Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    z.nrd Guest

Re: Brown suspended without pay!!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of a Seinfeld episode? I've never heard of this happening. I guess a player could claim the poppyseed defense but it would be impossible to prove as legitimate.

As for Brown, it's certainly possible that he mistakenly took some substance he wasn't aware was banned, but if the situation was in reality an innocent mistake, wouldn't that come out in the incident review process? Do players really get suspended for taking cough syrup? Chances are, Brown did something that was worthy of a 4 game suspension.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it. He knew the rules. He did something the rules didn't allow. He got caught. Linehan is being tolerant for now and letting him keep his job but he let the team down. We don't really need to know exactly what he did to know that he obviously did something that warranted a suspension. I have never heard of anyone suspended for cough syrup---in fact, that sounds unlikely in the extreme. And besides, the league has a union and a review process, so chances are high that the suspension was earned the wrong way. We don't need to know what he did because league rules are clear and it';s just as clear that violating them comes with a penalty. It's that simple---rule, rule comes with penalty, follow rule, avoid penalty. It was up to Brown and he blew it. Still, he'll come back, and if he learns to avoid trouble like this in the future, no one will hold this suspension against him in the future.

Milan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Actually, I was wrong here. After a little research, I found that you can test positive for opiates if you eat an unusually large amount of poppy seeds, but follow up tests can prove the positive test resulted from poppy seeds and not something like heroin. So while a player could possibly test positive from eating poppy seeds, he would not be suspended due to the follow up testing.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if they had those follow-up tests in the past.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm just waiting to hear from Brown or his agent. I would think we'd have heard something, anything. It looks bad, as I would imagine he'd refute and challenge it immediately if he thought he was innocent. I wonder if he's even going to file a challenge to being suspended or just take it?

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'm just waiting to hear from Brown or his agent. I would think we'd have heard something, anything. It looks bad, as I would imagine he'd refute and challenge it immediately if he thought he was innocent. I wonder if he's even going to file a challenge to being suspended or just take it?
    From what I gather, he has 5 days to challenge it. Chances are, way things look, it will go unchallenged.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    From what I gather, he has 5 days to challenge it. Chances are, way things look, it will go unchallenged.
    Where did you gather this information z.nerd? Some place official?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

no reports as to what the substance was ??? no indication ??
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Where did you gather this information z.nerd? Some place official?
    I read around. There's one article that is frequently reprinted and/or copied about the NFL changing its policies. It went into some detail. I also went to the NFL Player's Association website and read the PDF documents detailing the procedures for dealing with drugs (both recreational and enhancement). Those are official documents.

Now I did it fast and I haven't followed this topic before, but what I got out of it was, the player has 5 days to request a hearing. If he doesn't there is no appeal or review.

Also, if the player chooses to say nothing about the details, then, everyone else--the league, the union, the team---is bound by strict confidentiality. So we may not hear much more about this than we already have.

I see. It is just general information about any NFL player that fails the substance abuse policy. We may not hear much more about this suspension which is a shame, because it leaves us guessing as to the severity of the abuse and the validity of the rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

z.nrd Guest

I see. It is just general information about any NFL player that fails the substance abuse policy. We may not hear much more about this suspension which is a shame, because it leaves us guessing as to the severity of the abuse and the validity of the rules.
    Okay, I found stuff out. I just asked Howard Balzer, who knows things like the cap and NFL policies well.

Here's what he said. I'm paraphrasing. Except when I quote directly.

1. The suspended player's salary does not count against the cap while he is suspended.

2. Bonus money does count against the cap while a player is suspended. The team can ask for the relevant portion of the bonus money to be returned, which would result in the team getting a cap credit the following season.

3. The NFL does not collect salaries from suspensions---the player is just not paid. On this he said "The NFL, I don't believe, receives any money from suspensions."
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-16-2007 at 08:25 PM.

What good is all that information? You just found out about the salary. How boring. Who cares about the money? I want to know what he did to get suspended.

Did you ask Howard what substance it was that got him in trouble?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

z.nrd Guest

What good is all that information? You just found out about the salary. How boring. Who cares about the money? I want to know what he did to get suspended.

Did you ask Howard what substance it was that got him in trouble?
    No. Cause he could only find out from the team, and if the team violates Brown's confidentiality on this, they get fined heavily by the league.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    No. Cause he could only find out from the team, and if the team violates Brown's confidentiality on this, they get fined heavily by the league.
    I got the rule down, but it gives me nothing to speculate about.

Oh well....something else will come along soon enough. :x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I got the rule down, but it gives me nothing to speculate about.

Oh well....something else will come along soon enough. :x
    Utter, if you want more on that issue, you can contact Balzer on your own.

Tel.: 1-314-453-0775
    HBalzer@sportsxchange.com
    HBalzer@aol.com
    friends@1380ESPN.com

He's pretty good about answering questions from fans, obviously.

Also, Barry Waller has an account here. Send him a PM, I'm sure he'd get back to you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 Guest

I think maybe it was those Brownies his Grandma made for him! Good old G-ma always has the good stuff!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Don't blame Wroten OR Nick.

It's Bush's fault. Yes, I said it.

Had Fakhir decided to pass on the baked beans, everything would be OK. However, he decided to go ahead and eat them...a whole can of Bush's Baked Beans. As a result...

He just HAD to take that over-the-counter gas relief medication.

Thankfully this isn't a scratch and sniff site!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast