Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Brian Schottenheimer interviews for the Vanderbilt head coaching vacancy

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Brian Schottenheimer interviews for the Vanderbilt head coaching vacancy

RotoWorld: Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer will interview for the Vanderbilt head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.

Schottenheimer seems to get head-coaching interviews every year, and we're not sure why. His offenses are unimaginative and vanilla on an annual basis. In 2013, he couldn't find a way to use Tavon Austin and didn't feature high-priced TE Jared Cook nearly enough. Schotty likes to run a ground-and-pound offense. He did that with former Vanderbilt star Zac Stacy this past season and relied on Shonn Greene in the past. Schottenheimer has been the Rams' OC the past two seasons. Colts OC Pep Hamilton is also in the mix at Vandy.

Could Schotty leaving be a good thing for us? We have made big efforts bringing in spread style players and he only has success coaching a ground and pound attack.
    AvengerRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Brian Schottenheimer interviews for the Vanderbilt head coaching vacancy

Interesting.

I have my doubts that he'll leave, but if he did, the Rams would have to scramble to find a replacement, as there does not seem to be an heir apparent on the staff, other than Frank Cignetti (who has coordinator experience at the college level, but not the pro level).

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Are there any good OCs out there we could bring in?
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Randart is online now Registered User

I will say this if Sam is ready for game one I hope Schotty either does not leave or teaches his system verbage to the new guy. Cause we all know Sammy and the team are finally getting compfortable with the offense inspite of it being bland X. Something to consider there, remember how much is made of having to learn new systems? What is the general consensus on this, a two year learning curve? etc.

So as much as many fans want Schotty gone I am not one of them. Just hope he is the kind of man who is open to what is possiable in his system and keeps things fresh for our offense going forward. I think he could improve his calls and his style without changing his systems. Takes a wise man to know he is but a student even when he is the teaching master...

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think Frank Cignetti would get the job. Fisher already knows what he wants that's why he hired him in the first place right. At Rutgers he ran a conservative, ball-control offense making the play action a big part of the offensive game plan. Not much will change if he gets the gig.
    Rammed and Randart like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

If Schotty does leave, I'd go after Norv Turner. Still under contract with the Browns i believe but not sure what is going on up there. Did they find a HC yet?

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    If Schotty does leave, I'd go after Norv Turner. Still under contract with the Browns i believe but not sure what is going on up there. Did they find a HC yet?
    Definitely would go after Norv Turner, Bradford will benefit under his tutelage.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Once again, Schottenheimer getting bad mouthed for "unimaginative" play calling, yet he gets no credit for taking an average back-up QB and a bunch of raw, less-than-good receivers and winning 4 games with them. What would you have him do? Run reverses every third play? Throw 50 yard post patterns all afternoon? The criticism is largely unjustified. He did a decent job with poor options. Oh yeah- Zac Stacy came out of nowhere to run for almost 1000 yards. I guess Schottenheimer played no role in his development.

I can't see him becoming the next head coach at Vanderbilt. But if he does, you can do a lot worse than Brian Schottenheimer as your OC. If Fisher thought he couldn't effective run a certain offense with the personnel that was being drafted, he would have gotten rid of him at the start of the season.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not always pleased with what Schotty does, but as NJ noted, he did a lot of good things with an offense that was in flux most of the season.

I'd like to see him remain the Rams OC, and continue to develop a young offense full of potential. A big factor for me is that by all indications, he and Bradford have a great working relationship. Bradford has made it pretty clear that he likes the offense, feels comfortable executing it, and sees continuity as a major key to success.

Here is what he said last year at this time when Schotty was being considered for some head coaching positions :

“You have no idea,” Bradford said. “I’m extremely excited about the future of this team and this organization. Hopefully for the first time since I’ve been here, we’ll come back with the same staff, the same offense and just be able to build on what we were able to do this year.

“It’s not easy changing offenses and changing systems. I really like what we’re doing. I really like Schotty and what he was able to do this year. Hopefully he’s back, hopefully this whole staff is back and we can just fine tune everything and start working on the little things.”
    After being on pace to have his best season ever in 2013, my guess is Bradford feels the same going into 2014.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with NJ. Schotty gets all the blame for a non-productive offense when in fact maybe the players are to blame. I don't buy the fact the fact that he cannot develop a more open offense. And BTW for those who want Norv Turner, be careful what you ask for; I cannot think of a more diametrically opposite offensive philosophy to Jeff Fisher's run first offense. A player like Jared Cook will tear-up his contract within 5 minutes of hiring Norv.

Given the injury rehab Sam will be undergoing this off-season we don't need to add learning a new offense to his list. Who's to say Cignetti is ready to step-up to OC. I for one hope Schotty stays with us and we evolve our offense based on the talent of our players, not some ideology that we need a complicated offense.

Go Rams!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Once again, Schottenheimer getting bad mouthed for "unimaginative" play calling, yet he gets no credit for taking an average back-up QB and a bunch of raw, less-than-good receivers and winning 4 games with them. What would you have him do? Run reverses every third play? Throw 50 yard post patterns all afternoon? The criticism is largely unjustified. He did a decent job with poor options. Oh yeah- Zac Stacy came out of nowhere to run for almost 1000 yards. I guess Schottenheimer played no role in his development.

I can't see him becoming the next head coach at Vanderbilt. But if he does, you can do a lot worse than Brian Schottenheimer as your OC. If Fisher thought he couldn't effective run a certain offense with the personnel that was being drafted, he would have gotten rid of him at the start of the season.
    Well said NJ1!

Schotty, sir...

Stay put another year or two. You won't regret it, you will have established a true offense w/the Rams. Good for the résumé too!
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-16-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Sign

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If nothing else, the Rams play book does need to be expanded to deal with aggressive defenses that dominate the NFC West. Certainly something has to change least the Rams look at another 7-9 finish in 2014

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm so damn sick of changing offensive coordinators. Yes, I wasn't happy at times with Schottenheimer, but everything that NJ said is, essentially, how I feel. I'd like to be able to see Sam Bradford have at least one extra year with the same offensive coordinator for obvious reasons. Let's see what this offense can do as a cohesive unit that is confident (in knowing the plays) and actually has an identity. Regardless, let's hope that the emergence of Stacy will alleviate yet another learning curve for Bradford and his receivers if indeed Schottenheimer is gone.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

citr92 is offline Registered User

sure, he makes bonehead mistakes...but so do a lot of coaches

what he did after bradford went down is very admirable

of course Fisher wanting the change helped, and it was starting to show the panthers game but unfortunately bradford obviously didn't make it out of there okay

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Yeah, funny how sharp BS' calls seemed when the team was executing.Still, never did like the RZ calls with Clemens at QB but there's no doubt he had something building with Sam.

I don't see how any break in continuity for this offense could be a good thing but I hope Fisher will stick with the system as he said he would last year when this might have happened & find someone to run it, rather than a new install, to minimize the disruption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast