RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bruce Continues Climb

Monday, December 17, 2007
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Marshall Faulk will make history Thursday night when he is the first St. Louis Ram to have his number retired.

Someday, Isaac Bruce will almost certainly join him in the rafters. But as fans show their appreciation for Faulk, it might be a good idea to do the same for Bruce, who is on a collision course with history in his own right.

Bruce continued his climb up the charts of the league’s greatest receivers last week, passing Marvin Harrison for fourth place on the all-time receiving yards list. When all is said and done, Bruce hopes to see his No. 80 rise toward the heavens.

“As soon as I’m done, go ahead and retire that number, and put Henry Ellard’s name right on top of it,” Bruce said.

The catch that moved him past Harrison was patented Bruce. He deked Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson downfield and hauled in a 37-yard pass. That gain nudged him past Harrison. He went on to finish with 72 receiving yards, pushing him within striking distance of the next name on the list.

Entering Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh at the Edward Jones Dome, Bruce needs just 22 yards to pass James Lofton for third place on said list.

The always humble Bruce is enjoying his rise up the ranks and says he’s honored to be mentioned with the likes of Lofton and Harrison.

“It’s big when you sit back and look at the numbers,” Bruce said. “Like I say, I am very grateful. I give praise to God daily for the numbers that are being surpassed. When you look at the guys and the names, it’s amazing that your name can be in the same group with the Tim Browns, the Jerry Rices, guys like James Lofton. It’s amazing and humbling.”

Bruce’s 13,983 receiving yards make him the most productive receiver among active players. In other words, no player in the league right now has accounted for more yards than Bruce.

The only players sitting ahead of Bruce after he surpasses Lofton are Rice and Brown. Rice has set the bar extremely high, accumulating about 8,000 more yards than No. 2 Brown, but Bruce is certainly in striking distance of Brown.

“I will enjoy being No. 3, but I’m looking forward to No. 2,” Bruce said. “It’s still going so it’s not my time to sit back and look at the entire body of work.”

In 2007, Bruce has 46 catches for 607 yards and three touchdowns. Although he won’t reach the 1,000-yard mark like he did in 2006, Bruce remains productive even now in his 14th season.

Of course, Bruce’s continued precise route running and ability to perform comes as no surprise to those who have been around him.

“I’m not amazed at all,” Faulk said. “I watched him. I understand. He takes it serious. He works out as hard as anyone. It all makes sense to me why he is still in the league competing. If I needed to get a first down and it was fourth down I would go to Isaac Bruce.”

Consider that in Bruce’s time in the league he has accounted for almost eight miles of yards. He already holds every major receiving record in franchise history and his 933 receptions places him seventh in league history.

With two games to play, Bruce needs eight catches to move past Art Monk for sixth place in that category and has an outside chance at catching Andre Reed’s 951 for fifth place all time.

Regardless, Bruce is almost certain to finish his career in the top three in receiving yards and top five in receptions.

“I am sincerely happy for Isaac,” fellow receiver Torry Holt said. “He is a quiet guy, but he is a competitor, he is a champion and to see him now rapidly going up the record books, top five, top four, top three, those are in the distance, I hope that he has the opportunity to move up the ladder as much as he possibly can because you talk about a guy that deserves it by the way he plays, by the way he works, by the way he studies, his competitiveness, his love for the game. To see him being able to go up the record books and be considered the Rams’ all time greatest receiver, there’s nobody I feel like is more deserving than Isaac. I am happy for him.”

The question remains, though, as to whether Bruce will be able to achieve those milestones in a Rams uniform. Bruce has one season left on a three-year deal he signed before the 2006 season.

Bruce is due a roster bonus in the coming offseason and in an interview with stlouisrams.com two weeks ago, President John Shaw made it clear that one of the team’s top priorities in the offseason was a speedy receiver capable of stretching the field. That comes on the heels of signing Drew Bennett to a relatively large contract in the offseason.

When all is said and done the harsh reality of the NFL could strike again, making it a possibility that Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh could be Bruce’s final home game as a Ram.

Nobody knows better than Bruce that the NFL is a business. Bruce was a bit surprised when the Rams released him in March of 2006. Although he was brought back into the fold only a couple of days later, Bruce remains cognizant of the economic aspects of the game, but says he hasn’t given any thought to the possibility that it could be his final home game for the Rams.

But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t like to finish his Hall of Fame career in a Rams uniform.

“I think it’s important for the organization, I think it’s important for the fans, guys who have been here before, guys like Jackie Slater who played his entire career here,” Bruce said. “It is important for me because I have never been anywhere else. I have never expected to leave and go anywhere else and play football. I think it is important that you keep it all in the same family and never have to go somewhere else.”

Of course, nobody knows for sure just how much longer Bruce would like to play, but he has showed few signs of slowing down. Maybe Bruce doesn’t have the extra gear anymore, but he still runs precise routes and remains capable of big plays.

And you can find nary a player who prepares himself physically or takes better care of himself than Bruce.

“He shows up for work every day,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He works very hard as if he was in his first year even though it’s his 14th. It’s incredible what Isaac has been able to do in his career and I have always said it’s because he’s a true professional, he takes care of himself and he gets himself ready to play each week.”

How much longer Bruce wears the horns remains to be seen, but no matter what happens in the offseason, take a moment Thursday night to appreciate and honor not one, but two Rams legends.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bruce Continues Climb

How can anybody not think Bruce is heading to the Hall when he's done?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Monday, December 17, 2007
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Entering Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh at the Edward Jones Dome, Bruce needs just 22 yards to pass James Lofton for third place on said list.

In 2007, Bruce has 46 catches for 607 yards and three touchdowns. Although he won’t reach the 1,000-yard mark like he did in 2006, Bruce remains productive even now in his 14th season.

The question remains, though, as to whether Bruce will be able to achieve those milestones in a Rams uniform. Bruce has one season left on a three-year deal he signed before the 2006 season.

Bruce is due a roster bonus in the coming offseason and in an interview with stlouisrams.com two weeks ago, President John Shaw made it clear that one of the team’s top priorities in the offseason was a speedy receiver capable of stretching the field. That comes on the heels of signing Drew Bennett to a relatively large contract in the offseason.

When all is said and done the harsh reality of the NFL could strike again, making it a possibility that Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh could be Bruce’s final home game as a Ram.

Nobody knows better than Bruce that the NFL is a business. Bruce was a bit surprised when the Rams released him in March of 2006. Although he was brought back into the fold only a couple of days later, Bruce remains cognizant of the economic aspects of the game, but says he hasn’t given any thought to the possibility that it could be his final home game for the Rams.

But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t like to finish his Hall of Fame career in a Rams uniform.

“I think it’s important for the organization, I think it’s important for the fans, guys who have been here before, guys like Jackie Slater who played his entire career here,” Bruce said. “It is important for me because I have never been anywhere else. I have never expected to leave and go anywhere else and play football. I think it is important that you keep it all in the same family and never have to go somewhere else.”

Of course, nobody knows for sure just how much longer Bruce would like to play, but he has showed few signs of slowing down. Maybe Bruce doesn’t have the extra gear anymore, but he still runs precise routes and remains capable of big plays.

How much longer Bruce wears the horns remains to be seen, but no matter what happens in the offseason, take a moment Thursday night to appreciate and honor not one, but two Rams legends.
    This is going to be tough decision for our RAMS. Although Bruce has been productive has he been productive enough? The off season could get ugly. I hope IKE finishes his carreer with our RAMS.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This is going to be tough decision for our RAMS. Although Bruce has been productive has he been productive enough? The off season could get ugly. I hope IKE finishes his carreer with our RAMS.
    he has been as productive as we have allowed him to be, by that I mean he just doesn't throw him the ball enough, Bulger will lock onto Holt and still will try to force it in to him when Bruce is on the other side of the field open,as I yell at the tv "throw it to Ike he's open".

txramsfan is offline Registered User

As much as it pains me to say this, Bruce is gone after this year because of the signing of Bennett. That just makes me sick knowing that Linehan's style of offense isn't necessarily geared to a 3 WR set and because the most inept Front Office in the league signed Bennett, Bruce will be gone.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    As much as it pains me to say this, Bruce is gone after this year because of the signing of Bennett. That just makes me sick knowing that Linehan's style of offense isn't necessarily geared to a 3 WR set and because the most inept Front Office in the league signed Bennett, Bruce will be gone.
    I'll believe it when I see it. The Rams were more than willing to keep the options open for Faulk, and they'll do the same for Bruce. If Ike wants to stay, IMO the Rams will let him, regardless of the cap implications.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. The Rams were more than willing to keep the options open for Faulk, and they'll do the same for Bruce. If Ike wants to stay, IMO the Rams will let him, regardless of the cap implications.
    I sure hope you are right and it does sound like Ike will do whatever to stay with the Rams and hopefully the FO will play along, I can't imagine watching a Rams game and not seeing Bruce on the field.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I just hope we can find a way to keep him around. He's still very productive.
    When they retire #80, it should read "Bruce/Ellard" on the back. Both these guys are/were incredible, and Ellard has been a great help to Bruce's career.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I just hope we can find a way to keep him around. He's still very productive.
    When they retire #80, it should read "Bruce/Ellard" on the back. Both these guys are/were incredible, and Ellard has been a great help to Bruce's career.
    I was thinking 2 jersey's one with each name, but that would work also. Either way both of their names deserve to be hanging from the rafters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I really want him to be on the Rams forever. I will be torn if I have to see him in another jersey.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams