Rip32 is offline Registered User

Brown Sets Sights On Starting

Brown Sets Sights on Starting
    Friday, March 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

On the surface, the Rams’ signing of cornerback Fakhir Brown on March 14 might have been a simple afterthought in the grand scheme of the team’s many offseason moves.

But, if Brown has his way, the move will be much more than a simple under the radar signing.

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”

It didn’t take much for Brown to agree to a five-year deal with the Rams considering what he perceived as a prime opportunity to have his breakout season.

Soon after his arrival for a free agent visit in mid-March, Brown put pen to paper on a contract. The reasons for his choosing St. Louis were obvious. Jim Haslett, his former head coach in New Orleans is now in charge of the Rams defense, giving Brown a chance for a comfortable transition to St. Louis.

“I look at him like he’s still the head coach because that’s the only thing I know him as,” Brown said. “It seems to me that he will be just the same as he was in New Orleans.”

But, perhaps more important for Brown was what Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff told him about his potential role in St. Louis. In his time with the Saints, Brown had been limited almost exclusively to a role as the nickel back and on special teams until 2004 when he started the final 10 games of the year. He finished that season with two interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 65 tackles.

Brown seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after that performance, but things changed again after he chose to stage a holdout in hopes of a new contract. He didn’t miss any minicamp or training camp, but it didn’t help to miss a chunk of the offseason conditioning program.

Brown started the year as the team’s starting cornerback in 2005, but suffered a knee injury that cost him four games. By the time he returned from that injury and a legal issue, Fred Thomas had the starting job essentially nailed down.

When he was on the field, he was playing in nickel or sub packages, only called upon when opponents went to three or four receiver packages. Brown started four games and finished with 31 tackles, six passes defended.

Now, Brown has the contract he had been looking for after 2004 and the opportunity that he has long sought.

“It feels very good for me,” Brown said. “I talked to the defensive coaches once I made it here. I have talked to the coaches and everyone is making me feel comfortable and at home. They are just telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and everything will work out well.”

In signing with St. Louis, Brown joins a crowded defensive back field that is wanting for talented cover men. As it stands, the Rams are counting on Jerametrius Butler to return from injury to handle the top corner job with Ron Bartell, Travis Fisher and DeJuan Groce in place behind him.

It seems likely that Butler will regain his starting spot and Bartell, Fisher, Groce and Brown will compete for the spot opposite Butler. At 5’11, 192 pounds, Brown has the type of size to win the job. Coach Scott Linehan has made it clear that Brown will get a chance to win the job.

In Arabic, Brown says Fakhir means “superb,” something the Rams’ 30th ranked defense wasn’t anywhere near a year ago. But Brown thinks that could change sooner than later.

Whether Brown starts or not will ultimately be decided by how he performs in the preseason. And it certainly won’t be the first time he has been forced to fight for a job.

“There will be a lot of competition, but I am up for it,” Brown said.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Brown Sets Sights On Starting

This is an encouraging post:granted I am one who has been critical of this signing because I believe that some of this money would have been better spent on R. Pickett; but at any rate, it looks like Brown is going to compete hard. Does anybody have any info on Mr. Brown like, college, and etc.?

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Good. The more competition there is at each position, the better. Between Butler, Bartell, Fisher, Groce, and Brown, surely there will be a couple that will step up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”
    I am really getting tired of hearing all the talk. What happened to quietly fighting to improve and then showing it on the field before you talked about it?

The age of information overload is starting to make this time of year difficult to get through. Four articles here that look like they were based off the same interview of SJ. Yet, I still read in case 1 reporter had a pience of info everyone else missed.

Man, I hate the off-season...
    This space for rent...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That is the off-season for you. Everybody jumps on anything anybody says and turns it into a feature 'cause there's no real news. If a player said "I'm just going to go out there and do my best next year" it would probably still get dissected. If the players don't do interviews, the media characterizes them as aloof or loners. If they seem to enjoy doing them too much, they are prima donnas.

Anyway, if it motivates him to be better, let him jabber all he wants. If he wants to raise the bar on expectations for himself, more power to him. Just imagine what the pre-season speculation is going to be like with five guys in the mix for two starting positions.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Heres some info:

Pro Career

2003: Appeared in all 16 games in a reserve role for the Saints. Posted 20 tackles and eight passes defensed. Also was major contributor on special teams.

2002: After re-signing with the Saints, Sept. 6, Brown appeared in 12 games and went on to shine in the team's defensive and special teams packages, recording 16 tackles, five passes defensed, one forced fumble, 13 special teams tackles and leading the team with two special teams fumble recoveries...Brown was deactivated for games at Carolina, Nov. 10, at Atlanta, Nov. 17 and vs. Tampa Bay, Dec. 1.

2001: After being waived by the Chargers at the end of the preseason, Brown spent 2001 out of football.

2000: Finished season with 35 tackles and an interception...Ranked third on squad with 10 passes defensed...Missed first seven games of season with shoulder injury...Returned to action in Week 8 and started final eight games at LCB...Recorded first career interception, Nov. 19, at Denver.

1999: Played in nine games as a rookie and collected 31 tackles, two pass defenses and a forced fumble; Added a stop on special teams...Started three contests...Spent first three weeks of season on practice squad before playing first career game, Oct. 10 at Detroit&Made first career NFL start vs. Cleveland, Dec 5, and had six tackles in 23-10 win...Had career-best 10 tackles in season finale, a 12-6 win at Denver.

1998: Spent season with Toronto Argonauts of CFL...Played in six games and recorded 13 tackles, one interception and four stops on special teams.

College Career

Played two seasons at Grambling...Led team and earned defensive player of the year honors with five interceptions in 1997...Returned 17 punts for 6.2 yard average...Finished collegiate career with 68 tackles, six interceptions and 11 pass break-ups...Majored in drafting and design.

Personal Bio

Had an outstanding career at Mansfield (La.) HS...Part owner of a musical studio in Mansfield called Superb Records. His partner in the venture is recording artist Crystal, who has released three albums, featuring a mix of blues and gospel tracks...Full name: Fakhir Hamin Brown...Born Sept. 21, 1977 in Detroit, Mich.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

When people open their mouths and say these things like Jackson did and Brown, they must mean it or else they'll make themselves look like a damn fool.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Love his attitude. Lets hope if he starts he becomes a playmaker.
    RamsFan16