RamWraith is offline Registered User

With Bruce hurt, Curtis prepares for starter's role

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Should the bell ring, receiver Kevin Curtis is ready to step in and start for the St. Louis Rams.

"He's prepared," Rams coach Mike Martz said Wednesday at Rams Park. "These guys, they understand. We tell these guys all the time, as every coach in the league does, if you're here on the roster, you're here to be a starter eventually.

"You don't know when that's going to happen."

It likely will happen Sunday for Curtis.

Veteran receiver Isaac Bruce was forced out of last Sunday's game against Tennessee late in the first half after hyperextending his toe. He is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game at the Meadowlands against the New York Giants.

Though there's a chance he could start Sunday, Curtis said he won't change his preparations much this week.

"It doesn't change it a whole lot," Curtis said. "Every week, I've got to be ready like last week when Isaac did go down. ... I've just got to make sure I'm on top of it."

Bruce's injury gave Curtis a more-prominent role in the offense against the Titans, and he responded by catching five passes for 56 yards and a touchdown. The scoring reception, a 10-yard pass from quarterback Marc Bulger in the fourth quarter, was the game-winner in a 31-27 decision for the Rams.

Normally the No. 3 receiver for St. Louis, Curtis receives plenty of playing time in the pass-happy St. Louis offense, and he's gaining more confidence with each game.

"The more playing time you get, the more comfortable you start feeling out there," Curtis said. "Even this past week, in the second half when I was in there every play, I started feeling more comfortable. I was a little bit more into the game. It's a good experience for me."

The Utah State product, a third-round draft choice (74th overall) in 2003, hauled in seven passes for 63 yards in the season opener at San Francisco. At Arizona in the Rams' second game, the 5-foot-11, 186-pound Curtis made two receptions for 29 yards.

"We have the luxury of having four really good receivers," Bulger said. "At the same time, since Isaac will be down, Dane (Looker) can step in and play the fourth receiver.

"We run pretty much all the routes with him," Bulger said of Curtis. "He's a complete receiver. He can do it all. Kevin can start for most teams. There's different things that Kevin does better than Isaac."

Curtis did not want to touch that remark.

"Oh, I don't know if I want to say that," Curtis said. "I'm not better than Isaac. I would say almost everything he does is a lot better than I do. There might be something where we might be different, but we're obviously not the same player."

He credited Bruce and Tory Holt for helping him become a pro. While Curtis said he never doubted he could play in the NFL after college, he admitted he was green and needed seasoning.

"I'm still learning every day," Curtis said. "Ever since I've been here, it's just kind of opened my eyes to what a true receiver he (Bruce) is. I never realized how much he is into route running and those sorts of things. Just the way they compete. They teach you something every game. There's a reason why they've done what they've done in their careers. They've worked their tails off."

Notes: S Adam Archuleta was named the NFC's Defensive Player of the Month on Wednesday. ... On the injury report, RT Rex Tucker is listed as doubtful. S Michael Hawthorne (ankle) and RB Steven Jackson (chest) are listed as questionable. ... RB Marshall Faulk needs 11 rushing yards to pass Thurman Thomas (12,074) for 11th place and 57 yards rushing to pass Hall of Famer Franco Harris (12,120) for 10th place on the NFL's all-time rushing list.

RDU
    RDU is offline Registered User

Re: With Bruce hurt, Curtis prepares for starter's role

Who wants to bet Curtis has over 100yds this week ????

RealRam is offline Registered User

Curtis will do perfectly fine as a Rams starter while our beloved Bruce recuperates.

By the way, Curtis is not on the injury report, is he? I'll check -- I thought he was banged up in the game Vs. Titans although not sidelined.

Come on KC! Go Curtis! :football:

maineram is offline Registered User

Curtis was nursing an ankle injury from week 1 against the Whiners.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

"We run pretty much all the routes with him," Bulger said of Curtis. "He's a complete receiver. He can do it all. Kevin can start for most teams. There's different things that Kevin does better than Isaac."

Curtis did not want to touch that remark.

"Oh, I don't know if I want to say that," Curtis said. "I'm not better than Isaac. I would say almost everything he does is a lot better than I do. There might be something where we might be different, but we're obviously not the same player."
    Curtis is so modest. That is cute, but don't let him fool ya....he can play with the big boys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viper is offline Registered User

I hope they let Curtis run some go patterns. He'd be hard to catch up to. Now, that would be exciting. Think, McDonald's reception to win the Seattle game last year in the "Great Comeback"!! Oh, and, I was there!!! Whoo Hoo!!