Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Bruce Interested In Receiver's Coach Position?

Via Live chat with Rams Insider Jim Thomas on 101 ESPN's Fastlane, apparently Bruce has been asking the Rams if there was a mutual interest for Bruce to assume the role.

Bruce is set to announce whether he will remain or leave the ***** fairly soon; i think we all can agree he will most likely retire.

Bruce could bring an in-depth knowledge and player's perspective on a position that most Receiver's coaches could not. Bruce is known as intelligent and fairly well-spoken.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Reverend Ike could be interested in Rams WR coach job

The St. Louis Rams have the help-wanted sign up at wide receivers coach since Charlie Baggett left for a college job at Tennessee. Longtime Rams receiving great Isaac Bruce is interested in the possibility of filling that vacancy.

Bruce is expected to retire after 16 seasons in the National Football League, 14 of them as a Ram. League sources close to Bruce say he’s open to the possibility of talking to the Rams about the job, assuming of course that there’s any interest from the Rams in hiring him.

If Bruce were to work as a receivers coach anywere, St. Louis would be the spot, according to the sources. Naturally, he’d have to see if it were a good fit between himself, coach Steve Spagnuolo, and the Rams’ staff and front office.

Per stltoday.com

---

Umm, awesome!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: Reverend Ike could be interested in Rams WR coach job

Hell yes. Sign him up now!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Ummm....yay (?)

I'm somewhat taken aback by this at the moment, but I guess you need to start somewhere.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Nice, the Rams need to make this happen. I don't know if he will be a good coach or not, and quite frankly I don't care. This would be a great P. R. move. Wonder if he could suit up towards the end of the year when we are making our playoff run like the Cards are thinking about doing with Big Mac?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

lol you posted this thread like 1 minute ater i posted mine and yours got more views

anyway im AaAAaLLLLL for it! Public Relations? Check; Position Filled? Check; Experience at Position? Check; Knowledge of position? Check

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce Interested In Receiver's Coach Position?

If he leaves the *****, then we should retire his #80 first.

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

I know this would be a long shot, but I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce come back as a player coach and finish his career with another year in St. Louis. I know he's older and injury prone, but it would be nice to see him make a few more catches in a Rams uniform.

Truth is offline Registered User

What is there to think about??? SIGN HIM UP!!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A word of caution to those who blindly endorse bringing back beloved ex-Rams into the current organization. A few months ago, it was some who endorsed bringing Marshall Faulk aboard in some kind of advisory capacity. Now, it's talk of bringing in Bruce- a guy who hasn't even officially retired yet- and making him the receivers coach. Believe me, I love Isaac Bruce, but what qualifications or experience does he have as a coach? Because he was an excellent receiver does not mean he'll automatically be a solid coach or teacher.

The most important thing for the Rams organization is to bring in the most qualified people possible to key positions and not get blinded by sentiment.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    A word of caution to those who blindly endorse bringing back beloved ex-Rams into the current organization. A few months ago, it was some who endorsed bringing Marshall Faulk aboard in some kind of advisory capacity. Now, it's talk of bringing in Bruce- a guy who hasn't even officially retired yet- and making him the receivers coach. Believe me, I love Isaac Bruce, but what qualifications or experience does he have as a coach? Because he was an excellent receiver does not mean he'll automatically be a solid coach or teacher.

The most important thing for the Rams organization is to bring in the most qualified people possible to key positions and not get blinded by sentiment.
    I hear what your saying but dude it's Isaac Bruce,a HOF receiver who in his heyday was considered one of the best if not the best route runners in the game,who better to teach this young group than Ike.

Truth is offline Registered User

I think if you listen to the guys that play(ed) with him, you'll find that they all say the same thing, he's a great mentor and teacher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what we'd want in a WR coach??
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think he would fit in very well with Spags..both high on faith,dedication to the sport etc...

remember guys we got young wideouts who have grown up on watching Ike at his best..i should imagine if they students of their game like they should be, then when Ike speaks they will instantly give him their attention.

certainly gonna be more than with a backwater school, position coach theyve never heard of before..

id love to see what Donnie Avery could become under the mentoring of Ike..Avery is physically very gifted but has a few rough edges..that just happen to be things like running routes and Ike is among the GOAT at running routes as we all can probably agree with.

also he WANTS the job...if theres a better candidate that looks to be available to us then by all means ...now`s your chance to speak up!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I think if you listen to the guys that play(ed) with him, you'll find that they all say the same thing, he's a great mentor and teacher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what we'd want in a WR coach??

Of course. But I am not in favor of bringing a guy in for sentimental reasons with zero coaching experience. He hasn't even officially retired yet, and we're jumping the gun on a coaching career for the guy!! And again, because you were a good player doesn't mean you'll make a good coach- ask Magic Johnson or Ted Williams how their managerial/coaching careers went. Hell, for that matter, ask Art Shell.

As with everything else, I'll leave it in the hands of Devaney and company to make the right call.

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

Believe me, I love Isaac Bruce, but what qualifications or experience does he have as a coach? Because he was an excellent receiver does not mean he'll automatically be a solid coach or teacher.
    Didn't the Rams do something similar with another Rams receiver that wore #80? Henry Ellard lasted for years with the Rams as a coach despite having limited experience as a high school assistant, followed by one year at Fresno State. He seems to be doing fine in the same capacity with the Jets. I see nothing wrong with giving a guy a chance if he played the position at a high level for 16 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast