Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Brown suspended without pay!!

I hope he realizes how this is going to affect the team. Whether our first four opponents have receiver depth or not, his absence is going to hurt our chances of winning. I was surprised at how well he played last season. He wasn't exactly a shutdown corner, but he shadowed receivers very well. Maybe he'll think twice about doing this again after his suspension is over and he has lost his starting gig to Bartell or Wade or whomever.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have wanted to see more of Bartell, but not under these types of circumstances.

I wish we knew what sort of substance he tested positive for. It is hard for me to say much about Brown with no other details to go on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

While this is disappointing, I will hold further comment to when and if we find out what the substance was. I have seen players get banned like this for taking the wrong cold medicine. Stupid? Yes, undoubtedly. But far from marijuana or steroids. Now, if it comes out that it was drugs or 'roids, then he can go Fahkir himself.
    This space for rent...

radjohns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

You know, I'm sure Travis Fisher wouldn't have tested positive for anything.

Especially for the presence of coverage skills.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

WOW!!! A player battles for a starting spot his whole career, gets it & then thanks those around him by getting suspended for substance abuse. Thanks, Fahkir, nice job, way to live up to your true potenial.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    While this is disappointing, I will hold further comment to when and if we find out what the substance was. I have seen players get banned like this for taking the wrong cold medicine. Stupid? Yes, undoubtedly. But far from marijuana or steroids. Now, if it comes out that it was drugs or 'roids, then he can go Fahkir himself.
    Exactly. We don't even know the circumstances or the substance but the name calling and speculation is running rampant. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Exactly. We don't even know the circumstances or the substance but the name calling and speculation is running rampant. :x
    Personally, I don't care if it was freakin' cough syrup. If it contained a banned substance, than read the freakin' label! When these "circumstances" happen, how many times is it really due to an "accident"? Come on, if you could stand to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars for failing a drug test, wouldn't you take a little extra precaution before you took something? There are listed banned substances that these guys are made aware of each year, so how does this continue to happen? Are they just stupid? The Ram D is weak enough, and to lose another player because he can't read a label, or doesn't have enough smarts to pass a test? There is no excuse for this as far as I'm concerned. We give these guys enough warning, enough chances, and they still can't get by?

Maybe in some eyes, my position is too harsh, but maybe that's what this league, and this country needs. No tolerance means no tolerance. If they started to permanently ban any player busted for a failed test, perhaps they'd get a clue? What will it take? Do we just continue to tolerate ignorance and abuse? Aw, I'm just so frustrated by all this. When I see a guy handed the keys to the kingdom and they p*ss it away, it just ticks me off.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Personally, I don't care if it was freakin' cough syrup. If it contained a banned substance, than read the freakin' label! When these "circumstances" happen, how many times is it really due to an "accident"? Come on, if you could stand to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars for failing a drug test, wouldn't you take a little extra precaution before you took something? There are listed banned substances that these guys are made aware of each year, so how does this continue to happen? Are they just stupid? The Ram D is weak enough, and to lose another player because he can't read a label, or doesn't have enough smarts to pass a test? There is no excuse for this as far as I'm concerned. We give these guys enough warning, enough chances, and they still can't get by?

Maybe in some eyes, my position is too harsh, but maybe that's what this league, and this country needs. No tolerance means no tolerance. If they started to permanently ban any player busted for a failed test, perhaps they'd get a clue? What will it take? Do we just continue to tolerate ignorance and abuse? Aw, I'm just so frustrated by all this. When I see a guy handed the keys to the kingdom and they p*ss it away, it just ticks me off.
    Who's making excuses? It's hard to make an excuse when we don't know what happened. The fact still remains that we don't know what he took. I have my suspicions (like we all do) but I'm not going to rush to judgement. There is a big difference between a cold/alergy med and steroids like has been mentioned earlier in this thread. So I'm not going to throw him under the bus until I actually know what he took. It is still disappointing and unfortunate don't get me wrong, but until the facts come out I won't judge him.

There are a few ways it could have happened, it also depends on what the substance is. So until we know that, it's pointless to try and guess. Let's say for example he asked the Rams doctors and training staff or whomever he needed to ask, can I take "this"? They say yes, and they made a mistake and were wrong. Then what? All of the speculation and name calling for nothing. So that's just one way it could have gone down. It also could all be on Brown, but until we know, why speculate and judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

39thebeast is offline Registered User

This might actually end up being good in the long term or perhaps now. Bartell gets some starting experience and makes out young cornerback core even younger and stronger because added starting experience that he wouldn't have had. This also gives Wade a chance to get some experience at Nickel back were he might very well end up. This post has been very optimistic here comes the negative. Sorry guys but Walls is a bum he should not be the 2 have you guys looked at his stats over the years. He has been a number 2 before opposite a good corner back in Patrick Surtain and he added to making that secondary terrible. If he was just decent since he had a good corner back opposite him the secondary wouldn't have been that bad
    , but it was. Go Bartell!!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Have we heard whether it was mary jane or steroids? Because a little Mary Jane doesn't hurt a person, believe me. Steroids do, but I'd like to find out extensive detail on whether it was one of these two or another.
    RamsFan16

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Brown's suspension creates competition at cornerback
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, Jul. 15 2007

It appeared that the most spirited contest for a starting job at Rams training
    camp would be at center, with Andy McCollum and Brett Romberg going
    head-to-head. Until Friday.

That's when another competition arose with first-team cornerback Fakhir Brown's
    suspension for the first four games of the regular season for violating the
    NFL's substance-abuse policy.

"It creates an opportunity for great competition at the other corner spot
    opposite Tye" Hill, the starter at left cornerback, coach Scott Linehan said
    Saturday from Los Angeles, where he was attending a reunion marking 70 years of
    Rams football.

Ron Bartell, a second-round draft pick in 2005, appears to be the front-runner
    to replace Brown. But Linehan said he expected veteran Lenny Walls, a
    free-agent pickup in the offseason, to "be in the mix," too. Linehan also said
    third-round draft choice Jonathan Wade, a cornerback from Tennessee, would get
    a close look during preseason.

"We'd be pretty young if Jonathan played there, but still it's a chance for him
    to compete and for us to see where he's at," Linehan said.

Brown will lose four-seventeenths of his base salary for 2007, or about
    $250,000.

"I'm disappointed for the team; we're losing a guy we were counting on for the
    first four games of the year," Linehan said. "And I'm disappointed for Fakhir,
    but it's the policy. We just hope that the necessary things are done to
    alleviate whatever the problem is."

Linehan, who said he didn't know what substance was involved, said he didn't
    think Brown would receive additional discipline by the club.

"Right now, we have no plans beyond the suspension," he said. "The bottom line
    is, he's going to serve a fairly stiff penalty."

Brown, 29, signed a five-year, $12 million deal as a free agent in March 2006.
    He won the first-team job in camp and, despite missing two games with an ankle
    injury, tied for the team lead in interceptions, with three.

Linehan also said he had talked with defensive tackle Claude Wroten, who was
    charged with criminal damage to property, a misdemeanor, after a dispute with
    his girlfriend earlier this month in Baton Rouge, La.

"Some of the particulars are still a little gray with that whole situation,"
    Linehan said. "I think it'll all be worked out before camp starts."

The players report to Rams Park on July 26. Practices begin the next day.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Who's making excuses? It's hard to make an excuse when we don't know what happened. The fact still remains that we don't know what he took. I have my suspicions (like we all do) but I'm not going to rush to judgement. There is a big difference between a cold/alergy med and steroids like has been mentioned earlier in this thread. So I'm not going to throw him under the bus until I actually know what he took. It is still disappointing and unfortunate don't get me wrong, but until the facts come out I won't judge him.

There are a few ways it could have happened, it also depends on what the substance is. So until we know that, it's pointless to try and guess. Let's say for example he asked the Rams doctors and training staff or whomever he needed to ask, can I take "this"? They say yes, and they made a mistake and were wrong. Then what? All of the speculation and name calling for nothing. So that's just one way it could have gone down. It also could all be on Brown, but until we know, why speculate and judge.
    My thoughts exactly. At the least (cough syrup), it was a stupid move. At the worst (MJ, 'roids, etc) it was idiotic. They should know better, but he is being punished.

Think about this. FB is an athlete. He is paid to chase and defend other athletes around a field. He might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Because a little Mary Jane doesn't hurt a person, believe me.
    Yeah, right... Well, Ricky, tell that to your pocketbook...
    This space for rent...

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

Guys have been suspended before for using opium when it was just a poppyseed muffin or bagel.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Guys have been suspended before for using opium when it was just a poppyseed muffin or bagel.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of a Seinfeld episode? I've never heard of this happening. I guess a player could claim the poppyseed defense but it would be impossible to prove as legitimate.

As for Brown, it's certainly possible that he mistakenly took some substance he wasn't aware was banned, but if the situation was in reality an innocent mistake, wouldn't that come out in the incident review process? Do players really get suspended for taking cough syrup? Chances are, Brown did something that was worthy of a 4 game suspension.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I guess a player could claim the poppyseed defense but it would be impossible to prove as legitimate.
    Actually, I was wrong here. After a little research, I found that you can test positive for opiates if you eat an unusually large amount of poppy seeds, but follow up tests can prove the positive test resulted from poppy seeds and not something like heroin. So while a player could possibly test positive from eating poppy seeds, he would not be suspended due to the follow up testing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast