Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

"Brown was overpaid" and other stupid things the "experts" will tell you...

The “experts” will tell you that the Rams “paid OG money” and therefore “overpaid” Jason Brown.

Apparently, these “experts” never studied economics.

Brown was reportedly offered about $6 million per season to stay in Baltimore. All things being equal, he wanted to stay in Baltimore (which, by the way, is the entire substance of the vastly overstated “Brown didn’t want to come to St. Louis” reports by Mike ‘can’t get my facts straight so I just make them up’ Florio and others). Had the Rams not paid him approximately $7 million per year, someone else would have (in fact, Brown acknowledged as much in his press conference after signing with the Rams).

For those who are economically challenged (i.e. sports reporters), if there is a commodity with a supply of one, and there are multiple buyers who are willing to pay a sum for that commodity, then the one that actually ends up paying that sum did not “overpay.” Rather, the market simply set the price.

Also, if you look at Brown’s profile, he’s not the type that normally gets the “overpaid” label. He’s not a 30+ guy being paid for his past performances and reputation. He’s not a guy with an injury history that provides an inherent risk. He’s not a guy with a history of off-the-field troubles who is likely to get suspended. He’s a 25 year old guy who likely has his best years in front of him.

There are no guarantees with any signing, but anyone who tells you that Brown was “overpaid” merely because he’s a center just does not understand how the system works.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: "Brown was overpaid" and other stupid things the "experts" will tell you...

He did come out and say he wanted to stay in Baltimore and why not? It seems to be a great place to play. However, a million more a year isn't chump change. He's excited about being a Ram and as of right now, the Rams haven't overpaid for him.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

It tells alot about brown that he is honest and tells that the Ravens was his first choice. If he had dished out some lie about how he always wanted to play for the rams or something I would have been much more nervous!

He seems to be a hard working high character guy and I am very exited about seeing how he will affect our O game. Especially our running game will probably become much better
    Last edited by clarasDK; -03-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The thing that annoyed me is when Florio and others tried to spin Brown's comment as a dig against the Rams. From what I can see, it had nothing to do with the Rams. He just didn't really want to move (and it was apparently not about the distance either, as he apparently Washington was interested too).

I don't blame him - have you ever had to pack up a house? Not fun. Still, for an extra million per year, you hire someone to do the packing.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

The other thing that pissed me off about Florio was when he was trying to say we tampered and spinned more words that Brown's agent provided. Reporters like him is why the media annoys me.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

he signed i believe a 5 year contract..so when the price goes up next year for players,as it always will...teams will have to fork out more for a player of his quality and upside...or pay the same for a lesser skilled player.
    at 25 he is barely older than most the prospects that will be drafted this year..and the same age or in some cases younger than these prospects..only he is proven in the NFL with 4 years experience under his belt.

to round off...the contract he signed isnt just for what he offers now,but what he will offer in the future. by signing Brown we have stole a yard on the rest of the pack who will be looking for a player of his quality in the future and may not be able to find it.

GameTime is offline Registered User

To really find out if we made the wrong decision or paid too much money, there is really only one person to seek out.

Hey Ziggy, Would you have paid 7.5 million a year for Jason Brown?

Ziggy, "nope!"

woooohoooo we made the right move. Maybe this is why we kept shaw on as a consultant. he can ask ziggy what he would do and then we do the opposite.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Athletes are like buying a car, some run smooth and are cheap.....some are expensive and in the shop all the time....some perform up to the money spent.

Smooth and cheap? Chris Draft
    Expensive and in the shop? Drew Bennett
    Perform up to the money spent? Will Witherspoon

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The thing that annoyed me is when Florio and others tried to spin Brown's comment as a dig against the Rams. From what I can see, it had nothing to do with the Rams. He just didn't really want to move (and it was apparently not about the distance either, as he apparently Washington was interested too).

I don't blame him - have you ever had to pack up a house? Not fun. Still, for an extra million per year, you hire someone to do the packing.
    exactly. who WOULD want to move half way (sort of) across the country?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I personally spoke with Florio about this, who claimed to have direct information where Brown said he absolutely did not want to sign with the Rams, but he refused to go into details. He got very defensive when I called him a spinster ...

He also proceeded to tell me "you do realize the Rams suck", which is a pretty good indicator of his level of professionalism ...

It's amazing that anytime the Rams sign a free agent to a big contract, we get ridiculued, but when the Redskins spend 150M+ on a one year wonder and one of the most overrated CB's in the NFL today, they get praised ...

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Group Hug?

It is obvious you need me around here to help out. I will pay the $10 for the sake off the Rams. I am doing it now.

Wow premium membership is great!

REminds me of a movie (Wallstreet) "I never knew how poor I was until I started to make a little money."

Hey do I get at least a power rating of 1 yet?? LMAO

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I didn't think there was any doubt that the Rams overpaid for Brown. He's a good center,a and a good guard but I don't think he's the best at either position. That said, if I'm sitting in that negotiation room I would have overpaid for him as well. He's by far the best lineman available this offseason, easily a top 5, even top 3 center, and probably a top 5 guard in the league. 25 year old Brown, 27 year old Bell, 26 year old Barron...If we resign Barron, draft us a starting tackle we have the makings of a decent offensive line. Maybe one of the best ones we've had in St. Louis in a while. So if the question is did the Rams overpay? The answer is yes. If the question is, is it worth it? We'll have to see this season, but so far it doesn't look that bad.

As far as the Redskins not catching any flak for their spending, I think you're wrong. They get tons of heat for it. The 'Skins fans aren't happy about it. It's obvious that it's not that way to win in the league. The majority of the league is praising the Rams signing and questioning the Redskins.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

So basically "market value" is what the market will bear for a player at that time. So maybe a quarterback was worth a certain amount when he got signed, but didn't play to expectations, but it is a signed contract and you still have to pay that amount because you agreed to it? Just like buying a house two years ago for 200k and now it's worth 150k, but since you signed the deal you're responsible for the 200k? Wow this is fascinating stuff!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

League sources have told me that..

Blahba, blahba, BLAH.
    Adam Schefter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast