RamWraith is offline Registered User

Brown's Press Conf.

February 28, 2009

Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo

(Opening Statement)

“Sorry about the long wait but I’m sure you can all appreciate the things that go on with this. I’m not going to take too much time, but on behalf of the entire St. Louis Rams organization, I just want to let you know how happy we are to introduce our newest member. We are really excited to have Jason Brown here. He was certainly one of our top priorities going into this thing and we’re really happy it all came together. I want to thank the ownership for their support in helping us get the deal done. I also want to thank and compliment (Executive Vice President of Football Operations/ Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff) and (General Manager) Billy (Devaney) for the work they did in putting it together, and also Jason’s representatives. Really, all I want to do in this last minute here is welcome Jason Brown, his wife Tay, his son Jason Jr to our family. He’s a part of us now and we’re really looking forward to a great marriage here for a number of years to come.”

C Jason Brown

(Opening Statement)

“Good evening. I’m glad to be here. I’m so thankful for the warm welcome the coaching staff and the management has given me. I was given a phone call the other evening at 12:01 in the morning and I’ll tell you what, I am so thankful for the confidence they have put in me and I will definitely share that with this team and hope to lead this team to victory.”

(On his grades in school and if he had a 4.0 grade point average)

“It was not a perfect 4.0. In high school it was 3.75 and in college it was above a 3.0.”

(On if he planned on making more visits beyond St. Louis)

“To tell you the truth, I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens. Many players would like to stay with the team that drafted them and would like to finish their careers there and to tell you what, we did something special with the Ravens last year. Unfortunately, there’s a separation between business and the personal side of football and they had to make a business decision. Right now, in my career, I have to make a business decision as well and that is to take care of my family to the fullest of its extent. I’m just so glad and fortunate that I am welcomed into another family here with the Rams.”

(On what made him want to come to St. Louis)

“I have an extended family out here as well. My agents Kevin Omell and Harold Lewis are out here. They set up office right below our facilities here in Maryland Heights. It’s funny. I was just thinking about Jerry Maguire, because they are my ambassadors of ‘quan.’ They truly are. Before I forget, I have to thank my wife as well and my son. They were not able to make the trip with me today, or yesterday. My wife took the national dental board exam. It’s a very trying time for both of us, very stressful. For both of us, these were two of the most important professional days in both of our careers.”

(On if his wife was taking the exam to become a dentist or to go to dental school)

“She will be a full-blown doctor this coming May. Jason and Dr. Brown.”

(On if his agent “showed him the money”)

“Yes he did. Of course, I helped him by allowing him to help me. It’s a partnership. He makes my job a lot easier and I make his job very easy.”

(On the importance of the second contract for players)

“It’s extremely important. For many guys, this is what they call the ‘bread and butter.’ It was several years back when Harold (Lewis) told me, ‘stay healthy and you will get wealthy.’ I never understood the importance of the staying healthy part, but just this past year, I saw 18 of my teammates go on I.R. I saw several of my teammates tear ACLs, shoulders, ankles, all things of that sort. I feel fortunate and very blessed that I have never had a surgery. I’ve never missed a single game or a single practice and that’s throughout my entire football career, even back to high school.”

(On the Eagles and the Redskins showing interest in him as well)

“I think that they were a little bit more interested than I was let known to, but I don’t think Harold let me know about them because he was selfish. He wanted me to come here and stay in his hometown.”

(On if he had any sense that he would be so highly regarded in free agency)

“Not really. Honestly, I tried to put that in the back of my head. When a lot of guys focus too much on the payment aspects of it and the post-season and also free agency, it’s a big distraction. We could have started negotiations with Baltimore way back, but I said no. I want to focus strictly on football. I don’t want to think about anything free agency until after the season.”

(On his initial impression of Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo and the coaching staff)

“I’m very impressed. I can feel the energy and the radiance coming off of them. That’s exactly what a brand new team needs in order to overcome all the adversity that we’re going to face this year. We have to come in here ready to run through a brick wall and that’s not just right now, that’s everyday. There’s going to be brand new challenges every single day and you have to come to work with the right frame of attitude if you’re going to able to fight through the adversity.”

(On if it’s surreal to go from a fourth-round round draft pick to one of the highest paid players at his position)

“It is. It still hasn’t hit home, not just yet. I think of myself as a very humble person and even when we came to terms yesterday evening, I know some of the people on the staff were saying, “Is Jason excited to be here?” I’m very excited, very, very much so excited. It’s just that I stay poised, calm, reserved and that definitely helps on the football field as well.”

(On what he can bring to this team)

“I definitely want to bring my work ethic to this team. I’ve heard that there are some areas lacking leadership-wise. I can be vocal, but I choose to be a servant-leader first and to lead through example. I will be the first person in these facilities in the morning and I will be the last person to leave.”

(On coming from a competitive team to one that faced adversity last season)

“Well, you know what, I’ve been there before and it’s never changed my attitude or my preparation or my focus towards the following year. When it comes to football, when I was at (North) Carolina, UNC Chapel Hill, my sophomore year we won three games and my junior year we only won two games. I had to fight with that struggle knowing that no matter how much of what I do, sometimes it’s not always going to effect how well the team’s going to do, but I have to do my part and I will do my part. And of course, I want everyone to feel just as excited and as enthusiastic as I feel, but the thing is it’s tough. It’s very tough. But, we will get there. I’m very sure and I’m very certain.”

(On if his favorite position to play is center)

“I feel comfortable at center. I’m not the tallest of guys out there on the football field. I have a short, stocky frame. I’m built for being right there in the middle.”

(On how he feels about blocking for RB Steven Jackson and protecting QB Marc Bulger)

“I’m excited. I see film on Steven all the time and I tell myself, ‘wow’. I don’t want to take anything away from the running backs that I’ve had in the past, of course. I’ve worked with (Baltimore Ravens RB) Willis McGahee, I’ve worked with (Cleveland Browns RB) Jamal Lewis, but, he’s one of those guys were you say, I want to know what we could do if we interchanged at that position and I tell you what, I feel as though we can go there. We can go the distance and we will have a dominating running game.”

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Brown's Press Conf.

I like him already. Plus, when he knocks the teeth out of opposing NTs, his wife can treat them!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Excellent acquisition by the Rams!

I’ve never missed a single game or a single practice and that’s throughout my entire football career, even back to high school.”
    Considering the Rams past injury woes along the offensive line; the iron man status of Mr. Brown should definately get the attention of Rams fans.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like him already. Plus, when he knocks the teeth out of opposing NTs, his wife can treat them!
    Thats the funniest thing I have heard all day.

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Lord how this team needs more of this dedication and work ethic!!!!! I am really getting excited abour this season, Now Billy & Steve, please get signed Bartell AND Butler, PLEASE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

“To tell you the truth, I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens. Many players would like to stay with the team that drafted them and would like to finish their careers there and to tell you what, we did something special with the Ravens last year. Unfortunately, there’s a separation between business and the personal side of football and they had to make a business decision. Right now, in my career, I have to make a business decision as well and that is to take care of my family to the fullest of its extent. I’m just so glad and fortunate that I am welcomed into another family here with the Rams.”
    I was wondering how he would handle the stuff about not wanting to be a Ram. His response here is perfect.

“It was not a perfect 4.0. In high school it was 3.75 and in college it was above a 3.0.”
    Looks like Brown's mental skills will match his road grading ability. It doesn't get better than that. Our line just improved exponentially.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is a good signing. He seems like a solid signing. I just hope he's worth the contract!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!