throwback week

Rambos is offline Registered User

Bruce gets loose

Monday,
    By ROB LONGLEY -- Toronto Sun

ATLANTA -- It was a play that was supposed to be called earlier in the fourth quarter, a shot at the jugular to take the Tennessee Titans out of the game.

But when the St. Louis Rams went three and out midway through the frenzied final period to allow the Titans to draw another breath, a shot at another miracle finish, Isaac Bruce almost lost his chance to win the Super Bowl.

The Rams got the ball back one more time, though, and this time they wouldn't wait.

With the score 16-16, two minutes 12 seconds remaining on the clock and the ball at their own 27, it was time.

"It's called the go-route," said quarterback Kurt Warner, whose job was to get the ball to Bruce, the Rams' designated big-play guy.

"We wanted to take a chance. We didn't think they would be expecting it."

As is his strength, Bruce was streaking down the right sideline. The ball was slightly underthrown but the wide receiver geared down and cut inside Titans cornerback Denard Walker.

Bruce's sure hands latched on to the football and he streaked to the end zone as the Georgia Dome erupted into bedlam.

"I knew I was going to be one-on-one and I knew I was going to make the catch," Bruce said.

Bruce admitted he had been frustrated at not breaking a big play as he had done so often this season, but rather than whine or pout, he bit his tongue.

"I didn't say a word to Kurt," Bruce said. "Most of the times when you say something, that's when bad things happen. I let everybody else do the talking.

"It was the greatest game I've ever been in."

And one of the greatest plays with so much on the line.

"I got hit, I couldn't see whether he caught it," Warner said. "I thought he did but I couldn't tell. And then I could tell by the noise."

Until that point, Bruce had been playing a bit part by his standards with five catches and 89 yards.

"It was a great play and catch," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

"The Rams have done that all year and congratulations to them."

I will always have the catch and run in my minds eye. Bruce made the biggest catch on the biggest stage! Do you have a favorite play or memory of Bruce?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce gets loose

that would be my favorite memory of him. Maybe there might be a new one if he signs with us again, which he better, and retire as a ram. Do we really wanna make the henry ellard mistake again? jesus christ come on!!!!! GET HIM BACK WITH US!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Bruce gets loose

that is by far the best bruce moment because the rams won the super bowl,but his 4 td's against the niners was a great individual feat.