Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bruce released

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bruce released

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    You said "5.3 mil is a lot for his age" where I look at it differently. I don't see his age because he is still performing at a high level.
    When I talk about age, I factor in how that age affects the rest of his game and what he's able to do on the field. He's certainly not going to get faster with age or more explosive, and if Al Saunders values speed in his offensive scheme, then Bruce becomes even less valuable to him. You also have to consider that Bruce really hasn't been much of a scoring threat over the last couple of years - 10 touchdowns in the last three seasons. I think when you look at the whole picture, $5.3 million is hardly ideal. When you're a 3-13 team, these are the kinds of tough decisions you have to make. In the past couple days, the Rams have turned $7 million in cap space to $19 million in cap space. IMO I think that helps our chances at pursuing guys that can really address the weak points of our team.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Let's take the emotion out of this and answer a question.

1) What will Bruce be worth on the open market?

2) Will it be more than the 3 Million the Rams offered?

3) If 3 Mil is what the market will bring, then why would Bruce not resign with the Rams?
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Some Bernie stuff on Bruce

If Al Saunders really wanted him, Isaac would be here.

--B
    I'd have to think the Rams can replace 55 passes for 733 yards.

But that's just me.

--B
    If Al Saunders wanted him, really wanted him, Bruce would be here.

I'll rely on Al Saunders to select the parts for the Al Saunders offense.

--B
    Thanks for the conversation...

I gotta go for now....

All hail No. 80...

--B

Well, though it's a nice thought, and as nice as it would be, the Rams can't go back and undo the Bennett contract.

Bennett, however, had better perform at a high level in 2008.

He won't be the slot guy in '08. No more excuses.

He's on the spot.
    He has much to prove.
    I think he can play much better....

Getting out of the slot will help.

--B

--B
    They are going to need a CB.

Never know if Fakhir Brown will have to take another "vacation."

Lean market, but SD's Drayton Florence is the top of the class... will be coveted by many.

--B
    Again, let me try to break it down:

Emotion: Sad day. Love Bruce. My favorite Ram of all time. I offer him the highest praise and tribute for all that he did.

Reality: pro sports are a business. He's 36 in Nov. He's lost speed. They need to get younger and faster at the position. They need to spend a lot of money to improve the O-line, to get a CB, and other areas that need mucho help. Something's gotta give. Just the way it is. CANNOT HAVE IT ALL.

So far, they have saved $9 million in cap relief for next season. If James Hall goes, that's $12.5 million.

--B

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bruce Released
    Thursday, February 28, 2008

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

After a long and difficult internal discussion, the Rams released receiver Isaac Bruce late Thursday afternoon.

The Rams released Bruce in lieu of paying him a $2 million roster bonus that would have increased his salary cap number for 2008 from $3 million to $5 million. That decision came on the heels of extended negotiations intended to keep him in St. Louis at least through the 2008 season.

“(President of Football Operations) Jay (Zygmunt) had spent the last couple of weeks in negotiations with Isaac’s agent to work something out to keep him here,” coach Scott Linehan said. “But apparently it didn’t work out.”

The Rams made an offer to Bruce on Thursday afternoon (believed to be worth around $3 million) in hopes of keeping him in St. Louis, an offer Bruce rejected. In turn, the team opted to terminate his contract.

Releasing Bruce gives the Rams still more salary cap space after the release of quarterback Gus Frerotte on Thursday morning and the re-structuring of end Leonard Little’s contract on Wednesday evening.

Although the newfound salary cap flexibility could come in handy as the team hits the free agent market Friday, it doesn’t make a decision like this any easier.

“It’s a tough choice for the franchise,” Linehan said. “It’s like anything else. We make decisions as a franchise on the business side and that’s the part that makes it the most difficult. It’s not about whether you want to keep players or you have a certain amount of indebtedness to players and what they have done for your team. I think the hard part is when you start dealing with the economic side and trying to make things all work and fit. These contracts are designed a certain way. I found that out when I first got here. There was a re-done contract with him then and in fact we had to release him two years ago. The new contract was set up somewhat the same way that there would be another day like this two years down the road and today was the day.”

The salary cap has been set at $116 million and the activity of the past two days has given the Rams more than $17 million in cap room heading into free agency.

Bruce spent 14 seasons in St. Louis where he became one of the most productive receivers in league history.

Bruce has 942 catches with 14,109 and 84 touchdowns for his career. Those numbers rank him sixth in catches, third in yards and tied for 13th in touchdown receptions in league history.

Along the way, Bruce caught a game winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XXXIV and became one of the most beloved athletes in St. Louis sports history.

All of those accomplishments combined with Bruce’s off the field work and leadership made the choice to part ways even more difficult.

But Bruce will be 36 on Nov. 10 and the Rams are in search of a receiver with the speed to stretch the field and get more yards after the catch.

“It’s pretty much an economic decision,” Linehan said. “You get to the point where you have players and you get to the point where we are and we are in a position where we have to make a lot of adjustments. We made a lot of adjustments coaching staff wise, we made a big adjustment in our personnel department in adding Billy Devaney. Once that is all said and done then you turn toward the players and it always starts with the players that are up there in years. This is a business and that’s why they have the salary cap. Unfortunately it puts you in these situations where you have to make tough decisions about veterans that you think very highly of. To me he is what the Rams are all about. So it makes it really hard.”

As for the possibility of bringing Bruce back for another contract like they did in 2006, Linehan and Co. are leaving the door open for anything that might come up.

“I think the possibility is always open,” Linehan said. “The more and more these things get and you get up in years and these deals get almost to the point where you don’t want to assume anything is going to be done at that point so it’s hard to say what…we have no idea what is going to happen in free agency in the next couple of days. Whether that is retaining a player or signing a new player, I think the possibility is always open, especially with Isaac.”

Bruce is in Houston and could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

As much as I hate to say it, it is a business. Just what he's done to this organization is such a great achievement. What I want to see is his number retired. That is something I would love to see. Marshall was my fav player and Bruce is second. We retired Faulk and I wanted to see Bruce retired.

But to look at it, we can invest in a new OL, DL, CB, WR.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I wonder if Bruce sees he won't get more anywhere else, if he'll take the Rams offer?
    It'll be tough, the Forty-Niners have probably already called him.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When I talk about age, I factor in how that age affects the rest of his game and what he's able to do on the field. He's certainly not going to get faster with age or more explosive, and if Al Saunders values speed in his offensive scheme, then Bruce becomes even less valuable to him. You also have to consider that Bruce really hasn't been much of a scoring threat over the last couple of years - 10 touchdowns in the last three seasons. I think when you look at the whole picture, $5.3 million is hardly ideal. When you're a 3-13 team, these are the kinds of tough decisions you have to make. In the past couple days, the Rams have turned $7 million in cap space to $19 million in cap space. IMO I think that helps our chances at pursuing guys that can really address the weak points of our team.
    Couldnt dis-agree more. If Saunders valued speed in his offenses they would have had better wr's in Kansas City, Parker and Kennison are hardly great or even above average wr's. The worst part of this is Bruce knows this offense Bennett doesnt. We could have still brought in another young burner to learn from Bruce for the next two years. I dont think it makes business sense at all and it really doesnt make football sense. So Bruce has 10 td's in the last 3 years but he has played in 41 games with 165 catches and amassed 2356 yards over those 3 years. Bennett however has played in 43 games over the last 3 years with 10 td's, 137 catches and for 1850 yds. So more games less production from Bennett. So obviously it doesnt make football sense. Bruce can still contribute. I dont see why this was a decision that needed to be made because now we need a wr that can be as good or better than Bruce and who's that gonna be Bennett, or a rookie? We do need to get younger but bringing a wr along slowly is not such a bad idea. Your telling me there is no one on this team that could have re-structured to help the team sign Bruce like Bruce did 2 years ago? It's a sad day in Rams land because this was an un-necessary decision for 2 million dollars. We are already paying his less productive replacement that much and whoever we bring in will not produce the way he could have because they wont have the knowledge of the offense he does. Pathetic business and football decision by the Rams and there is NO EXCUSE. We love you Bruuuuuuuuce and thank you for all the memories you were mistreated and you deserve better we will never forget you.
    Just Fix It

RealRam is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Bruce released

Right now, Thursday evening ... black Thursday in Rams History ... the only thought I can muster in order to balance my emotions about seeing Bruce released by the team, my team, is to HOPE he will somehow be resigned and back as a Ram for 2008.

And if I have to 'dream on', I most certainly will. :r

I am in ire as I type this post. One of the lowest points in my Ramfanian life.

...Worse than the playoff loss in 1969. -- GC
    :bash: And that one hurt!
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-29-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Format

Keenum is offline Registered User

I know the 9ers and Pats are supposedly the forerunners...
    oh gosh, he could finish our his career with our hated rival, or those cheaters that cheated us out of a SB...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No he isn't going to get faster, but his talent and experience and the fact that we aren't very deep at WR makes him very valuable. Last year was a write off in terms of scoring and two years ago Holt and Jackson were the TD makers, so I don't expect him to come out and put up big TD numbers like he used to, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't have to explain to you what having Bruce on the field means to the offense, and what having him as a leader means to the team.

So yes we now have 19 mil which would have been 14 mil with Bruce still here, but I'm not sure how much confidence I have in us picking the right players. I would like to see Jackson signed long term. I just think we could have gone a different way to free up some money, James Hall and Chavous come to mind.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

IsaacBruceFan80 is offline Registered User

Well gang...I pretty much avoided the sports page all day because I had an eerie feeling that when I looked I would be reading that Ike was gone. It irks me that the Rams found $$$ for Little who is hurt more than healthy lately and is despised by many in the community for past actions,yet they let the face of the franchise and argueably one of the greatest players in team history as well as a highly respectd community leader walk away over 2 million bucks. I guess Ike isn't a FOS'L....SHAME ON YOU RAMS. UNFORGIVABLE!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacBruceFan80 View Post
    Well gang...I pretty much avoided the sports page all day because I had an eerie feeling that when I looked I would be reading that Ike was gone. It irks me that the Rams found $$$ for Little who is hurt more than healthy lately and is despised by many in the community for past actions,yet they let the face of the franchise and argueably one of the greatest players in team history as well as a highly respectd community leader walk away over 2 million bucks. I guess Ike isn't a FOS'L....SHAME ON YOU RAMS. UNFORGIVABLE!
    Definately a sad day for Rams nation. It's terrible that they cut him for 2 million dollars. I still think that he can be a great use on the field, but a leader and a captain for the squad. he will be missed. :'(

Does anyone here, Dez & Mods, anyone else ... have a connection with the STL Post-Dispatch, KFFL, St. Louis Rams Front Office, KLOU - Steve Savard, Coach Linehan and/or Saunders, ESPN, NFLN, et cetera, to...

Voice the wrath of most of us fans on the releasing of
    WR Issac Bruce more loudly!

:bash:

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I hope we resign Bruce soon. If not, I am following him wherever he ends up. I know that is not going to mean anything to the Rams, but if they let him leave over a couple million dollars then they are a worthless organization anyway. I will always love the Rams, but this show of disrespect is too much to look past

Refer post No. 88: How about Jim Thomas? Nick Wagoner? Torry Holt?

Don't compromise their privacy or use of public access privilege from fans. Just let them know we want Isaac Bruce back!

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. -03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. -03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  4. -03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. -03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  6. -03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  7. -03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
  8. -03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  9. -03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  10. -03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
  11. -03-02-2008, 07:29 AM