Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cfh128
  • 1 Post By FestusRam

Thread: Browns Fan Here - Please Tell Me About Pat Shurmur

browns2112 is offline Registered User

Browns Fan Here - Please Tell Me About Pat Shurmur

Please let me know your thoughts on him.

Last season consisted of a lockout, no OTAs, no Offensive Coordinator, etc.

Most of us want to know how these factors contributed. We were very underwhelmed with him and his play calling.

We mostly wonder if we are correct, or how the above mentioned distractions fit in.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Browns Fan Here - Please Tell Me About Pat Shurmur

You don't want to know anymore... In all seriousness, I'd say he is below average as a Play caller. He's extremely vanilla and rarely, rarely takes deep shots. Expect 5-10 yard dumpoffs to TE's, and RB's, and slants and outs by your WR's, which may work decently with Greg Little. I can't see Shurmur utilizing the speed from Josh Gordon, Josh Cribbs, or even Travis Benjamin. He will give TRICH plenty of carries and opportunities to establish himself as a top 5 RB. Very basic offense in general.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Even with all of that, he was 10x better than Josh McDaniels (our OC last year).

THE DREAM TEAM

browns2112 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even with all of that, he was 10x better than Josh McDaniels (our OC last year).
    Wow! That is really saying something!

Thanks Sosa.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by browns2112 View Post
    Wow! That is really saying something!

Thanks Sosa.
    It's saying something and all of it bad. McDaniels was a disaster. If they were hurricanes they would be Katrina and Andrew. They blew that hard.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You probably know about as much as we do. He was only here for one season, and it was with a rookie quarterback. On the upside, the system made our rookie left tackle (Roger Saffold) look good, and Sam Bradford had one of the best rookie seasons ever for a quarterback in several categories. On the downside, fans complained that the offense was predictable, and we never threw deep. We could move the ball effectively between the twenties, but our red zone effectiveness still wasn't great. Sam ranked 12th in passing yardage but 30th in the league in yards/pass attempt. The offense ranked 26th overall in yardage and scoring, and we were 31st in the league in yards/play. In all honesty, I think most of us were caught off guard that anyone was looking to poach Shurmur as an offensive coordinator, much less a head coach. Our offense took a step back when he left, but it's still not clear whether that should be interpreted as Shurmur's system being more effective or McDaniels' system being too complicated to teach to a young team with a shortened off-season.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

It's hard to say. At the time, it seemed like Shurmer ran the most conservative and boring offense in the league. But now I'm starting to think that he was probably the only one who really realized how badly this team lacked talent offensively and he had to devise an offense that could be successful in spite of its players. As those guys said earlier, his boring and vanilla scheme worked exponentially better than the offense ran by "offensive genius" Josh McDaniels last season.

As far as the Browns go, who knows? Its the same scenario. Does Shurmer just run a bland offense, or does he lack the talent on offense to run anything more explosive? Its not like the Browns were oozing with playmakers last year either. I think before we really know what kind of offense Pat Shurmer really likes to run, he is going to need to have something to work with other than these bottom-5 offensive units.
    MauiRam and Rammed like this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

One thing i HATED about shurmur is he consistantly ran the shot gun draw on 3rd down... Whether it was 3rd and 18 with 2min left and we were down by 4points, or it was 3rd and half a yard on the goal line. We ran it and consitantly... Was so predictable, were playing the bears and we ran it (we ran it multple times in the same situation, in the same game) and after the play got busted up for a loss then they put the camera on lovie smith and he was laughing! And on that play the game was on the line, that sealed our loss.He made the dc job easy in every game. In certain situations in EVERY game I knew where the ball was going. And if I knew when it was gonna happen, the dc probably knew a week ahead of time

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Some people hated his play calling during Bradfords rookie year.In my opinion he had a great formula.Get the ball out quick and keep our rookie on his feet. We had mediocre receivers as well and Shurmur ran the offense to suit that. He worked very well in 2010 with the hand he was dealt.
    BigGameTH likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I agree and disagree. Of course he was vanilla and real predictable. However, we had no weapons at all. Especially after Clayton went down. Bradford had a pretty nice rookie season with the help of Shurmur. One thing is for sure, he is not headcoach material. I think he will help Colt out as a young QB, but not sure he will raise the teams potential any. I say the faster the browns get a different coach, the better.