Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yellow and blue is offline Registered User

Re: Bring Martyball to the STL

Joe Torre, anyone?

TommyG is offline Registered User

the bottom line is there has to be a big change to bring back fairweathers, or else there will be many more blackouts to come.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Unfortunately, STL is a baseball town. Does anyone have that quote by Hasselbaeck about the Cardinals?

The fans in STL piss me off as a whole. I heardlouder golf claps at the US Open than when I went to the Dome this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Maybe Greg Noll? Seriously though, I thought Linehan would be fired this week....

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Unfortunately, STL is a baseball town. Does anyone have that quote by Hasselbaeck about the Cardinals?

The fans in STL piss me off as a whole. I heardlouder golf claps at the US Open than when I went to the Dome this year.

I went to a Rams game several years back and was amazed at how lame the crowd was. I've grown up in the North East, so my experience with football fans are with Giants, Jets, and Eagle thugs. Say what you want about them, but they are diehards- I can't say the same about the St. Louis crowd though unfortunately. I thought I was at a funeral.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I went to a Rams game several years back and was amazed at how lame the crowd was. I've grown up in the North East, so my experience with football fans are with Giants, Jets, and Eagle thugs. Say what you want about them, but they are diehards- I can't say the same about the St. Louis crowd though unfortunately. I thought I was at a funeral.
    Well it's not like those teams have a long history in those cities or anything....

But I'm a big Marty supporter. I don't care how conservative he is, he wins, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Well it's not like those teams have a long history in those cities or anything....

But I'm a big Marty supporter. I don't care how conservative he is, he wins, plain and simple.

Hey, the Rams did more in the their time in St. Louis than the Eagles have done- they've won a Superbowl!!! Even though the Eagles lost again tonight (to the hated Cowboys) they will still sell out the rest of the season- even if they continue to suck it up.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Actually, Marty S. has won everywhere he's been.

I think he'd be a Great Coach for us. We'd have a heckuva Defense under Schotenheimer, I can tell you that!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

LaDanian Tomilson was a skill guy and he did pretty well with Schotenheimer.

We are probably the worst team in the League - I'd take a coach like Marty that would get us in the Playoffs every year.

Linehan is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    .Linehan is not the answer.

Unless, of course, the question was, "Who is the worst coach in the league?"

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Hey, the Rams did more in the their time in St. Louis than the Eagles have done- they've won a Superbowl!!! Even though the Eagles lost again tonight (to the hated Cowboys) they will still sell out the rest of the season- even if they continue to suck it up.
    But just winning isn't enough to build a rock solid fan base. It must be in the cities blood in a lot of cases. Great Grandfathers rooting for the team and passing it down, stuff like that builds a heavy fan base.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    But just winning isn't enough to build a rock solid fan base. It must be in the cities blood in a lot of cases. Great Grandfathers rooting for the team and passing it down, stuff like that builds a heavy fan base.
    Here's an idea. When the Rams build their next stadium in Stl, surround it with this big, huge, gigantic, tailgateable parking lot. The fans will come. Nothing beats partying before and after a game. Win or loose

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It strikes me as somewhat funny that so many fans complain about Linehan's conservative playbook while others (and possibly the same fans as before) turn around and mention Marty Schottenheimer as a candidate to be the next head coach.
    This is such a good point.

To me and many others, the attempts by some fans to take issue with Linehan over his ability is inspired purely by results. Sounds like an obvious statement, but these criticisms don't spring from any principle. We had the same coaching staff and same playbook last year, Linehan had the same playbook in Minnesota and Miami where he was widely considered to be one of the next HC's.

Now because of lack of results caused by an avalanche of injuries, his integrity, ability, bravery, parentage are all being questioned. The lack of real grounding in some of these criticisms leads those making them into the uncomfortable position of advocating extremely conservative coaches, whilst lambasting a man considered to be 'Martz-lite' prior to this season. A man who guided Bulger to the best statistical season of his career and lead Jackson into the pro-bowl.

Worth thinking about.

I'm not a huge fan of Marty- especially in the playoffs, but I definately think you would see better fundamentals out of this team. I certainly don't think you would see Alex Barron jumping offsides 2 to 3 times a game like he does now. With Linehan- there is no accountability for bad or uninspired play. When Bulger tried to call out those players last year (which he was 100% correct about)- Linehan threw him under the bus for speaking out. Claude Terrell would not have lasted nearly as long as he did with Linehan- and his cut only came about after beating the snot out of his girlfriend and getting arrested for it. He pretty much shrugged off the fact that this unproductive player mouthed off to him in front of the team and then walked off the field. It's the same mistakes by the same players week after week and you never see anything change. Linehan has to go.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    To me and many others, the attempts by some fans to take issue with Linehan over his ability is inspired purely by results. Sounds like an obvious statement, but these criticisms don't spring from any principle. We had the same coaching staff and same playbook last year, Linehan had the same playbook in Minnesota and Miami where he was widely considered to be one of the next HC's.

Now because of lack of results caused by an avalanche of injuries, his integrity, ability, bravery, parentage are all being questioned. The lack of real grounding in some of these criticisms leads those making them into the uncomfortable position of advocating extremely conservative coaches, whilst lambasting a man considered to be 'Martz-lite' prior to this season. A man who guided Bulger to the best statistical season of his career and lead Jackson into the pro-bowl.
    Agreed. Offensively, Linehan has succeeded everywhere he's been in the NFL when given a fighting chance, something he hasn't been close to this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast