Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bringing Back Williams Only Logical for Rams’ Ascending Defense

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bringing Back Williams Only Logical for Rams’ Ascending Defense

By Randy Karraker on January 30th, 2014 @ 7:56am

As Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn prepares to find a way to knock off the Denver Broncos in Sunday’s Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., he no doubt has pulled down and dusted off an old tape to get an idea as to how to beat Peyton Manning. That tape is from Super Bowl XLIV in Miami, from when New Orleans found a way to hold Manning to one touchdown pass and hold the Colts to 17 points.

That blueprint, such as it is, was drawn up by then-Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who called a blitz at precisely the right time in the fourth quarter to hurry Manning and set up a Tracy Porter pick-six that turned a 24-17 Saints lead into the 31-17 advantage by which they ultimately won. Now, Williams is reportedly returning to the Rams, a team he was set to join two years ago but forced to leave because of Bountygate, the scandal that rocked New Orleans when it came out that Saints players had been offered bonuses for knocking opponents out of games. Both Kurt Warner of Arizona and Brett Favre of Minnesota were physically racked in games against Williams’ defense in those 2009 playoffs, and the belief was that the Saints’ bounty program motivated his players.

Overshadowed by the scandal, and what should be encouraging for Rams fans, is that Williams is a terrific coach. In 12 years as a defensive coordinator, Williams has had five units that finished as top-eight in the league in scoring defense. When Williams joined the Titans last year, Saints defensive back Jabari Greer told Titans Insider that Williams “was the best defensive coach that I’ve played for professionally.” At that point, Greer had played for four defensive coordinators, but he said, “Gregg did a great job of creating a professional approach to football. He made us accountable to each other. He really created something that we still live off of today in our defensive room. We play with a passion and we play with an intensity that is going to be unmatched.”

Former Rams and Packers safety Matt Bowen, who now writes for the Chicago Tribune, played for Williams in Washington and said, “Williams is the best coach I ever played for in my years in the NFL, a true teacher who developed me as a player. I believed in him. I still do. That will never change.” Cortland Finnegan had heard those sorts of compliments when he signed with the Rams, and he told reporters soon after Williams’ suspension that “every player you talk to says what a great coach he is. I was so excited to have a chance to play for him. He has a great defense and players love playing in that defense.”

Well, now in St. Louis, they get the chance to. A coordinator who brings swagger and attitude – someone who will have his players ready to go from day one. Last season, the Rams’ defense allowed 17, 24, 31 and 35 points in their first four games. Safe to say that they’ll be ready to rock and roll for the opener now. As Bowen wrote, “Williams is an excellent motivator. You do what he wants: play tough, push the envelope and carry a swagger that every opponent sees on tape. When you lined up against us, you knew we were coming after you. It was our gig, our plan, our way to motivate, to extra-motivate.”

Williams isn’t the perfect coordinator. While his units have been in the top eight in takeaways three times in 12 years, they’ve been in the bottom ten in that department six times, or half of his years as a coordinator, including five of his last eight as a coordinator.

That being said, there probably isn’t a better scenario available for the Rams’ defense. Williams knows Jeff Fisher’s defensive desires intimately. He shares Fisher’s desire for an aggressive, take-no-prisoners approach. And he has the ability to coach technique, while at the same time motivating the troops to a fever pitch.

It was not a good day for former Ram DC Tim Walton. He should have been told of his fate earlier. Almost every coaching job in the NFL has been filled at this point, and Walton is left standing. The music has stopped, while everyone else has a chair. For the second year in a row, the Rams are the last team to hire their defensive coordinator, and Gregg Williams will be the third one in as many years for the franchise.

But Walton knew the dangers of the coaching business when he got into it. Coaches are hired to be fired. The Rams’ defense didn’t live up to its end of the bargain in 2013, and needed an added boost. An experienced, creative defensive coordinator can only benefit this group as they try to get to the next level. It may not of have been the best way to make a change, but this is one instance in which the ends justify the means. There aren’t a lot of guys around who have coordinated Super Bowl-champion defenses, and now the Rams have one of the men who has.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bringing Back Williams Only Logical for Rams’ Ascending Defense

To reiterate, "Welcome Gregg Williams!" Now, please prepare the Rams D to help sack Seattle!

Mikey is online now Registered User

Our defense is really only a couple things away from being a dominant defense. Depth at CB and a good FS. With the growth they showed in the second half of the season and the addition of Williams to the staff the sky's the limit.
    RealRam and SportsDude like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Chris Long has his best year under Williams did he not? Look out for Quinn.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I really like bringing Williams in be dominate on one phase of the game and average elsewhere and you got a chance. I hope they add more pieces on D in the draft.
    :ramlogo:

Randart is offline Registered User

I can see a coach like GW really taking a shine to our young LB/S Ray Ray Armstrong...
    His size speed and hitting ability compare nicely to the Osprey's Big second safety.
    And having a year of seasoning under his belt mostly on special teams, Ray Ray could be ready for a
    expanded role on the team. He could be very disruptive playing a safety/LB spot in coverage.

If I was Greg Williams I would get some tapes of that seattle teams secondary play and give them to Ray Ray to study and tell him be ready for spring training your going to be in for situational plays and as a back up. Just a thought I had wondered what you guys think? The thought of unleashing Ray Ray on unsuspecting recievers and backs coming accross the middle is kinda frightening! He is not Earl Thomas by any means but he could be as good as Earls other half... imho
    Last edited by Randart; -02-05-2014 at 06:06 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you're looking for synergy, Williams could conceivably push for the Rams to try to sign safety Malcolm Jenkins, who was drafted by the Saints shortly after Williams took over as their DC, and played under Williams for 3 seasons. I think that would be a very good fit.

supachump is offline Registered User

Has there been an official announcement yet about GW being hired? Or is this speculation/rumor right now?

I'm interested in the possibility of him being with the Rams. But don't want to get excited before the papers are signed.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I can see a coach like GW really taking a shine to our young LB/S Ray Ray Armstrong...
    His size speed and hitting ability compare nicely to the Osprey's Big second safety.
    And having a year of seasoning under his belt mostly on special teams, Ray Ray could be ready for a
    expanded role on the team. He could be very disruptive playing a safety/LB spot in coverage.

If I was Greg Williams I would get some tapes of that seattle teams secondary play and give them to Ray Ray to study and tell him be ready for spring training your going to be in for situational plays and as a back up. Just a thought I had wondered what you guys think? The thought of unleashing Ray Ray on unsuspecting recievers and backs coming accross the middle is kinda frightening! He is not Earl Thomas by any means but he could be as good as Earls other half... imho
    I like Armstrong a lot (just needs to get those dumb penalties hashed out), but he seems like a poor-man's version of Ogletree. Using him as a hybrid (like the Huskers used LaVonte David) is an interesting idea, but depends on the scheme/coaches to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by supachump
    Has there been an official announcement yet about GW being hired? Or is this speculation/rumor right now?

I'm interested in the possibility of him being with the Rams. But don't want to get excited before the papers are signed.
    Nothing official yet, but it's not a Rob Ryan situation where other teams might come into play.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -02-05-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supachump View Post

Yes, it became official last week. Paste URL below:

CBSsports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24423956/rams-hire-gregg-williams-as-defensive-coordinator.

thoey is offline Registered User

Cool. Well, except where they call us the Titans...
    This space for rent...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Yes, it became official last week. Paste URL below:

CBSsports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24423956/rams-hire-gregg-williams-as-defensive-coordinator.
    Looks like they pulled that page down. He has yet to sign with the Rams. Unless someone has seen something please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Looks like they pulled that page down. He has yet to sign with the Rams. Unless someone has seen something please share.
    Page is there, it has not been "pulled down". Waiting, however, to see DC Williams' actual signing with the Rams. Following is said article from CBS Sports.

Rams hire Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator
    By Josh Katzowitz | CBS Sports / NFL Writer
    January 29, 2014 3:20 pm ET

[GW photo]
    Gregg Williams is reuniting with Jeff Fisher as the team's new DC. (AP)

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, one of the main faces behind the Bountygate scandal, has been hired and given a multi-year deal by the Rams for the defensive coordinator job, league sources told CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora.

St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher fired Tim Walton after just one year in charge of the defense, and ESPN reported that in doing so, Fisher planned to hire Williams as the replacement.

Williams was suspended indefinitely by commissioner Roger Goodell following the Bountygate scandal of 2012, but he was reinstated last February and took an assistant coaching job with the Titans.

Fisher actually hired Williams before the suspension from the league was handed down -- and said he'd consider doing it again after Williams was told to take a breather -- but Fisher eventually hired Walton for the 2013 season after Rob Ryan flip-flopped on taking the job.

This season, the Titans finished 15th in the league in defense, but it was reported that Fisher took over much of the defensive handling in the middle of the season.

While Williams was penalized by the league, a number of his players came to his defense.

"Gregg did a great job of creating a professional approach to football. He made us accountable to each other," Saints cornerback Jabari Greer said. "He really created something that we still live off of today in our defensive room. We play with a passion and we play with an intensity that is going to be unmatched."

Former linebacker Barrett Green, who sued Williams, might not be quite as impressed with the hire.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-07-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Blue emphasis mine

kman is offline Registered User

when did Long play under Williams?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    when did Long play under Williams?
    I was thinking the same thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast