Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brown Hoping for Reduced Suspension

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Brown Hoping for Reduced Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    missing a drug test is equal to failing a drug test for one simple and obvious reason. He will not get his suspension reduced. If the NFL allows this every player who suspects he might fail will just not show up for the test.
    Was he supposed to show up for the test? I might have it wrong, but it sounds to me like this was an unannounced test visit and for some reason, Brown could not be located. The circumstances of why he couldn't be located have got to be the underlying issue. That said, it seems logical that the league would have looked at all the factors regarding the visit and made the ruling accordingly. I guess we'll see.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, if it's true, that's about as faultless an infraction as you could hope for. We'll just have to see how it plays out, though. The fact that he was already in the program suggests that he'd already tested positive on a previous occasion.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, if it's true, that's about as faultless an infraction as you could hope for. We'll just have to see how it plays out, though. The fact that he was already in the program suggests that he'd already tested positive on a previous occasion.
    Have any of you been involved in drug testing at work? I'd be surprised to get a no back on that one. Well, I work in the aerospace industry, and I've been involved in drug testing for about 15-20 years. First of all, Brown is in this "program" because he's a know offender and violator of the NFL drug policy. Just that factor alone would make any reasonably intelligent person watch what goes in his body LIKE A HAWK, and would take every precaution to NOT miss a single test.

When you're in a program like this, you MUST make yourself reachable, 24/7. Period. He KNOWS that. They aren't many excuses for missing a drug test, random, or not. He's responsible for getting a contact point to the people who are conducting the testing. So, when he says it was all just a misunderstanding, who misunderstood? The test lab? I doubt it. As I said, he's solely responsible to make sure he's reachable, no matter where he is. And it's HIS responsibility to make himself available at any time. It's fairly equivalent to saying he's on parole.

I only jumped on this guy's case because I'm tired of reading/hearing about people that won't except responsibilty for their action. If this guy doesn't think the rules of the game are fair, perhaps he should have been a little more responsible and not violated the drug policy in the first place. I'm not taking anything back that I said about Brown before the story changed from "failed", to "missed" drug testing. He knows the rules of the game and he failed to follow them. He also knew the consequences and evidently, it wasn't important enough to him to do a simple thing like be available for a urine sample. As sad an unfortunate as it is, this guy will probably also fall into the majority of guys that "don't get it", and he'll fail, (or miss?) a drug test again and he'll throw away a career and millions of dollars because he'd rather smoke herb with the boys. I sincerly hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Does anyone actually know what he failed the first time? I read somewhere that it was for blowing a .03, (way under the limit), and he's still kinda' po'd that he's in the program at all, which, if true, I agree with.

In my opinion, this whole "zero tolerance" movement is simply a means by which people don't have to use their damn sense in evaluating situations anymore. Kids arrested for squirt guns in school, 2-year old kid and his mother kicked off an airplane for saying "bye-bye plane" as their taking off, etc.

I know, wrong forum, so I'll stop.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    When you're in a program like this, you MUST make yourself reachable, 24/7. Period. He KNOWS that. They aren't many excuses for missing a drug test, random, or not. He's responsible for getting a contact point to the people who are conducting the testing. So, when he says it was all just a misunderstanding, who misunderstood? The test lab? I doubt it. As I said, he's solely responsible to make sure he's reachable, no matter where he is. And it's HIS responsibility to make himself available at any time. It's fairly equivalent to saying he's on parole.

I only jumped on this guy's case because I'm tired of reading/hearing about people that won't except responsibilty for their action. If this guy doesn't think the rules of the game are fair, perhaps he should have been a little more responsible and not violated the drug policy in the first place. I'm not taking anything back that I said about Brown before the story changed from "failed", to "missed" drug testing. He knows the rules of the game and he failed to follow them. He also knew the consequences and evidently, it wasn't important enough to him to do a simple thing like be available for a urine sample. As sad an unfortunate as it is, this guy will probably also fall into the majority of guys that "don't get it", and he'll fail, (or miss?) a drug test again and he'll throw away a career and millions of dollars because he'd rather smoke herb with the boys. I sincerly hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
    You jumped on his case basically calling him a "jerk" and an "idiot" judging him before you even knew what was going on.

When are these jerks going to learn?

Brown is an idiot. ...and I sincerely hope you're reading this Mr. Brown. As a longtime loyal and faithful Ram fan, I can say this with absolute commitment. YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
    I along with a couple of others mentioned maybe people should wait and see how this plays out before we throw Brown under the bus. Now more of the story comes out and it seems possible there was a miscommunication and you still won't even acknowledge that and cut him a break.

You are already assuming (like you did before) that the lab didn't mess up the test times, locations, etc but you don't know, they could have or it could be Brown's fault. It's so easy to throw someone under the bus and take a hard stance on it without all the facts than it is to wait and be patient and see how it actually turns out and then form an opinion.

There were people calling him names, assuming he wouldn't appeal, assuming it was steroids, or pot, etc. After all of that, it appraently was none of those things and it was a miscommunication on one or both parties parts. Not knowing more facts is the reason to not blow it out of proportion and not throw Brown under the bus prematurely.

Maybe you don't want to accept it, but there is a difference between "failed" and "missed."

Above all of that, it still is unfortunate that it happened and hopefully it works out for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    You jumped on his case basically calling him a "jerk" and an "idiot" judging him before you even knew what was going on.

I along with a couple of others mentioned maybe people should wait and see how this plays out before we throw Brown under the bus. Now more of the story comes out and it seems possible there was a miscommunication and you still won't even acknowledge that and cut him a break.

You are already assuming (like you did before) that the lab didn't mess up the test times, locations, etc but you don't know, they could have or it could be Brown's fault. It's so easy to throw someone under the bus and take a hard stance on it without all the facts than it is to wait and be patient and see how it actually turns out and then form an opinion.

There were people calling him names, assuming he wouldn't appeal, assuming it was steroids, or pot, etc. After all of that, it appraently was none of those things and it was a miscommunication on one or both parties parts. Not knowing more facts is the reason to not blow it out of proportion and not throw Brown under the bus prematurely.

Maybe you don't want to accept it, but there is a difference between "failed" and "missed."

Above all of that, it still is unfortunate that it happened and hopefully it works out for the best.

I couldn't agree more that this is truely unfortunate for all. I too, hope that it works out and those of us that are "throwing him under the bus" are wrong. ...but I doubt it. I'd be extremely surprised, and disappointed, that the "system" didn't do a thorough job of investigating the circumstances before handing down the suspension. If they did, and they reverse this thing, they must be held accountable for messin' with this guys career. Let's see how it all plays out and hope for the best.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Is he even on the team?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Is he even on the team?
    Yup. But then I am sure you knew that!

83 Bennett, Drew WR2 6-5 206 8/26/78 7 UCLA
    9 Berlin, Brock QB 6-1 215 7/4/81 1 Miami (FL)
    34 Brown, Fakhir RCB 5-11 192 9/21/77 8 Grambling
    80 Bruce, Isaac WR2 6-0 188 11/10/72 14 Memphis State
    47 Buches, Steve TE 6-3 251 3/8/84 R Pittsburgh

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Players/
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Have any of you been involved in drug testing at work? I'd be surprised to get a no back on that one. Well, I work in the aerospace industry, and I've been involved in drug testing for about 15-20 years. First of all, Brown is in this "program" because he's a know offender and violator of the NFL drug policy. Just that factor alone would make any reasonably intelligent person watch what goes in his body LIKE A HAWK, and would take every precaution to NOT miss a single test.

So I guess there's no room for human error on the drug testing side. Like I said people think they know so much.

I'm sure you're drug testing program and the NFL are quite different. By A long shot I'm sure. As your job is testing for illegal substances, the NFL test for banned and illegal substances. Banned substances which could be in something you take for a cold or headache, a banned substance could be a natural remedy. There are many things that you and I take as supplements that people in the NFL can't take. I know what I'm talking about because I know several people who've played in the NFL. All of them known players.

This situation seems to be a breakdown in communication, such as a new staff, or a time mix up. So before judging the facts wait till you have ALL the information.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more that this is truely unfortunate for all. I too, hope that it works out and those of us that are "throwing him under the bus" are wrong. ...but I doubt it. I'd be extremely surprised, and disappointed, that the "system" didn't do a thorough job of investigating the circumstances before handing down the suspension. If they did, and they reverse this thing, they must be held accountable for messin' with this guys career. Let's see how it all plays out and hope for the best.
    Under the League rules, a missed test, is a failed test, thus a automatic 4 game suspension. It is up to the player to appeal. Once they do there's an investigation that takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Under the League rules, a missed test, is a failed test, thus a automatic 4 game suspension. It is up to the player to appeal. Once they do there's an investigation that takes place.
    So, you're saying that absolutely no investigation as to the reasons the testing was missed happens until a player appeals it? I understand that a missed test is a failed test, that's true in any testing I've been involved in, as it should be. But it's really hard for me to believe that the system goes into total auto-mode and issues a four-game suspension without first hearing the both sides of things.

Maybe I am being a bit too cynical. Perhaps today's atheletes have created this monster I've become. Too many Vick's, OJ's and Pete Roses tend to make a sports fan a bit cynical about the characters we follow. :x To hell with this, let's talk about football, I'll not comment on this again until after the appeal process.

JusLilOleM is offline Registered User

OK, I know this is an OLD thread, but can't help myself...
    For all the clueless defending the jackass Brown: I live down the street from where the F&%* Up USED to live... before he lost his house, that is. Brown is a LOSER with all CAPS!!! Mr. Screwup shouldn't ever be defended, here or anywhere else. He had a "monitor" parked outside his house almost all the time. He was constantly high. Never took care of his home, or family. In fact, saw him driving his big a$% vehicle with his two young kids in the back seat, higher than a kite. Seat leaned way back, arms stretched out over the wheel of his caddy, cap sittin askew on his dumb butt head, big gold pimp-lookn chain around his neck. Couldn't even figure out how to drive (Thank GOD!) just sittn there in the street with his innocent, adorable kids in the back seat... Can't say anybody on this street is sorry to see this jack___ leave!!!!
    That's the REAL story; don't defend this jerk-off!!!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You don't have to worry about anyone defending Fakhir Brown anymore.

I, as well as probably most of the people on this board, forgot he even existed. Especially after seeing Janoris Jenkins hold his own in his very first NFL game against a high powered passing offence, and seeing Cortland Finnegan do exactly what we paid him to.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Fakhir who?
    Dwight Frye likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12