Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bruce released

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bruce released

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    -The same team that made Bulger a top 5 earner but got 30th ranked production.
    -The same team that paid more for Drew Bennett than guys like Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Antwan Randel El, etc. and got a receiver who ranked:
    118th in receptions
    111th in yards
    150th in yards/reception
    -They paid Randy McMichael $2.5 million last year!
    Without parsing through the stats, the difference being that all those you mentioned happened after the signing. In Bruce's case, we see the production before the signing (or lack of).

Again, I hate it too, but how bad would people beyotch and moan when $5 Million goes to even less production next year?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

Again, I hate it too, but how bad would people beyotch and moan when $5 Million goes to even less production next year?
    I lot fewer than are now. If any. $5 million is overpaying a little for a productive #2 but not when you will still have $13 million in cap space(soon to be more if James Hall is indeed cut). The Rams are going to have roughly $20 million in cap space soon and for what? How many free agent busts do we have to endure? I have no faith in what management is doing or has done and it's wrong that Bruce has to be cut so they can flounder around and screw the team up some more.

I mean, are they really going to offer Faneca something better than $20 million guaranteed and better than $8+ million a year? Briggs? Berrian? Moss? I don't see the wisdom in breaking the bank for any one of those guys and I certainly don't agree with dumping...D.U.M.P.I.N.G. Bruce for any of them with the contract they'll demand...and not live up to.

The other option is that they'll spread the money around in free agency with moderately priced players and add depth. In that case, we're back to overpaying guys like Bennett and McMichael on offense and cutting Bruce. Who, as a so-called old man, outperformed both of them with dog crap throwing him the ball.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Exactly. The best freaking post I've seen all day mokleram. he doesnt cost that much than we say he is.

our front office is after Faneca? thats the biggest mistake i've heard all my life.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well Mok, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they spend that money. Maybe well, maybe not, but there was always going to be a time when Bruce's cap surpassed his value to a point that required either a salary cut or a roster cut. He refused the salary cut (and I don't blame him), so the roster cut was the only other option.

Hopefully, a healthy Bennett will perform better. I don't know.
    Hopefully, Devaney will bring some credibility to the process. I don't know.

But I do know that decisions have to be made that are not always popular, and this is one of them.

Maybe the Rams lose some fans over this. So be it. If the team starts winning again, they'll be back anyway. If the Rams continue to lose, then I'm sure they'll be happy elsewhere jumping on whatever bandwagon they wish. However, there is a reason fans don't make decisions........such as times like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No, Faneca isn't as big of a mistake as these two:

Jamie Duncan
    Drew Bennett

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No, Faneca isn't as big of a mistake as these two:

Jamie Duncan
    Drew Bennett
    Well if Faneca was a probowl starter LAST year. I think he's still good. Look at what hes done for Parker.

Maybe well, maybe not, but there was always going to be a time when Bruce's cap surpassed his value to a point that required either a salary cut or a roster cut.
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. He just signed that contract about a year ago. It was specifically restructured to help the team when he signed it. You're not telling me the front office didn't have the foresight to look a whole year into the future? This isn't some back-loaded rookie contract or a big free agent contract with escalotors kicking in. It's the last year of a contract that Bruce reworked in good faith. That the Rams CAN afford to pay.

This, of course, doesn't even address the fact that we're talking about Isaac freakin' Bruce. This isn't Kevin Curtis or Eddie Kennison or even Flipper Anderson. The jerk-a s s Rams should have made it a priority to treat THIS player with respect and insure that he retired a Ram.

For fans that just consider this a fiscal move, I really wonder what the hell they even watch football for. Bruce is the ultimate example of what any fan or team should strive to populate their roster with. He is what the NFL needs more of. The team won't move forward any faster or be any better off by cutting him. I guarantee it.

Dallas cut Smith. Smith put up 792 for the Cards, Hambrick put up 792 for Dallas.
    SF cut Rice. Rice put up 83/1139/9 for Oakland, Stokes put up 54/585/7.

...I was going to post more examples but it's such a rare thing to have a player play for the same team for so long at such a high level that I couldn't come up with anything else. Bruce is a very special case and the Rams have handled it horribly and just plain wrong.

I think he's still good. Look at what hes done for Parker.
    87.7 yards/game, 2 TD in 15 games, 4.1 ypa Parker?

Jackson put up better ypa(4.2) and 5 TD's with the horrific mess that the Rams had in 2007. This is like Bizarro world or something. Ooh, ooh, look at how well the Steelers and Vikings run the ball with their stud Guards. That's what we need. Let's just ignore the fact that the Steelers and Vikings also have great defenses...nothing else really needs to be said. But, let's add a little more. The Vikings running game is pretty darned good. They have no QB or WR's worth a crap because all of their money is tied up in their line and they didn't even make the playoffs with that great running game and great offense, but let's emulate them. Or the Steelers. The mighty, mighty, gold standard in rushing Steelers that don't even have as potent a rushing game as the Rams are willing to let Faneca go. If THEY don't think he's worth the money, why would the Rams sell the farm to get him?

I really hope everyone else is right because paying Faneca the money he wants, in my opinion is going to be a case of really overspending.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Hold on, Ill break out my violin and start playing 'Cry Me a River' for you. The drama is ridiculous surrounding this INEVITABLE move. Besides...we have a $60million QB! Surely he can get the ball ON TARGET to ANYONE....right?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Hold on, Ill break out my violin and start playing 'Cry Me a River' for you.
    I hope you can play the violin better than you can read. This move was NOT inevitable. The Rams screwed up and the many ways have been posted already.

I'm happy for you that you're indifferent to this move. If Bruce is just a proverbial shrug of the shoulders to you then why do you even follow the Rams? Their collective genius has resulted in diminished attendance, stupid free agent signings, year after year after year of bad drafts, and now the CUTTING of a team legend. In what amounts to 1.6% of the 2008 salary cap.

You, my friend, are everything that's wrong with the Rams. Your attitude is exactly what the Rams, I hope, will eventually get rid of.

guys, feelings are running high, understandably but this is not the place to be name calling.
    Everyone has their own opinion on this, that's why they call it a forum. But that does not mean you can resort to name calling. I have let it go to this point but now NO MORE.

Thanks

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Without parsing through the stats, the difference being that all those you mentioned happened after the signing. In Bruce's case, we see the production before the signing (or lack of).

Considering how I don't expect great things out of this team next season regardless of what they do in a thin free agent market, I don't care what they pay Bruce just as long as he stays a Ram.

So not much on the complaining.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Take the name out of it.

We're talking about paying $5 Mil for a 35-year-old who, last year, was.....

46th in catches
    45th in yards
    38th in yards / rec.
    51st-T in TDs

Who would pay $5 Mil for that production? That is average #2 receiver production for a pretty steep price tag.

In 2007, his rec. per game was the 2nd lowest number since his rookie year. His yards per game was the 2nd lowest number since his rookie year as well. His yards per catch was the lowest number since his rookie year.

Last year there were 17 different #2 receivers that outperformed Bruce, and 3 different #3 receivers that outperformed Bruce.

Guys, I love Ike as much as anybody, but we just can't pay premium cap money for an average #2 receiver, OR a top tier #3 receiver.
    Taking his name out is all well and good but again people complain that we have little to no leadership, and we need good character guys so you are also paying some for those intangibles. I just don't think you cut the face of the Rams because of 2 mil.

Last year was such a write off for any offensive production, and I don't believe that Bruce dropped off that much because of his skill level, it was because the offense was a mess. Stick his numbers in there from two years ago and then it looks more realistic.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Considering how I don't expect great things out of this team next season regardless of what they do in a thin free agent market, I don't care what they pay Bruce just as long as he stays a Ram.

So not much on the complaining.
    Never say never....remember what happened from the 98' season to the 99' season.

Last year was such a write off for any offensive production, and I don't believe that Bruce dropped off that much because of his skill level, it was because the offense was a mess. Stick his numbers in there from two years ago and then it looks more realistic.
    EXACTLY. In '06, Bruce was 12th in the league in yards...as a #2! He put up better numbers than most of the #1's in the league. His numbers were very close to what the king of the #2's, Reggie Wayne, was putting up. He's still got the ability and if the Rams could pass protect for more than one second, he might be able to run some of the routes that he has such an advantage at. Maybe a strong armed QB who can get him the ball on something other than a deep-in cut?

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. -03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. -03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  4. -03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. -03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  6. -03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  7. -03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
  8. -03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  9. -03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  10. -03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
  11. -03-02-2008, 07:29 AM