Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Brian Schottenheimer has been offered OC job with Rams

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Brian Schottenheimer has been offered OC job with Rams

Shotty has a track record of siginificantly less futility than many out there. Let's be honest, lucking out and getting the most amazing OC out there (By established reputation) isn't very common, but neither does it always work out (Josh McDaniels). Neither is it all that common for a guy with a solid track record to just be sitting out there waiting for a team to pick him up, like Fisher and Shotty. Frankly I'll be happy just to have gusy who have proven they have at least an idea about what they are doing out there.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

what kind of offense does shotty run?

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I was against this move earlier. More and more this might be a good pick up.

1.) Rams aren't the free for all environment Ryan and Jets are
    2.) Bradford is better than Sanchez
    3.) Santonio Holmes pretty much quit and it was either him out or shotty out. Shottenheimer stood up against Holmes for not trying hard. With a contract that is hard to get out of Jets had to get rid of Shotty and not Holmes.

I think Shotty will turn this offense around, I am sure of it now. I been doing some research and believe me I was the one that was completely against it. But I think this is actually in our favor now
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    what kind of offense does shotty run?
    West coast offense based on short quick slants. Normally I would be for this offense but his inability to call the right plays over the last couple of years makes this a bad move.

GoSTLRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    West coast offense based on short quick slants. Normally I would be for this offense but his inability to call the right plays over the last couple of years makes this a bad move.
    That's what bothers me, also. There are a lot of people who say he held back Favre, CP10, and Sanchez in NY and hindered the development of Drew Brees in SD. Also, how players (Favre, Mason, Holmes) pretty much openly revolted against him. I'm not sure of a lot of that stuff because it's hard to know what goes on behind closed doors and on the sideline.

But I do know what I saw with my own eyes, and I've seen most Jets games the past couple years, so I've seen his playcalling. The Jets have had tells in their formations for the past three years. If I know what's coming, the defense knows what's coming. The only thing that I could think of was maybe Schotty didn't care, thinking that if his players executed correctly, it didn't really matter if the defense knew what was coming. Even if that were the case, it's still an awfully arrogant attitude, especially for an OC whose offenses struggle to crack the top ten in points scored, but I suppose arrogance would be preferable to incompetence.

Anyhow, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope this hire is a good one. I do think we'll see improvements over last year, but that's not a high hill to climb. I'll be out there every Sunday cheering for the Rams as always...Schotty or not.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Confirming the released news by Lombardi (THOLTFAN81's post here [#3])...

Brian Schottenheimer to take Rams' OC job, pending contract
    From NFL.com:Published: Jan. 15, 2012 at 08:28 p.m. Updated: Jan. 15, 2012 at 08:40 p.m.

Brian Schottenheimer has been offered the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator job and will accept the position on new coach Jeff Fisher's staff, a league source said Sunday night.

All that's left to make it official is for the contract to be completed, according to the source.

Fisher and Schottenheimer, the New York Jets' former offensive coordinator, spent Sunday night at dinner discussing the position.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported that Schottenheimer's interview with the Rams began Sunday morning, two days after he talked with the University of Alabama about its offensive coordinator vacancy.

Schottenheimer told the Jets on Tuesday that he wouldn't return next season after six years of running an offense that often failed to live up to expectations. The Jets quickly hired former Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano to replace Schottenheimer.

The Rams agreed to terms with Fisher to be their coach Friday, and the team later confirmed it is finalizing the details of the contract.
    Brian Schottenheimer

Date of birth: October 16, 1973 (age 38)
    Place of birth: Denver, Colorado
    College: Florida
    Position(s): Offensive coordinator / QB coach

Career: Team(s) as a coach / assistant / administrator:

1997: St. Louis Rams
    1998: Kansas City Chiefs
    1999: Syracuse
    2000: USC
    2001: Washington Redskins (QBs coach)

2002-2005: San Diego Chargers (QBs coach)
    2006-2011: New York Jets (OC)
    2012-: STL Rams (OC)

Last edited by RealRam; -01-16-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Image

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Just when I was getting excited about The Rams and was certain the offense couldn't be any worse in 2012.... I'll try to stay optomistic though and hope for the best even though I've seen every Jets game in the last 5 years. Hopefully he is not truly incompetent and it was just his lack of QB talent and defensive minded head coaches that held him back.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Maybe Brian has "The Gleam".
    laram0 likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Just when I was feeling a little better about the Fisher hiring...he goes and does THIS. Incredibly suspect move. This guy was a total train wreck in NY. They were brutal to watch (on offense) at times. Somehow, he is going to magically be 'the answer' for the disaster that has been the Rams offense for the last half decade? Oh boy!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Yea I'm not sure how anyone can consider an Schottenheirmer an improvement.

Last year as the Jets' OC his team only scored twice as many points per game as the Rams.

The Jets only scored 27 more touchdowns than the Rams.

They Jets were only able to score a touchdown in the RedZone a pathetic 36 times out of 55 opportunities for a success rate of 65.5.

And the Jet record last year was 8 and 8. Needless to say if the Rams went 8 and 8 in 2012 it will be considered a colossal failure and we will have to blow up the coaching staff again.

Dark days ahead.... dark days ahead.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

The best thing about this move for me is the stability, he will bring to the franchise. It would be foolish for the Rams to hire someone who could leave at the end of the season. It's imperative now that Sam Bradford stay's in the same system for the next few years. So I think hiring BS would be a good idea going forward.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    The Jets only scored 27 more touchdowns than the Rams.
    I'll take that over an OC who's scored significantly less with us. In other words, he's already an upgrade.

He utilizes a lot of slant routes huh? This increases our chances of getting Justin Blackmon since he's known for slant routes.

JimmyG37 is offline Registered User

I don't know how Schottenheimer will work out as OC, or how Williams will work out as DC, but I do know that Jeff Fisher knows a whole heck of a lot more about football than I and anyone here know. I also think that a coach should have the opportunity to bring in the personnel that they want. If it doesn't work out, then questions need to be answered about it, but I'm willing to let Fisher hire the people he wants.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I thought Schotty came from an Air Coryell background so that means more deep throws. But I guess that makes sense seeing what he's done with Sanchez.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I thought Schotty came from an Air Coryell background
    A recent Bernie article supports that...

So what can we expect from Schottenheimer? His roots come from the Don Coryell and Ernie Zampese tree that also produced Mike Martz. I don't have the time or space to bore you with a detailed history of that offensive style, but some components would certainly fit Bradford's skill set. The offense would feature a lot of spread formations, with Bradford firing away from the shoutgun. But the Rams, as currently assembled, don't have the personnel to make that system work.

Here's the deal ... we don't know if the Rams would run a version of the Coryell offense. Don't forget, the Jets were primarily a running team in 2009 and 2010, and rode that (and the defense) to a spot in the AFC title game. The Rams are going to install an offense that matches Fisher's core philosophies. And we know he likes to run the football.

So rather than assume anything, let's see what Schottenheimer and Fisher plan on doing on offense before deciding if it makes sense for the Rams and Bradford.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast