Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Brian Schottenheimer has been offered OC job with Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Brian Schottenheimer has been offered OC job with Rams

I hope Schottenheimer improves on his adjustments when things don't go as planned because he struggled doing that with the Jets, and it's almost a certainty that the Rams are going to struggle gettting out of the gate next season. I also hope he realizes he's not going to have the benefit of an All-Pro OL, something he had in NY. THAT will be a huge issue he'll need to deal with.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

CONS
    1) System too complex Ė It has been said by some Jets players that Sanchez often didnít feel comfortable with game plans and looked defeated in practice and on the sideline before the game even began;
    2) System not designed or really tailored to the talents of his players, rather like many NFL coaches he tried to fit square pegs into round holes;
    3) Doesnít seem to learn from mistakes, be very flexible or able to make adjustments quickly in games;
    4) Some of his play designs are seriously flawed, yet he calls them over and over and they never succeed (WR reverse with Cotchery);
    5) Takes too long to get plays into the QB, resulting sometimes in wasting TOs or getting a delay of game penalties, also the defense almost always knew when the ball was going to be snapped (the play clock at 1 second or 0) so the Jets could never catch opponents off guard or draw them offsides;
    6) Horrible at play calling, very predictable Ė too many formations, but few plays out of each formation;
    7) Seemed to call pass routes that were always short of the 1st down marker resulting in too many 3 and outs;
    8) There were some pass routes that the Jets never ran, and opponents knew they didnít have to worry about those routes;
    9) Discipline was awful Ė lots of drives were hurt or killed by stupid illegal formation and illegal procedure penalties;
    10) Too often the offense came out flat and took the whole first half to get going;
    11) The offense was worst when they had the most time to prepare Ė he admitted that he got too cute and thought too much;
    12) Didnít exploit mismatches or take advantage of injuries to opposing DBs;
    13) Didnít game plan to take advantage of opponents weaknesses Ė would have Sanchez throw the ball 50 times against teams with horrible run D and would run the ball 50 times against teams with horrible pass D;
    14) Didnít keep S. Holmes in check;
    15) Didnít call plays to help get Sanchez in a rhythm at beginning of games, would ignore playmakers for long stretches of time;
    There are probably others Iím forgetting

PROS
    1) Is young and has a chance at least to learn
    2) Is creative at times

Looks like the Cons far outweigh the Pros. I haven't read anything positive yet, and am worried about this signing.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Pro - Fisher wants him. Nuff said.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Yea I'm not sure how anyone can consider an Schottenheirmer an improvement.

Last year as the Jets' OC his team only scored twice as many points per game as the Rams.

The Jets only scored 27 more touchdowns than the Rams.

They Jets were only able to score a touchdown in the RedZone a pathetic 36 times out of 55 opportunities for a success rate of 65.5.

And the Jet record last year was 8 and 8. Needless to say if the Rams went 8 and 8 in 2012 it will be considered a colossal failure and we will have to blow up the coaching staff again.

Dark days ahead.... dark days ahead.
    He had former Pro Bowlers/proven performers all over the offense (many of whom performed at high levels PRIOR to arriving in NY). How many of those are on the Rams roster?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    He had former Pro Bowlers/proven performers all over the offense (many of whom performed at high levels PRIOR to arriving in NY). How many of those are on the Rams roster?
    What is on the Rams roster will have to change of course... but that is true no matter who you bring in.

In my opinion no OC could come in here, keep the same players and make it work.

This isn't a tweak... it's an overhaul. : )
    BlueTalon likes this.

By overhaul I mean that Bradford, Jackson and Amendola are the only locks for me on offense. Everyone else needs to fight for their spot.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Including the mediocre game-manager of a QB Sanchez. Outside of the top 2 or 3 offenses you can rip into everyone's gameplan, and even then you can do it with the top offenses. Maybe our talent wasn't so bad, but the coaching was awful? I for one thought McD didnt adjust his system to maximize the players, he tried to make them fit where they didn't belong.

punahou is offline Registered User

What is... or is there a connection that Fisher has with Bschott? Im too am curious as to why this was the choice, when (at least to the publics' eye)- no other OC have been interviewed and considered.

I am somewhat skeptical of this choice as I feel he is similar to Shurmer. And we all know that the Rams offense wasnt overtly productive int the red zone or stretching the field when needed under Shurmer.

But we'll see now. The upcoming draft will be crucial for this team that desperatley needs playmakers to plug into key offense positions.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I believe in fishers choice and im going with it.Fisher is in this for the long hual and wants to win,he didnt bring Brian in because he was the flashy pick he brought him in because he clearly thought he was the right man for the job.Lets not over analyze this to much now guys,fisher will keep him in check so if he gets to cute i think fish will step in and intervine with the play calling if it gets out of hand.

TheStevenJackson5 is offline Registered User

Living in the NYC area, watching Shotty was brutal. I hope you guys are ready for 3rd and 6 shotgun draw plays. I understand Fisher wants him so thats the silver lining but I don't like this move.

general counsel is offline Registered User

It never ceases to amaze me how people give the players credit when things go well and blame the coaches when they dont. This is scapegoat 101. The Jets offensive results over the last couple of years have been very good. This season they took a step back. Why? Was shotty a different coach or did the injuries to the o line, the injuries to the running backs (and their age), the awol of holmes attitude, the regression of sanchez have a lot to do with it. Keep in mind shotty didnt decide on his own to open up the offense, rex ryan was certainly part of that decision. Look at the jets running history over the prior years and see how it matches fisher's coaching history. Look if you want at the playoff record.

More than anything else, fisher is in the best position to determine how good a coach someone is for his system, rather than simply judging statistics or what a fan sees on tv.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

TheStevenJackson5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how people give the players credit when things go well and blame the coaches when they dont. This is scapegoat 101. The Jets offensive results over the last couple of years have been very good. This season they took a step back. Why? Was shotty a different coach or did the injuries to the o line, the injuries to the running backs (and their age), the awol of holmes attitude, the regression of sanchez have a lot to do with it. Keep in mind shotty didnt decide on his own to open up the offense, rex ryan was certainly part of that decision. Look at the jets running history over the prior years and see how it matches fisher's coaching history. Look if you want at the playoff record.

More than anything else, fisher is in the best position to determine how good a coach someone is for his system, rather than simply judging statistics or what a fan sees on tv.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree with this. I guess just from watching Shotty all year on an underacheiving ****-talking Jets team made me kind of soured on him. I will reserve judgement until the mid-way point.

[QUOTE=TheStevenJackson5;413763 I hope you guys are ready for 3rd and 6 shotgun draw plays. [/QUOTE]

Ready for it. That has been the only play in our playbook for 3rd and 5+ for the last three years. : )

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    This is why it is extremely difficult to judge OC's. Im more of the opinion that the ultimate responsibility should fall on the players. Especially the QB and the playmakers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234