Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bruce released

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce released

An era has officially ended in St. Louis. Best regards go out to Ike, just don't go and play for the Niners, that would seriously sting.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Not a great day, but then not a catastrophe either.

The easy way to salvage this situation is to get a new contract done as soon as possible that better reflects his real value to the team relative to his cap value. Its always painful to go through these things, especially when a player has spent 14 years in the same uniform, but I'm still hopeful that something will get done. We aren't privy to all of the deaings involved in this and I have no doubt that things are happening behind the scenes to try and get a favourable resolution.

Personally, I'm very surprised that Little will be back and Bruce gone. I would have gone about it differently, but then I'm not Zygmunt and highly unlikely to be in a position to make a decision like that so what do I know. What I feel, as opposed to know, is that Isaac is likely to contribute more in the coming season than Little will. For that reason I would have liked to have seen him back.

I don't think Isaac is being greedy, I think there is such a thing as market value and he could be trying to find where that is before he decides to hang up his cleats. All power to him and he'll do so with my very best wishes, even should he go to the whiners (Unlikely, I'd say :x), but we should all bear in mind that if we want to turn this thing around then unpalatable choices have to be made.

Whether some of the people who are making them should be making them is another matter.

(Thankyou Mr Bruce, if you're not back in our colours next season, I'd just like to say that I've fully appreciated your efforts on behalf of the Rams, and that you have remained a credit to your profession throughout your career.)

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Despite our love of the Rams, always remember that the business of football is business. The legal name of the company is the St Louis Rams Football Company.

Let's all hope that the Rams offer Bruce another contract like they did last time.
    We're all hoping man. The last thing we want is him to sign to another NFC West team...or the Patriots as posted above.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I won't be here next year to see a Rams Home game but I expect all of you to have giant signs that read:

BOO LOSEHAN
    YEAH BRUCE!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Another Bernie tidbit...

You're talking about how ideal Ike would be in the Al Saunders offense...

Well, then why doesn't Al Saunders want him?

Because of Saunders wanted No. 80 here, he'd be here.

--B
    Very interesting to say the least.

It's time for the Rams to get younger and faster at the position. Don't be surprised to see them look hard at a receiver at the top of the second round, where there should be a couple of quality names to choose from. This draft class does not have a lot of top receivers in terms of guys who will go in the top 10-15, but towards the bottom of round 1 and the top of round 2, names should start coming off the board.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce released per Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Its pure speculation as to whether we lowballed him or not. No way to know in either direction. That is of course on everyones minds, what was the final bid ask.
    True. What made me think so though is the fact that the FO was very (some would say 'too') generous with Little's contract. That makes it hard for me to imagine they would lowball Bruce - if they did they'd be insane. Bruce is much much more popular than Little, he is literally the face of the franchise and arguably even more productive as well lately.

As you I would love to know what the difference between what they offered and what he wanted was. It can't be that much and I cannot imagine that it would be an amount that we would have trouble finding.

Edit: It appears to be over 2 million. Frag this. What a bonehead move - resign #80 NOW! I don't even know how to feel other than angry.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    My point is that the salary and bonus numbers werent big enough to make that big a difference. Bruce has sacrificed plenty over the years, he is entitled to get close to all if not all of what he signed up for.

Personally, i think part of this is that bruce believes that he can still play at the #2 spot and doesnt like what he sees in terms of direction where the team is going. He has certain personal goals and while he doesnt act like a jerk about it, he is entitled to put himself in the best situation to achieve those goals. Bruce has made plenty of money. He knows he can still play and wants a chance to prove it.

Why should bruce take it in the shorts every time his contract is on the line just because he has been with the rams so long? Not fair. For once in a ablue moon, the Rams could take it in the shorts and pay some extra money to thank a guy who has done a TON for the organization.

Again, i think chip rosenbloom should have stepped up and chimed in on this and showed some actual leadership.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Very good point about Chip. If that was me there's no way in hell the first move of my franchise is to cut its most tenured and popular player because of a pittance of a difference in dollars.

Not a good start for the new owner, he looks like a fool right now.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -02-28-2008 at 10:08 PM.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

why can't you see it.

we need to get younger, but without bruce, who else will we chant BRUUUUCCCCEEE For? we Could Go HOOOLLTTT. I say we will resign IKE Like last Time. just to get rid of that Roster Bonus. It will Happen... we will also sign Faneca and Stallworth and Justin smith. Just Sayin

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I guess my name BRUCE4LIFE is truly for real now... it is a sad day to see bruce go, in fact im almost in tears right now to tell you guys the truth. But as Nick has pointed out, this is a business and we could use the money on other pressing needs i suppose

Re: Bruce released per Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    As you I would love to know what the difference between what they offered and what he wanted was. It can't be that much and I cannot imagine that it would be an amount that we would have trouble finding.
    From the Post-Dispatch...

With a $2 million roster bonus due on Friday, Bruce apparently declined to accept a pay cut proposed by the club, leading to his release. Bruce, 35, was due $5 million overall — $3 million in the form of base salary for ’08, plus the $2 million roster bonus.

The team’s final offer to Bruce apparently was $3 million — in other words, the base salary minus the roster bonus.
    So it's a pay cut of 40%. Bruce didn't want to take a pay cut, and my interpretation of how Bernie phrased it - "Made an offer to him for 2008" - leads me to believe the team may not have wanted additional years tacked on to spread out the cap charge.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Can someone copy and paste the article from the Rams' official site regarding Bruce? I can't seem to open it and would love to read it.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Just read it on KFFL.com.

Rams | Team releases Bruce
    Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:32:27 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams cut WR Isaac Bruce Thursday, Feb. 28.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Is there any difference with the post-dispatch article and the st.louisrams . com article? i just want to read the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    Can someone copy and paste the article from the Rams' official site regarding Bruce? I can't seem to open it and would love to read it.
    Bruce Released
    Thursday, February 28, 2008
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

After a long and difficult internal discussion, the Rams released receiver Isaac Bruce late Thursday afternoon.

The Rams released Bruce in lieu of paying him a $2 million roster bonus that would have increased his salary cap number for 2008 from $3 million to $5 million. That decision came on the heels of extended negotiations intended to keep him in St. Louis at least through the 2008 season.

“(President of Football Operations) Jay (Zygmunt) had spent the last couple of weeks in negotiations with Isaac’s agent to work something out to keep him here,” coach Scott Linehan said. “But apparently it didn’t work out.”

The Rams made an offer to Bruce on Thursday afternoon (believed to be worth around $3 million) in hopes of keeping him in St. Louis, an offer Bruce rejected. In turn, the team opted to terminate his contract.

Releasing Bruce gives the Rams still more salary cap space after the release of quarterback Gus Frerotte on Thursday morning and the re-structuring of end Leonard Little’s contract on Wednesday evening.

Although the newfound salary cap flexibility could come in handy as the team hits the free agent market Friday, it doesn’t make a decision like this any easier.

“It’s a tough choice for the franchise,” Linehan said. “It’s like anything else. We make decisions as a franchise on the business side and that’s the part that makes it the most difficult. It’s not about whether you want to keep players or you have a certain amount of indebtedness to players and what they have done for your team. I think the hard part is when you start dealing with the economic side and trying to make things all work and fit. These contracts are designed a certain way. I found that out when I first got here. There was a re-done contract with him then and in fact we had to release him two years ago. The new contract was set up somewhat the same way that there would be another day like this two years down the road and today was the day.”

The salary cap has been set at $116 million and the activity of the past two days has given the Rams more than $17 million in cap room heading into free agency.

Bruce spent 14 seasons in St. Louis where he became one of the most productive receivers in league history.

Bruce has 942 catches with 14,109 and 84 touchdowns for his career. Those numbers rank him sixth in catches, third in yards and tied for 13th in touchdown receptions in league history.

Along the way, Bruce caught a game winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XXXIV and became one of the most beloved athletes in St. Louis sports history.

All of those accomplishments combined with Bruce’s off the field work and leadership made the choice to part ways even more difficult.

But Bruce will be 36 on Nov. 10 and the Rams are in search of a receiver with the speed to stretch the field and get more yards after the catch.

“It’s pretty much an economic decision,” Linehan said. “You get to the point where you have players and you get to the point where we are and we are in a position where we have to make a lot of adjustments. We made a lot of adjustments coaching staff wise, we made a big adjustment in our personnel department in adding Billy Devaney. Once that is all said and done then you turn toward the players and it always starts with the players that are up there in years. This is a business and that’s why they have the salary cap. Unfortunately it puts you in these situations where you have to make tough decisions about veterans that you think very highly of. To me he is what the Rams are all about. So it makes it really hard.”

As for the possibility of bringing Bruce back for another contract like they did in 2006, Linehan and Co. are leaving the door open for anything that might come up.

“I think the possibility is always open,” Linehan said. “The more and more these things get and you get up in years and these deals get almost to the point where you don’t want to assume anything is going to be done at that point so it’s hard to say what…we have no idea what is going to happen in free agency in the next couple of days. Whether that is retaining a player or signing a new player, I think the possibility is always open, especially with Isaac.”

Bruce is in Houston and could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: why can't you see it.

I agree. He just cost a little bit too much. I say we renegotiate some contracts, resign bruce, build from the bottom up, sign a few FA's. thats it.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's an incredibly sad day for Rams fans to see Bruce cut, but for years I've been saying that people need to understand football is not about loyalty anymore. It's about business. For fans, this is hard to understand and accept, because the nature of being a fan is about loyalty and passion for the team.

But this kind of stuff happens all over the league; the Rams aren't the only guilty party nor will they be the last. It sucks and it's going to be incredibly frustrating watching Bruce line up for another team, but this is the nature of the league now. A $2 million difference doesn't sound like a whole lot when compared to the cap total, but $5.3 million is quite a bit of money for a receiver of Bruce's age. I would have loved to see them work something out, but with a lot of his cap cost coming from the $3 million in salary, it would be more challenging to find a way to reduce his cost in 2008 while paying him the same amount.
    For me I understand it's a business, and sure it does happen at times to other players. There are times where it doesn't happen also though. So as of now the front office is to blame (unless they re-do a deal). They could see this coming.

You said "5.3 mil is a lot for his age" where I look at it differently. I don't see his age because he is still performing at a high level. If you had said 5.3 mil is high for his skill level then ok, but you can't really say that because he can still play. So we pay 5.3 mil for approx 70 balls approx 1000 yards and approx 5-7 TDs. Now include that Bruce is Mr Ram, and has done everything asked of him, and he can mentor younger guys and 5.3 mil becomes a bargain.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. -03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. -03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  4. -03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. -03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  6. -03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  7. -03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
  8. -03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  9. -03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  10. -03-02-2008, 07:35 AM