RamWraith is offline Registered User

Brown ready to roll with Rams

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, Mar. 01 2009
    Begin with the premise that as a football player, you're supposed to be happy
    and excited after signing a huge free-agent contract.

Even so, center Jason Brown took it up a couple of notches at his introductory
    news conference as a St. Louis Ram. He's ready to roll up his sleeves and get
    going at the task of turning the Rams from also-rans to winners.

Immediately.

"I'm thinking about working right now," Brown said. "Because I know the
    challenges that we're going to have to overcome in order to be a great team
    this year."

Brown knows it can be done because he witnessed it in Baltimore where the
    Ravens went from 5-11 in 2007 to the AFC championship game in 2008 despite
    having a rookie head coach (John Harbaugh), a new offensive scheme and a rookie
    quarterback (Joe Flacco).

"All you guys have already discounted us," he told a group of reporters at Rams
    Park. "Just as the guys in Baltimore discounted my team last year. You know
    what they said: 'It's a brand new regime; it's a rebuilding phase. The best
    they're going to be is a .500 team.' "

Which pretty well sums up the picture for the 2009 Rams. Actually, they might
    hold a parade in Earth City if the Rams ended up 8-8 next season.

"There's the potential to do something special to discount all you guys,"
    Brown insisted. "I'm telling you right now, we're going to be better than a
    .500 team."

Obviously, it's that kind of attitude that attracted the Rams to Brown, beyond
    his blocking skills.

"I'm fired up," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "What struck me first when I met
    him (Friday) morning was the person that he was. The things he said he just
    spit out exactly what we're looking for. The team aspect. How unselfish he was
    as a player. Some of the things he went through in Baltimore. The things he
    shared with me. I'm very, very impressed with him.

"This is a quality guy. You talk about character and quality people that we
    wanted to add to this (team). I tell you what, unless we're way off, he fits it
    perfectly. He's very, very serious about his job. I could see that immediately
    when I met him. I think he's mature beyond his age."

Brown, 25, was one of the most highly regarded free agents in this year's pool
    regardless of position. Philadelphia, Washington and Miami were very interested
    in him. Baltimore, where he spent his first four NFL seasons, offered him a
    contract worth $6.25 million a year.

"To tell you the truth, I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens," Brown
    said. "Many players would like to stay with the team that drafted them and
    finish their careers there. And I tell you what, we did something special with
    the Ravens last year. Unfortunately, there's a separation between business and
    the personal side of football."

For Brown, the business side meant signing a five-year, $37.5 million contract
    with the Rams a deal that averages $7.5 million per year. Brown earns $20
    million in the first two years; $24 million in the first three. Of the $37.5
    million, $20 million is guaranteed.

He may be leaving his "home" with the Ravens, but he called his St. Louis-based
    agents, Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell, his extended family.

"It's funny," Brown said. "I was just thinking about (the movie) Jerry Maguire,
    because they are my ambassadors of 'quan.' They truly are."

There's no doubt that Lewis helped steer Brown to St. Louis. For one, Lewis
    wanted to get more clients at Rams Park. He has done very little business with
    the Rams since a falling out several years ago with Jay Zygmunt, the team's
    former president of football operations. For another, Lewis simply felt that
    St. Louis was the best fit for Brown and his family both the city and the
    revamped Rams organization.

And from Brown's standpoint, it was important to get as good a deal as possible
    in his second contract as an NFL player. For many players, it's the best
    contract they'll get in their careers.

"It's extremely important," Brown said. "For many guys, this is what they call
    the 'bread and butter' (contract).''

Beyond the money, Brown's initial impression of Spagnuolo helped make it a fit
    in St. Louis.

"I can feel the energy and the radiance coming off of him," Brown said. "That's
    exactly what a brand new team needs in order to overcome all the adversity that
    we're going to face this year. You have to come in here ready to run through a
    brick wall."

stlramman is offline Registered User

Re: Brown ready to roll with Rams

This really yanked my chain this morning...

former president of football operations.

Say what?!! How many free agents have the Rams missed out on because this moron doesnt get along with thier agent?! Thank God this idiot is gone!!!!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Great article. Excited to see this guy in the horns!

HornIt is offline Registered User

Question Re: Brown ready to roll with Rams

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    This really yanked my chain this morning...

former president of football operations.

Say what?!! How many free agents have the Rams missed out on because this moron doesnt get along with thier agent?! Thank God this idiot is gone!!!!
    This all stems from the Kevin Carter negotiations in which Lewis, who was Carter's agent, got very unprofessional, personal and went public with the negotiations. He called the Rams offer an insult and slap in the face, which was ludicrous since the Rams were offering to make Carter one of the highest paid defensive players in the game at the time. Zygmunt always refused comment during that period but Martz didn't. Martz took it personally too and went after Carter in the press as well.

It is amusing to watch some act as if situations like this, where teams prefer dealing with some agents over others, doesn't exist across the board in the NFL. Many teams blackballed the Postons but Zygmunt and the Rams obviously still tried to deal with them. I've read that some teams try to avoid dealing with Rosenhaus players when possible, though have never read that about the Rams. Some agents, such as Marshall Faulk's agent Rocky Arceneaux, have sung Zygmunt's praises. So if you're going to ask the question of how many free agents have the Rams missed on because of strained relationships with players agents, you really ought to be prepared to ask that of every team.

stlramman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    This all stems from the Kevin Carter negotiations in which Lewis, who was Carter's agent, got very unprofessional, personal and went public with the negotiations. He called the Rams offer an insult and slap in the face, which was ludicrous since the Rams were offering to make Carter one of the highest paid defensive players in the game at the time. Zygmunt always refused comment during that period but Martz didn't. Martz took it personally too and went after Carter in the press as well.

It is amusing to watch some act as if situations like this, where teams prefer dealing with some agents over others, doesn't exist across the board in the NFL. Many teams blackballed the Postons but Zygmunt and the Rams obviously still tried to deal with them. I've read that some teams try to avoid dealing with Rosenhaus players when possible, though have never read that about the Rams. Some agents, such as Marshall Faulk's agent Rocky Arceneaux, have sung Zygmunt's praises. So if you're going to ask the question of how many free agents have the Rams missed on because of strained relationships with players agents, you really ought to be prepared to ask that of every team.
    Good point. Never really thought of that, i am sure that does go on in the NFL. Just kinda ticked me off this morning and i am still real glad that moron is gone lol.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    Good point. Never really thought of that, i am sure that does go on in the NFL. Just kinda ticked me off this morning and i am still real glad that moron is gone lol.
    I agree Zygiee is an Idiot he needs to get a blanket party.