throwback week

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Brown suspended without pay!!

And why didn't he borrow Onterrio's whizzinator?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

This is EXTREMELY disappointing...

When are these jerks going to learn? What makes them think they're above the rules? I'm sorry fellow clanners, I have no simpathy for these fools, Rams or not. In my life, as with most of my fellow Clanners, we have rules we must follow. At my place of employment for example, we have random drug testing. I've been in my business for over 25 years, and I've never once failed a test. It doesn't alter my life in any resonable way to make sure I can pass a urine sample. I like to think I'm mature and disiplined enough to realize that my job is what feeds my family and secures my way of life. ...and I make a hell of a lot less than these players. But it's important enough to me, and I'm mature enough to understand the consequences of my actions. What is wrong with these guys that makes them think they can get away with this crap? How many of you would give your right arm (figuratively, of course) to play a sport we love and make the kind of money these guys make? ...and then jeopardize it all because you can't pass a p*ss test?

Brown is an idiot. ...and I sincerely hope you're reading this Mr. Brown. As a longtime loyal and faithful Ram fan, I can say this with absolute commitment. YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

helorm341 Guest

do steroids and drugs fit under the same policy? Either way I would bet it's drugs. I can't imagine that CBs have a huge need for steroids.

blood85 Guest

Great, when are some of these dummies going to get it.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This could be a blessing in disguise. Ron Bartell has played well when he's been on the field but has never had a shot at a permanent starting job. In his rookie season he stepped into the starting lineup for a short time due to injury and by all reports was a solid performer. The following year he was moved to safety, only to return at cornerback last season where he was stuck behind a Haslett favorite and a first round pick. Although the events surrounding this new opportunity for him are unfortunate (which is often the case in the NFL - either injuries or suspensions), I believe he can step up and take over the job for good. If that's the case, we'd have a good pair of young corners who would also complement each other well for matchup purposes - Hill's speed and quickness to Bartell's size and power.

On the other hand... we are one injury away from starting either the rookie Jon Wade or Lenny Walls, whom, despite recent reports, I sincerely hope is not our top backup. Yikes.

Thankfully our first four opponents - Panthers, Whiners, Bucs, Cowboys - aren't very deep at receiver (with the possible exception of Dallas) and don't typically run a spread offense, so CB depth might not be too big of an issue.

:l

-jake-

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Forever the optimist, EDM. I sincerely hope you're right.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    This could be a blessing in disguise. Ron Bartell has played well when he's been on the field but has never had a shot at a permanent starting job. In his rookie season he stepped into the starting lineup for a short time due to injury and by all reports was a solid performer. The following year he was moved to safety, only to return at cornerback last season where he was stuck behind a Haslett favorite and a first round pick. Although the events surrounding this new opportunity for him are unfortunate (which is often the case in the NFL - either injuries or suspensions), I believe he can step up and take over the job for good. If that's the case, we'd have a good pair of young corners who would also complement each other well for matchup purposes - Hill's speed and quickness to Bartell's size and power.

On the other hand... we are one injury away from starting either the rookie Jon Wade or Lenny Walls, whom, despite recent reports, I sincerely hope is not our top backup. Yikes.

Thankfully our first four opponents - Panthers, Whiners, Bucs, Cowboys - aren't very deep at receiver (with the possible exception of Dallas) and don't typically run a spread offense, so CB depth might not be too big of an issue.

:l

-jake-
    There are other names in the hat.

Bartell ought to be okay at #2 CB. The questions start with the nickel and dime.

I dont' have much faith in Walls, even though the team talked him up a little recently. Rumph isn't worth mentioning.

I posted about this before but then looked more into it.

Vinnett is small, but he has off the charts measurables and gets credited with playing well by those who saw him in college. Who knows.

Josh Lay was a very inconsistent player coming out of college, but some who watched him in NFL Europe/a say he did okay. This isn't definitive but it;s a thought.

So IMO the Rams need to find 2 decent players in the following 3 possibilities: Wade, Vinnett, Lay.

If camp can make something out of a couple of those guys, then, nickel and dime won't necessarily be big weaknesses.

Though you have to account for the fact that the team talked up Walls a little after the mini-camps and off-season "practices." So maybe they think they are set with him and they only need 1 of the youngsters.

Personally I would prefer the youngsters. If a couple of them can step up, and perform with minimal damage, losing Brown for a couple of games might actually end up making the Rams deeper and stronger at CB.

That's a lot of ifs but it bears watching.

. . .
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-14-2007 at 07:05 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is very disappointing. We are all sharing our disappointment imagine how Haslett is feeling. As an earlier post stated this is one of Haslett's guys from the Saints. I wouldn't want to be Brown and have to face Haslett's music on this one.

You know the thing that is killing me is that now we have another area to focus heavily or heavier on and it's the part of the defensive squad again. :x

Rambos is offline Registered User

Most teams we play early will try and run on us early and often. It's not the end of the world.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I blame Claude Wroten.
    I blame Nick. (Dang, it's been a while since I've pulled the "blame Nick" card. That felt good. Thanks, Alpha)

That's a pesky fly in the soup we could have done without. It doesn't matter, I guess, but I wonder what the substance was.......something on the "performance" side of things, or was he smoking his 'grits left-handed?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Don't blame Wroten OR Nick.

It's Bush's fault. Yes, I said it.

Had Fakhir decided to pass on the baked beans, everything would be OK. However, he decided to go ahead and eat them...a whole can of Bush's Baked Beans. As a result...

He just HAD to take that over-the-counter gas relief medication.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It's true that the offenses that we'll see early on aren't all that deep, except for Dallas of course. The whiners are likely to run some three wideout sets, but their third receiver is Ashley "Stone hands" Lelie, and all he can do is catch the long bomb anyway, so he can be taken by a safety.

As for depth, I think Walls will be able to hold his own in the nickel, and if not, then hopefully Wade will step up. For Dime situations we have a few options, either play Walls and Wade, play one of them and another corner we keep, or we can play a three three secondary, or have three corners and put Todd Johnson in as a third safety. I'd imagine that would be a zone defense, but you never know. Overall, I think this hurts us but it won't kill us. As I said, he'll have four games less wear and tear and maybe he'll come back with a chip on his shoulder like Merriman did last year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Doesn't the NFL have a stike level policy, first offense-warning, second 4 games, 3-a year?
    My understanding is that a four game suspension is the first step, six games for the second offense, and a year for the third. I thought I heard somewhere that you have to test positive to even be in the league's substance-abuse program, and then after that, if you test positive again, that's when the first level of suspension kicks in. But I'm not positive on that.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I blame Nick.
    You know, I'm sure Travis Fisher wouldn't have tested positive for anything.

...I just realized how good of a set-up that is. :x

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    You know, I'm sure Travis Fisher wouldn't have tested positive for anything.

...I just realized how good of a set-up that is.
    In the words of the late Frank Barone......."Holy Crap!"

Bra-freakin'-vo, my friend.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Brown suspended without pay!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Don't blame Wroten OR Nick.

It's Bush's fault. Yes, I said it.

Had Fakhir decided to pass on the baked beans, everything would be OK. However, he decided to go ahead and eat them...a whole can of Bush's Baked Beans. As a result...

He just HAD to take that over-the-counter gas relief medication.

Did he fill his glaucoma prescription at the drug store by Ricky Williams' house? :\

With all that money, he has to be Republican. Any chance of getting it commuted?

For real though - They're playing 'chicken' with their careers and their lives. No excuse.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast