throwback week

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce released

moklerman Guest

Re: Bruce released

I vote that anyone who tries to say Bruce is being greedy should be forced to wear a neon pink t-shirt with Georgia's picture on the front and back of it.

Bruce wasn't asking for more money. The Rams wanted him to take another paycut so they could go out and sign more Drew Bennett's. Good for Bruce. As much as I want to see him retire a Ram, I say good for him and he did the right thing. Screw the FO. Is anyone at the top taking a paycut for the crappy teams and crappy records and no playoffs in how many years now? Screw them.

Mooselini Guest

I think the possibility is always open, Linehan said. The more and more these things get and you get up in years and these deals get almost to the point where you dont want to assume anything is going to be done at that point so its hard to say whatwe have no idea what is going to happen in free agency in the next couple of days. Whether that is retaining a player or signing a new player, I think the possibility is always open, especially with Isaac.

Taken from St Louis Rams.com

Who knows...we may be able to resign him. If they are smart, reconstruct Bennett's contract and resign Bruce with the money we save from Bennett's reconstruction.

denverram is offline Registered User

This just completely sucks. There is no upside to this. He is better than Drew Bennet will ever be. should have cut Drew

Keenum is offline Registered User

I know Saunders was talking about using HOLT AND BRUCE more downfield in his system...

Maybe he didn't expect the cut, or maybe the Rams know something about this we don't?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    THe bottom line is that we just cut isaac bruce over 2 million dollars. That is less than 2% of the cap. That is insanity after everything he has done for the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I have to agree with GC, 2 million more isn't that much for what Bruce has done for us. If he couldn't still play I would maybe understand it, but he can still play. This years free agent crop isn't that great anyways so if we are going to throw money out the window we should be giving it to Bruce instead. There may be another *wink wink* deal where Bruce will re-sign with us like he did 2 years ago so I will wait to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    That's what I'm hoping for.
    I won't start to get mad until I find out the Rams will not try to sign him back.
    Right, I just remember how upset I got and how the whole board exploded 2 years ago and then it all worked out and Bruce was back. So even though this time I'm a little less optomistic, until I see it announced that Bruce has signed with another team I will try and stay calm.

With that said, I still think the Rams should have paid Bruce what we owed him and found other ways to create more cap room. If Bruce chooses to re-sign with us to a more cap friendly contract then god bless him. If he doesn't, I don't blame him one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RedArcher7 Guest

Why should we hate Drew? He's not running his mouth, he didn't really do anything wrong last year. He came here to be part of a winning team, when he signed he said he didn't want to go to a place that was about him instead of about a team. There are other people we should have gotten rid of, Looker could have gone don't give say that Wilkins is fussy about his holder, he's a kicker we can get a new one. We could have even gotten rid of Wilkins. The Rams made Drew an offer so he took his, is that his fault?

Don't get me wrong I'm still pissed at the FO for backstabbing Ike, get rid of Klopfenstienwheningwalmharrisonandersonbrownmillersnyder, Bryd half of the tight ends, we'll still have 30 or so. Corey Chavous, god why is he still here.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Right, I just remember how upset I got and how the whole board exploded 2 years ago and then it all worked out and Bruce was back. So even though this time I'm a little less optomistic, until I see it announced that Bruce has signed with another team I will try and stay calm.

With that said, I still think the Rams should have paid Bruce what we owed him and found other ways to create more cap room. If Bruce chooses to re-sign with us to a more cap friendly contract then god bless him. If he doesn't, I don't blame him one bit.
    I agree, there is a chance we could get him back. THis is pointless, over 2 million, we could have hmmm restructured Chavous, Pisa, James Hall (who I hear is getting cut though) and Looker. Please oh please get Bruce back. It's not like we're going after Randy MOss, and what other alternatives do we have to the man 3rd on the all time receiving yards list, Isaac Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce?!

Edit: If in fact he wasn't resigned, I would be willing to bet we would spend more money on a player less talented. We won't be giving out Moss/Boldin money anyhow (Moss is getting higher in age anyway), and I can't imagine us going after a great WR, considering our first two draft rounds will probably be on DL and OL.
    Last edited by prof22693; -02-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Big-Dave314 Guest

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo U *******s Say It Aint So

Shadesofgrey Guest

Re: Bruce released per Bernie

What a retarded thing to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Definately. Pisa needs reconstructing, Hall is getting cut.

It's unfortunate that Bruce wouldnt reconstruct...how greedy.

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    I agree, there is a chance we could get him back. THis is pointless, over 2 million, we could have hmmm restructured Chavous, Pisa, James Hall (who I hear is getting cut though) and Looker. Please oh please get Bruce back. It's not like we're going after Randy MOss, and what other alternatives do we have to the man 3rd on the all time receiving yards list, Isaac Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce?!
    We could easily reconstruct several players' contracts...

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Definately. Pisa needs reconstructing, Hall is getting cut.

It's unfortunate that Bruce wouldnt reconstruct...how greedy.
    Who do u have in mind if we have to replace him and he isn't resigned? I doubt Bruce would be greedy over the contract. That's absurd. If we were still going to reconstruct other guys, we shouldn't have cut him in the first place and dealt with guys like Chavous first.

Another Edit: There is still a good chance of getting him back though, and I agree with Keenum and others in that he hasn't exactly signed with another team yet, so we should wait and see how the situation turns out.

Yet another Edit: can someone copy and paste the article from the rams website regarding bruce? for whatever reason I can't open up those little flash links.
    Last edited by prof22693; -02-28-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Because getting players to agree to restructure their contracts is always easy, right? Let's be a bit more realistic.

It's an incredibly sad day for Rams fans to see Bruce cut, but for years I've been saying that people need to understand football is not about loyalty anymore. It's about business. For fans, this is hard to understand and accept, because the nature of being a fan is about loyalty and passion for the team.

But this kind of stuff happens all over the league; the Rams aren't the only guilty party nor will they be the last. It sucks and it's going to be incredibly frustrating watching Bruce line up for another team, but this is the nature of the league now. A $2 million difference doesn't sound like a whole lot when compared to the cap total, but $5.3 million is quite a bit of money for a receiver of Bruce's age. I would have loved to see them work something out, but with a lot of his cap cost coming from the $3 million in salary, it would be more challenging to find a way to reduce his cost in 2008 while paying him the same amount.

Another tidbit from Bernie on the Bruce issue..

Let me put it this way: Al Saunders and Billy Devaney didn't exactly step up and make the case that they had to have Isaac for 2008.

--B
    I just found that interesting for everyone - including myself - who thought that the addition of Saunders would give Bruce an advocate in the organization. Doesn't sound like Saunders made a big push to keep him.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Milan Guest

The FO doesn't realize how big a part of this team Isaac really is. I can't wait to see our sub 6-10 season with Drew Bennett as our #2. This could also cause Holt not to re-sign.

AlphaRam Guest

Despite our love of the Rams, always remember that the business of football is business. The legal name of the company is the St Louis Rams Football Company.

Let's all hope that the Rams offer Bruce another contract like they did last time.

Ramer Guest

Ike will be extremly missed. Very sad! Hearing that really hurt. What will hurt even worse is if he signs with another NFC West team or the Partiots.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. -03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. -03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  4. -03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. -03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  6. -03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  7. -03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
  8. -03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  9. -03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  10. -03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
  11. -03-02-2008, 07:29 AM