Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Bruce and other's salaries and clearing cap space

Many people are talking of cutting Bruce and Little to free up cap space. After seeing the numbers who do you really think should be cut?

Bruce will only be making 3 mil this year....I don't see that as too much for what he has done for this organization in the past andf what he currently brings to the field...in comparison look at what McMichael, Bennett & Holt are making:

Bennett
    2007 2000000.00
    2008 2500000.00
    2009 3300000.00
    2010 3700000.00
    2011 4000000.00
    2012 4000000.00

Holt
    2007 4150000.00
    2008 5650000.00
    2009 6650000.00

McMichael, Randy
    2008 2900000.00
    2009 3600000.00

And for those thinking Little will be cut to save cap space, think again...check out his low salary:
    2007 720000.00
    2008 830000.00
    2009 845000.00

Now for some more Rams salaries for 2008. After viewing this list who do you think should be cut to clear cap space? I'm only going to list people who either should be cut or are on the fence and have been discussed here as needing to be let go. People like Bulger, Witherspoon, and Holt aren't going anywhere so no need to list them.

Frerotte, Gus
    2008 1400000.00

Tinoisamoa, Pisa
    2008 3000000.00
    2009 3250000.00
    2010 3500000.00
    2011 4000000.00

Chavous, Corey
    2008 3000000.00
    2009 2000000.00
    2010 2250000.00

Glover, La'Roi
    2008 3500000.00

Hall, Dante'
    2008 1927500.00

Hall, James
    2008 3000000.00

Pace, Orlando
    2008 5175000.00
    2009 5975000.00
    2010 7175000.00
    2011 8375000.00

Brown, Fakhir
    2008 1950000.00
    2009 2450000.00
    2010 2950000.00

From that list Glover and Ferotte seem like no brainers to release...the Halls are close behind.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce and other's salaries and clearing cap space

I'm not sure your source but from what I've read, Little is due 9.5 million in 2008 and Bruce is due a $2 million bonus on top of his salary in 2008. So there is a lot to be gained by the Rams by having those two renegotiate their contracts.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I believe the Rams can afford to get rid of Frerotte for a cheaper, yet more competent backup.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I believe the Rams can afford to get rid of Frerotte for a cheaper, yet more competent backup.
    Definately, he hasnt done squat for us, why pay that much??

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

And for those thinking Little will be cut to save cap space, think again...check out his low salary:
    2007 720000.00
    2008 830000.00
    2009 845000.00
    I think there's an extra 0 missing somewhere. I've read Little is scheduled to make about 7.2 million from memory. I can't provide any sources, but I'm assuming the stats you've listed are base salary. Not that you wouldn't know, but there's also signing bonuses and etc to go on top.

I think this is a little muddled. Or maybe I am. Or maybe it's both. Then we'd really be up the creek.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think a few of these deals will get re-done pretty soon.
    If not, some tough cuts may be coming up.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I think a few of these deals will get re-done pretty soon.
    If not, some tough cuts may be coming up.
    It's very unfortunate...but it can very well happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I think there's an extra 0 missing somewhere. I've read Little is scheduled to make about 7.2 million from memory. I can't provide any sources, but I'm assuming the stats you've listed are base salary. Not that you wouldn't know, but there's also signing bonuses and etc to go on top.

I think this is a little muddled. Or maybe I am. Or maybe it's both. Then we'd really be up the creek.
    I got it from the nflpa, and you're right it doesn't make sense...I mean yeah he's old, but those numbers are low...unless it's a real low base with tons of incentives...if it is missing a zero he needs to go yesterday...no way in hell he deserves to be the 2nd highest paid player on our roster.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree with PeoriaRam. We can get a cheaper, yet more competent backup than Frerotte. Freotte was was horriable last year.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Based on these numbers I can see no justification for keeping Gus Frerotte. On field he is more trouble than he is worth. Dante Hall is over-paid. Drew Bennet should be traded.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'd rather trade or somehow earn bennetts money back ALS cutting him so we have more cap room. I really want the whole cutting Bruce stuff to be a last resort option

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The people who talk about trading or cutting Bennett need to understand that moving him now would cost us more than it would to keep him because of the accelerated bonus money we'd have to absorb. You can't just sign a guy to a big deal and then cut him the next year. Have to be realistic, guys.

The options with Bruce are much more limited. He's in the final year of his deal, so there's no where to stretch the money out unless we tried to extend him for another year or so. So what can the Rams do? Can they convince Bruce to take a pay cut? Doubtful, and I'm not inclined to blame Bruce for not wanting to do that. They could try to extend him for another year and then turn some of his $3 million in salary for '07 into a bonus that could be spread into the next season. IMO that might be the best solution, but it only delays the decision on him until next season. Ultimately I think the Rams need to get creative and find a way to keep him, because I'm not convinced that Drew Bennett is ready to step into a starting role in an Al Saunders offensive scheme.

Torry Holt's 2008 cap charge is $9.205 million, so it would be wise for the Rams to try and get something done there. But over $3.5 million of that is bonus money that will count against the cap regardless. If the Rams could somehow reduce his salary by converting it into bonus money to be spread out over the next year as well, that would provide a temporary solution. But he'd cost more against the cap in 2009. A better solution may be trying to extend him for a few more years if he's willing - do we really want to be Holt-less as soon as 2010 anyways? - so we have a longer period of time to spread the bonus money over.

Leonard Little is the big offender here right now. The salary numbers posted are correct; he reduced his salary to league minimum for his contract and is making most of his money in bonus form - ie. a $7.17 million roster bonus this year. That payday is going to be coming up soon, and if Little can't show that he's healthy yet, it's going to be hard to justify that hit. But losing Little makes the acquisition of a pass rush from the defensive end an even bigger priority for this team, meaning if they can't find someone in free agency to replace Little, then they're really going to have to look hard in the draft.

The Rams could also talk to Orlando Pace, La'Roi Glover, and Marc Bulger about possibly helping out for some immediate cap relief.

It's about more than salary though. Little is due a $7 million roster bonus, and that's money that's going to count against the cap. By not paying that, the Rams will be letting Little go and not only clearing his salary but also not taking a $7 million hit when that bonus kicks in.

From that list Glover and Ferotte seem like no brainers to release...the Halls are close behind.
    I don't think cutting Glover makes much sense. He led the team in sacks last season as a situational pass rusher. We may have to get rid of Little, so why get rid of Glover as well? The team needs to find a way to reduce his cap number, but getting rid of him doesn't make much sense to me when we need pass rush help.

As for Frerotte, it would be irresponsible to release him until we know we can acquire a good replacement. The last thing you want to do is release a capable back-up only to find yourself S.O.L. in terms of finding a good replacement. There's no guarantee Todd Collins wants to come here in the same capacity.

The roster bonus changes everything...what is the deadline we have to cut him by in order to avoid paying the 7 mil roster bonus? Before or after the draft? And I agree if we ditch Little, we keep Glover. My scenario of cutting Glover involved keeping Little as I was unaware of the roster bonus. Little did nothing for us last year even before the hurt toe and I think we could do alot better with his 7.8 mil than him.

Frerotte capable? How can you say that after his dismal season last year? You can only blame so much on the poor line play. I mean yeah he's better than having nothing, but that's all he's better than.

Just found the answer to my own question:

Little counts $9.531 million against the overall cap, the highest cap value of any of the 55 Rams players currently under contract. Of Little's cap count, $7.17 million is in the form of a roster bonus due at the end of next week.
    Now I have another question. If his base salary is $830k, and his bonus is $7.17 mil, where is the other $1.531 mil coming from? Pro-rated signing bonus?
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -02-23-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The roster bonus changes everything...what is the deadline we have to cut him by in order to avoid paying the 7 mil roster bonus? Before or after the draft?
    The Rams wont cut him per se, but will simply elect not to pay the bonus, which will make Little a free agent. The due date for that is the end of next week, probably on the 28th or 29th when free agency starts. Little's November surgery as supposed to have a four to six month rehab, so he should be able to show the organization something when they bring him in for an evaluation.

Frerotte capable? How can you say that after his dismal season last year? You can only blame so much on the poor line play. I mean yeah he's better than having nothing, but that's all he's better than.
    Frerotte is a statue in the pocket, so with our horrible offensive line situation, he was exposed and did not succeed. With improvement along the offensive line and better protection, I think he can adequately serve his role as a back-up. He showed flashes of that last season as well but just wasn't consistent. Again though, there was hardly consistent protection.

One big plus with Frerotte was his ability to play within Linehan's system. That's negated now that Saunders is coming in and installing his philosophies. How well Frerotte can adapt is up in the air, but I don't think it would be wise to just cut him without lining up someone else.

The last thing we want to do is cut a guy like Frerotte and then miss out on Collins, because then you're really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find a guy who could potentially be seeing some time on the field. And when you look at the free agent crop of back-up QBs, it's rather underwhelming. Unless we can get Todd Collins in here, then I'm not sure who you'd prefer on the market over an experienced veteran like Frerotte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast