I don't think he's limited in any way. So that makes it exciting for me."

    Colston said he remembers the play -- a short crossing route which he finished by diving across the goal line between a pair of defenders -- but very little about his subsequent walk to the sidelines with teammates engulfing him.

    "It's such a long season. I'm trying not to allow myself to have peaks and valleys -- keep it level as much as possible," said Colston, who also had one lowlight when a potential big gain on a flea-flicker was slapped from his hands.

    "I'm just trying to be professional about it," he said. "You start taking things for more than they're worth, that's when you get in trouble."

    His tendency to be calm may be hereditary. Colston's mother was among 14 relatives and close friends who drove to Cleveland from their homes in Pennsylvania to see the young receiver's debut.

    When they met after the game, "My mom came down and said: 'Was that you that scored?," Colston recalled. Her deadpan delivery had him uncertain whether she was joking at first.

    On the field and in the locker room, Colston is quiet and rarely animated. The introspective, former psychology student spends much of his free time relaxing in front of the television, generally keeping to himself and rarely going out, he said.

    "He has a very calm personality. He's very composed. ... He's never been a player who showboats or draws attention to himself," said Hofstra wide receivers coach Jaime Elizondo, whom Colston still calls weekly. "He lost his father in his teen years and I think that had an effect on him."

    Colston also had to overcome a shoulder injury that kept him out of what would have been his senior season in college.

    "That made him mature and appreciate how much he loved the game," Elizondo said.

    Colston returned the following season, making 70 catches for 975 yards and five touchdowns, including a 74-yard score on a screen in which he made some defenders miss, broke a few tackles and ended up on the far sideline.

    "He probably ran 140 yards on that particular play," Elizondo recalled. "He made a lot of people miss. He really should have been tackled because the blocking wasn't great. He did a lot of that work on his own."

    Colston was only 180 pounds coming out of a small high school in Susquehanna Township, Pa.

    Major college programs never noticed him.

    "I really wasn't a hot prospect," he said.

    At Hofstra, which has produced several current and former pros, including Wayne Chrebet, Colston slowly grew into a prototypical NFL receiver, building a sturdy 230-pound frame around his exceptional height.

    In training camp, Colston showed he could run well, adjust to the ball in the air and make graceful leaping catches on high throws, arms extended above his head like a ballet dancer as he snared the ball with his hands.

    "He's a good matchup on anybody man-to-man just because he's such a big target and he's a guy I feel very confident throwing to," Brees said. "Keep in mind that every cornerback that stands next to Colston is a small cornerback."

    Saints coaches started playing him with the first team during preseason, then traded last season's leading receiver, Donte' Stallworth, to Philadelphia in exchange for a much needed linebacker.

    On opening week, at least, the logic behind the deal played out. New linebacker Mark Simoneau started for a Saints defense that held the Browns to 186 total yards and only 85 yards rushing. And while Stallworth had a touchdown catch, so, too, did Colston.

    "I knew he was going to be a catch for somebody, just having coached the kid, knowing his demeanor, how much he loved the game, how he understood defenses," Elizondo said. "I also knew his best football was still ahead of him."
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    live4ramin likes this.

  11. #11
    Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    There is a point no one hit on and to me its a combination of physical attributes, coaching, and work ethic. Ive never seen him play but if he works hard, is fast enough to get seperation, the coaches design plays to but him in the optimal position to succeed, and he can catche. There isnt much a defense can do with a 6" 4' reciever jump up or reach out to catch a ball. Most dbs are around 6ft tall.

  12. #12
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Finish what I said...He's is going to be our number one receiver from day one. That would make him a full-fledged NFL WR. That being said can he perform as a number one receiver in the NFL?


    My point is he is a high draft pick and will be treated as a high draft pick and get the opportunity to perform. High draft picks that start usually are considered NFL ready, Does not mean they won't get better over time. But as SJ said, we're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now.
    Not all high draft picks are considered NFL ready. Many times, teams just thrust their raw high draft picks into NFL games, and usually the result is a mixed bag, with more average results than great ones.

    Like you said, he will get better in time. And that is what I am getting at. He will get better in time. As of now, I don't think he is capable of achieving a 1000+ rookie season, which very few rookie WRs have ever done.


    This I agree with.. weather you are from a big school or small there are no guarantees, but having the measurable coming into helps. I'm not basing Quick future success from the numbers he put up, I'm saying his measurable can't be ignored.
    Obviously Quick has great measurables. I'm not arguing or disagreeing with that fact. But it's going to take more than just measurables to help him transition to the NFL. Look at Mike Williams. Look at Roy Williams. Look at Limas Sweed. They were all physical specimen, but they never transitioned well into the NFL.


    We have not seen that from any player drafted yet.. so how can you hold that against him. All we have is the fact that out FO and two QB, flew in a private jets to work him out and where blown away. Word from Ram OTAs on Quick is that he's impressed the coaching staff thus far. That's all we have until he plays in games...
    Seen what? That they dominated weaker competition? Sure we have. Jenkins dominated at Northern Alabama. And like I have been saying, any receiver can look great catching a spectacular ball in shorts and without the fear of getting hit by a 250lb linebacker. Look at the past receivers we've had in camp. The word in camp was that they were "awesome" and now they aren't even in the NFL anymore.


    In the NFL the offense has a big advantage these days... the CB can only do so much...
    I have read Quick has a good chance to play well and have early success because of the rules... this is not the same league Jerry Rice had to learn how to play in, this is don;t touch the WR after five yards. I think Quick and his 6'5" 220 LB frame will do just fine in this pass happy league.
    Quick is 6'3. And like I said earlier, measurables are not the only important thing. He will be going up against talented CBs on a skill tier he's never seen or played against. Those experienced CBs know the in's and out's of pro football, while Quick is barely scratching the surface. This is the main reason why I believe Quick won't have the impact you believe he will.




    Brandon Gibson was never going to be considered the top target and he does not even come close to Quick's measurable 6'5" 220 LB.. GB 6' 0", 205 LB.
    Yes, but like you said...if he is our #1 receiver, that makes him a full-fledged WR right? Obviously not, Brandon Gibson was above average at best. Quick may be our #1 WR on Day One, but he is going to have a shocking season to post 1000+ receiving yards.



    I think he will be given the opportunity to put up numbers that these guys do, will he do it in his first year.. he may not but you never know.

    Here is another guy you cold compare him to...

    Marques Colston 6' 4", 225 LB
    Yes he will have the opportunity to, but with analyzing his skill sets, experience, situation, it's likely to he will not be that statistical monster you project him to be in his rookie year.

    If he does gain 1000+ yards, I would have no complaints, as I am a big fan of Quick and I do not like arguing against him, but 1000+ is pretty unrealistic.


    As for Colston, he was placed into a good situation on a good team. That Saints team went to the NFC Championship Game. They had a top-tier QB in Brees. They had a talented o-line with Jamaal Brown, Jahri Evans, John Stinchcomb, and Jeff Faine. They had a better WR corps. then us led by veteran savvy Joe Horn and speedster Devery Henderson.

    Colston got very lucky in the situation he was put in, and fared much better than the normal 7th round rookie.

    Like I said, time will tell. 1000+ receiving yards? Great. But like others have said also, a 700-800 season would be the realistic projection for him and a solid rookie season.

  13. #13
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,987
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    [QUOTE=RockinRam;429781]
    Not all high draft picks are considered NFL ready. Many times, teams just thrust their raw high draft picks into NFL games, and usually the result is a mixed bag, with more average results than great ones.

    Like you said, he will get better in time. And that is what I am getting at. He will get better in time. As of now, I don't think he is capable of achieving a 1000+ rookie season, which very few rookie WRs have ever done.
    Quick will be handed the keys to the car... he will be treated like he was a top 10 pick. Your right it can be a mixed bag, I think he will be very successful early.

    Obviously Quick has great measurables. I'm not arguing or disagreeing with that fact. But it's going to take more than just measurables to help him transition to the NFL. Look at Mike Williams. Look at Roy Williams. Look at Limas Sweed. They were all physical specimen, but they never transitioned well into the NFL.
    I agree it does take more then size and speed, but I said it does not hurt to have them... of course you need all the other things, work ethic, love of the game, drive ect.

    Seen what? That they dominated weaker competition? Sure we have. Jenkins dominated at Northern Alabama. And like I have been saying, any receiver can look great catching a spectacular ball in shorts and without the fear of getting hit by a 250lb linebacker. Look at the past receivers we've had in camp. The word in camp was that they were "awesome" and now they aren't even in the NFL anymore.
    Again with the small school stuff... again I will defer to Colston early success. My point is we have not seen him play all we have is what we have read or seen in his small school game tape. OTA's it's not just about how he looks on the practice field, how he's picking up the massive amount of plays he learning. How he is adjusting to the NFL practice ect. It not about he look pretty catches passes.

    Take Blackmom OTA report:

    Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey has been on the field with Blackmon during the team's organized team activities this week and offered an honest assessment of the rookie's progress.

    "When he knows what he's doing, he's very good," Mularkey told WTEV-TV on Tuesday. "When he doesn't, he's lost."
    My point is this is about the mental, not can he take a hit over the middle...


    Quick is 6'3. And like I said earlier, measurables are not the only important thing. He will be going up against talented CBs on a skill tier he's never seen or played against. Those experienced CBs know the in's and out's of pro football, while Quick is barely scratching the surface. This is the main reason why I believe Quick won't have the impact you believe he will.
    Again I will defer to Colston


    Yes, but like you said...if he is our #1 receiver, that makes him a full-fledged WR right? Obviously not, Brandon Gibson was above average at best. Quick may be our #1 WR on Day One, but he is going to have a shocking season to post 1000+ receiving yards.
    Why are you comparing Brandon Gibson to Quick? You can't be serious are you? Gibson was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft.
    Gibson only played in 9 games for the rams as a rookie, he played behind Avery and Laurent. Quick will be our number one, he will get targeted.


    2009 St Louis Rams Wide Receivers:
    * Donnie Avery - 5'11" 190 -
    * Laurent Robinson - 6'2" 195 -
    * Keenan Burton - 6'1" 200 -
    * Brooks Foster - 6'3" 205 -

    Yes he will have the opportunity to, but with analyzing his skill sets, experience, situation, it's likely to he will not be that statistical monster you project him to be in his rookie year.
    He may not but we shall soon see...

    If he does gain 1000+ yards, I would have no complaints, as I am a big fan of Quick and I do not like arguing against him, but 1000+ is pretty unrealistic.
    Yeah it is, but it's possible.

    As for Colston, he was placed into a good situation on a good team. That Saints team went to the NFC Championship Game. They had a top-tier QB in Brees. They had a talented o-line with Jamaal Brown, Jahri Evans, John Stinchcomb, and Jeff Faine. They had a better WR corps. then us led by veteran savvy Joe Horn and speedster Devery Henderson.

    Colston got very lucky in the situation he was put in, and fared much better than the normal 7th round rookie.

    Like I said, time will tell. 1000+ receiving yards? Great. But like others have said also, a 700-800 season would be the realistic projection for him and a solid rookie season.
    I guess all that small school stuff you where talking about was lost in translation somewhere... See Colston never faced that kind of talent but yet he was good enough to play with them. It does not matter if the QB and the O line are great, if the WR cant's beat the DB due to lack of talent or experience he faces he would not be successful. That was your point right, the talent level will be such a huge jump it will take a few years for a player from a small school to adjust right?

    I disagree, if the player is special he will rise to the top period. Is Quick special only time will tell. The Rams FO think he is...

  14. #14
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,321
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    I'd like to see him surpass what Donnie Avery did as a second-round rookie wide receiver in 2008 (with Holt across from him no less): 53 rec, 674 yards, 3 TDs.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  15. #15
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,992
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Brian Quick Expectations

    Here are my expectations:

    Quickly learns playbook
    Quickly estalishes himself as the Rams number 1 target
    Quickly has otehrs in NFL take notice of his production
    Quickly becomes sams go to guy
    Quick off the line
    Quick to extend himself and make spectacular grabs
    Quickly makes the pro bowl


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: -06-23-2012, 03:58 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
  3. Brian Quick @ 33?
    By sosa39rams in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: -05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
  4. Evaluation please on brian quick, wr appalachian state
    By general counsel in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  5. Brian Quick Video Highlights
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -04-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •