throwback week

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Bring On The Behemoths Billy D. !!!

Billy D. has indicated he wants to get bigger on both sides of the ball. This is great news and undoubtedly means the repeal of John Shaw's private policy banning the signing of players over 315 lbs. (A measure instituted to cut expenses on both player meals and fuel costs for away games.) I can only wish that Terrence (Mount) Cody decided to declare for the draft instead of returning to school. Darn !! Probably better for Terrence though. Even if we can't get Cody, we ought to be able to find a big ole fat sloppy DT who can clog up the middle effectively and not get blown off the line of scrimmage every time an opposing team wants to run it down our throat ..

It has also been mentioned that Billy D. has a very strong relationship with coach Haslett. Anyone out there think he will retain Haslett? Would ClanRam revolt if JH is the guy after all? Guess we'll find out pretty quick after next Sunday especially if we somehow thrash the Falcons ..

Bring on the Behemoths Billy D. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: Bring On The Behemoths Billy D. !!!

personally i dont mind haslett at all. i am a little discouraged by his defense since he's been here, but then again he never had much good personnel.
    i like the idea of getting spagnuolo or schwartz but:
    1. would they want to go from a great team to us?
    2. they dont have head coaching experience like haz does.

but we could hire ryan leaf for all i care, as long as we win and become respected around the league again.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Bring On The Behemoths Billy D. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    personally i dont mind haslett at all. i am a little discouraged by his defense since he's been here, but then again he never had much good personnel.
    This is true, and he's never had a complete year (off-season and regular season) with his own handpicked coaching staff as HC of the Rams.

i like the idea of getting spagnuolo or schwartz but:
    1. would they want to go from a great team to us?
    When one is trying to break in as a HC in the NFL, and one is offered an opportunity, best to grab it. Who knows when the next opportunity will present itself? We are not talking Marty S. or Cowher here. Plus there is a big difference in the salary of a HC as opposed to a coordinator. HC salaries are in the millions even for rookie head coaches ..

2. they dont have head coaching experience like haz does.
    Very true, but Haz has displayed a couple of poor gametime decisions recently, coupled with the weak performance of his defense when he was still the DC, leading many here on this forum to regard him as mediocre. In fairness to Jim though, he's never had the opportunity to show what he can accomplish as Ram HC with his own handpicked coaching staff, free agent acquisitions and draft picks. He's endured alot of "inheriting" as opposed to choosing. I don't think for a minute Haz would have brought in Drew Bennett as a free agent, or released Hedgecock. Isaac Bruce might still be wearing horns as well if Haz were at the helm instead of Scotty. Anyway you slice it though, there are tough decisions looming ahead for Chip and Billy D.

Bringing in some really large linemen on both sides of the ball along with a real thumper MLB would be a great start ...