Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bar-bq

Thread: Brian Schottenheimer as Rams OC - My opinion

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Brian Schottenheimer as Rams OC - My opinion

It appears Jeff Fisher is all but a lock to be our next HC so I thought I would make an opinion based post on who I think our next OC should be.

There have been many reports around the NFL that the Jets are preparing a list of candidates to replace Schottenheimer as the OC of the Jets. They are apparently hoping he gets one of the open HC jobs, so as not to fire him. I also heard they are willing to do what the Rams did, and let him make a lateral movement. I think this guy gets one of the worst rap-sheets of any coordinator in the NFL. Living in NJ, this guy is bashed worse than anyone on the Jets, and I don't understand why. The man coached the offense to back-to-back AFC championships for crying out loud. That, in spite of the fact that they have a QB that is not good at all (the EPITOME of overrated). If Schottenheimer had a real QB, this guy would have been a HC by now. He is a WCO guy. I strongly argue against Jet fans in my area when they bash him and I tell them they're making the wrong guy the scapegoat. I also love how the guy is a leader in the coordinator position. He benched Santonio mid game week 17 when he was quitting. Then Rex cowered in a corner so as not to upset the a-hole that is Santonio and said "I didn't bench him, ask Brian." Blatantly throwing his OC under the bus. I think "Schotty" will be on a different sideline as either a HC (Dont count him out in JAX), or as an OC for a different team. I hope that Fish atleast brings him in for an interview.

Some notes on Schottenheimer -
    Got his first break in the NFL, believe it or not, with the St Louis Rams as an offensive assistant.
    Coached the QBs in Washington for a year,
    Before becoming the Chargers QB coach from 02-05.
    Became Jets OC in 2006-present.

Whether his name emerges as a candidate for the OC job or not remains to be seen, but just a name to keep fresh in all your minds.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Brian Schottenheimer as Rams OC - My opinion

Ick. He has all of the tools in the world in New York and still can't get it together. Bland, unimaginative playcalling to boot. Will need to be convinced of this one.
    r8rh8rmike and Ramone like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No thank you.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'd need some serious convincing on this end. I, too, live in NJ, and see the Jets each week. What I saw this season was an inconsistent, fragmented offense that didn't function efficiently and where individuals didn't play to potential. Not all of this falls on Schottenheimer, but as O-Coordinator, he shares some culpability.

In any event, I think the point is moot. He is being discussed as a head coaching candidate elsewhere.

GoSTLRams is offline Registered User

No thanks. I've watched most of their games the past two years, and I'm simply amazed he's held onto his job. He has earned every single bit of the scorn he gets. I've got some friends who are Jets fans, and it's hilarious watching the games with them because they call out of the plays and are dead on accurate. If my bonehead friends know what's coming, then you can bet the defense does, too. And the best part is that a lot of the calls don't make much sense to begin with. We've got a running joke that he must have a lot of dirt on Woody to still be employed.

This is how most Jets fans feel about Schotty...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Honestly i think we should really give this a thought...i too live in NJ and here all this talk about haw Shotty should be fired and it reminds me of someone Pat Shurmur

Shotty does not have the most talented or intelligent for that matter QBs...However Sanchez is a good situational QB and Shotty rode him pretty far in the playoffs...His play call is a bit bland at times but he has proven results

Look at what he has done with the LT/Shonne Greene combo at this point LT is not what he use to be and shonne greene is an average running back and last year both looked pretty good...Also he has experience in calling plays

The only problem is McD 2.0...they guy wants to be a head coach and is already being talked about as a candidate and what happens if he does go elsewhere another coordinator for SAM?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Ick. He has all of the tools in the world in New York and still can't get it together. Bland, unimaginative playcalling to boot. Will need to be convinced of this one.
    Agreed. Granted he has to deal with an underachiever in Sanchez, but he's got one of the best OL's in the NFL and solid WR's and backs, yet his offenses are middle of the road and mediocre at best. No thanks.