Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bruce released

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce released

Thanks for the years Bruce, just make a clean break and move on. It's just business.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What a shame. I could be optimistic and hope they re-sign him but the signals are telling me they won't. At least last time they said they planned on cutting and re-signing him. Not a peep about that this time around.

I will never respect and admire a player as much as I do Reverend Ike and I wish him the best wherever he goes. Good luck on reaching that 1,000 catch plateau #80 - wish you could've done it in horns.

Long live Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce!

:l

-jake-

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    No he isn't going to get faster, but his talent and experience and the fact that we aren't very deep at WR makes him very valuable.
    I don't have to explain to you what having Bruce on the field means to the offense, and what having him as a leader means to the team.
    Which is why the team wanted him back, just at a smaller price tag.

I just think we could have gone a different way to free up some money, James Hall and Chavous come to mind.
    Maybe, maybe not. There's still a chance Hall gets cut even with our significant need for a pass rush. On the flip side, I remember Torry Holt was upset with how the Bruce situation was handled two years ago. I wonder if he went to the front office and offered to take a paycut or rework his deal so Bruce can stay. It's easy to say the Rams could have found that money elsewhere, but the other party at the table has to be willing to redo their deal as well.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I would really like to hear how Holt feels about this. He's a good guy, but I believe he will speak his mind when he wants to.
    I think we'll hear from him soon.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    I hope we resign Bruce soon. If not, I am following him wherever he ends up. I know that is not going to mean anything to the Rams, but if they let him leave over a couple million dollars then they are a worthless organization anyway. I will always love the Rams, but this show of disrespect is too much to look past
    This is why I try to stay away from following one player too closely. It hurts when they are cut and they start playing for another team. The NFL is not made to please the fans. Their goal is to win games and player loyalty often gets lost in the shuffle.

I hope they resign him, but he may be going out of pride now and some other team will probably pay him more. Don't leave us Bruce=GOAT. :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. There's still a chance Hall gets cut even with our significant need for a pass rush. On the flip side, I remember Torry Holt was upset with how the Bruce situation was handled two years ago. I wonder if he went to the front office and offered to take a paycut or rework his deal so Bruce can stay. It's easy to say the Rams could have found that money elsewhere, but the other party at the table has to be willing to redo their deal as well.
    Why should Bruce have to redo anything? Bruce already did his duty by redoing his deal 2 years ago. He has (now had) 1 year left on the contract which would pay 3 mil in salary and 2 mil in a bonus correct? So pay the man.

The more I think about it I don't see it as an unreasonable number. Seeing how we already freed up cap room with Little and cutting Gus etc and I'm hoping Chavous is on the chopping block real soon, I just don't think we are talking about an unresonable number to keep Bruce for the length of his contract. If he couldn't play anymore it's different, but we aren't deep at WR and now we are cutting one of the best ever for what would have been 2 mil extra? I don't buy it.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Why should Bruce have to redo anything? Bruce already did his duty by redoing his deal 2 years ago. He has (now had) 1 year left on the contract which would pay 3 mil in salary and 2 mil in a bonus correct? So pay the man.
    My comment wasn't about Bruce coming to the table, but in reference to finding other ways to free up the money to keep Bruce. Those other guys have to be willing to come to the table as well. If Torry Holt comes out and complains about Bruce being released, the first question I'd ask him is whether or not he offered to redo his deal to ensure that Bruce could stay.

I'm hoping Chavous is on the chopping block real soon
    Won't happen. We only have Todd Johnson behind him, and this is a weak crop of FA safeties and draft prospects.

If he couldn't play anymore it's different, but we aren't deep at WR and now we are cutting one of the best ever for what would have been 2 mil extra? I don't buy it.
    $2 million can go a long way in fixing a 3-13 team. You could be talking about two more players at the veteran minimum right there. Meanwhile, we already have two guys on the roster (Holt, Bennett) making starter money. Neither of them are going anywhere, so Bruce is the odd man out.

I agree, it sucks. I wanted to see him stay - maybe they can still get something done. If I had to pick between Bruce or Bennett, I'd take Bruce without a second thought. But Bennett's contract prevents that from being a choice we can make, and the team obviously didn't feel $5 million was something they could pay for Isaac. The fact that Saunders didn't step up to plead for Bruce to stay gives some possible indication about what they think Bruce can still bring to this offense and whether or not he was worth that amount.

moklerman is offline Registered User

What it boils down to is the Rams are willing to pay Drew Bennett $5 million for half the production Isaac Bruce put up in 12 games of a horrible season. The front office/Linehan are more loyal to their own idiotic choices than to a guy who's put up with the crappiest owners & management in the league for 14 years. No good reason he should be cut. $2 million isn't going to save or rebuild the Rams next year--as evidenced by the money that Bruce gave them last year that management turned into a 3-13 record.

Do any of you question why I hate the Rams front office and refuse to root for them until all remnants of Georgia's blonde plague are burned from Rams Park? May they reclaim their rightful place as the worst team in football. Anyone else remember when any FA worth half a crap wouldn't even visit the Rams? Welcome back.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I actually teared up when I heard the news on the radio driving to work. I knew this was probably going to happen (as I stated elsewhere in the forums), but it didn't lessen the pain of losing the last of the Los Angeles Rams.
    :\

You are right Nick, those on the team complaining about the release of Bruce could of stepped up to prevent it from happening. Words are hollow without the actions to support them. The team had no choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My comment wasn't about Bruce coming to the table, but in reference to finding other ways to free up the money to keep Bruce. Those other guys have to be willing to come to the table as well. If Torry Holt comes out and complains about Bruce being released, the first question I'd ask him is whether or not he offered to redo his deal to ensure that Bruce could stay.
    Right, I misread you. I find it hard to believe that Torry, Marc and maybe some others wouldn't come to the table to free up 2 mil. We may never know.

Won't happen. We only have Todd Johnson behind him, and this is a weak crop of FA safeties and draft prospects.
    Well that's a shame because imo Chavous is done.

$2 million can go a long way in fixing a 3-13 team. You could be talking about two more players at the veteran minimum right there. Meanwhile, we already have two guys on the roster (Holt, Bennett) making starter money. Neither of them are going anywhere, so Bruce is the odd man out.
    We can agree to disagree because this particular 2 mil is worth more than whomever we will get with it. Like I've said before, if we are going to throw money out the window we might as well give it to Bruce. I don't have a lot of faith in the Rams making this money work for us.

I agree, it sucks. I wanted to see him stay - maybe they can still get something done. If I had to pick between Bruce or Bennett, I'd take Bruce without a second thought. But Bennett's contract prevents that from being a choice we can make, and the team obviously didn't feel $5 million was something they could pay for Isaac. The fact that Saunders didn't step up to plead for Bruce to stay gives some possible indication about what they think Bruce can still bring to this offense and whether or not he was worth that amount.
    I was prepared for this, but I'm still bothered and will be upset if Isaac signs elsewhere. I will deal with it and move on but I think it's a shame that 2 million dollars is the difference between keeping him here for at least one more year.

Maybe Bruce feels a little disrespected, if I'm him I'm thinking you clowns can't just fulfill my contract? Ask someone else to redo their deal to get your 2 mil we so desperately need for the cap.

I understand the cap and why we can't cut Bennett. Accelerated cap hit yada yada yada. :\ I wasn't excited about him to begin with.

At first I was all for Bruce redoing his deal (and if he did it great) but now that I see what it really looks like, and I think about it more I think it's pathetic that the Rams can't just pay the man for the final year of the contract. It's not like he can't play and we aren't stacked at WR so I don't see his number as unreasonable.

If we got to next year with him and he didn't want to do another deal here fine, but I think it's a slap in the face to him to squabble over 2 mil after all he has done. I think the Rams are making a mistake.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

moklerman is offline Registered User

The team had no choice? Are you serious? The team NEVER spends wisely and their moves rarely result in winning seasons. The idiots could have at least given us all something to feel good about since the Rams aren't going to be a playoff team with that extra $2 million...that they agreed<wink, wink> to give him just last year.

This front office is complete slime and cares nothing about it's fans or players. Why do you guys stick up for them?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    The team had no choice.
    I disagree. We are talking about 2 million dollars, it's not the end of the world if the Rams just paid Bruce for the final year of his contract.

Maybe no player(s) stepped up to help and if not shame on them, but shame on the Rams for squabbling over 2 mil. Bruce already restructured once, they should have never even asked him to restructure again in the first place. The front office put us in this cap hell, so they should suck it up and pay the man.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -02-29-2008 at 04:04 AM.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

rammiser is offline Registered User

I disagree. We are talking about 2 million dollars, it's not the end of the world if the Rams just paid Bruce for the final year of his contract.

Maybe no player(s) stepped up to help and if not shame on them, but shame on the Rams for squabbling over 2 mil. Bruce already restructured once, they should have never even asked him to restructure again in the first place. The front office put us in this cap hell, so they should suck it up and pay the man.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I would rep you but I need to spread it around. Two million dollars and Bruce walks, what a joke. He knows Saunders offense and has out performed Bennett for the last 3 years and Bennetts whole career for that matter. This move makes ZERO sense and why people say it does is beyond me. Isnt football about on the field production? Even if we draft a younger guy or bring in a younger guy is he going to be better than Bruce in this offense right now? Berrian,Henderson,Davis, and Lloyd are those guys going to produce like Bruce? Five million for next year for his production is not too much to ask. you know you get what you pay for and all the names I mention above will be cheaper and will not produce like Bruce. Bennett wont either, not in another new offense. He looked lost last year, hate to see him have to learn another offense and a more complicated one at that. Ever think of how this may affect Bulger? He and Bruce have had a rythem together and from the looks of stone hands Bennett and Bulger there was no chemistry last year. Now in a new system for Bennett we are going to expect him and Bulger to be on the same page. Tell me again Bruce wasnt worth the 5 million. I guess we are rebuilding and not planning on the playoffs next year because we knocked our offense down a notch by releasing Bruce. Does Bennett look like a precise route runner to you guys? Like how Bruce and Holt run routes and are looked at by their peers as great route runners. Would Bennett have made Frisco's secondary look like college players like Bruce did last year? I'm sure the 5 mil will be well spent on a guy who can contribute in 3 years. Nice move front office again you look like idiots.
    Just Fix It

I find it hard to believe that Torry, Marc and maybe some others wouldn't come to the table to free up 2 mil. We may never know.
    Maybe they would have but were never asked. Maybe they were asked but said no. As you said, we may never know. Is it fair to ask other guys to take a paycut so that Bruce can get all of his money? Maybe not, but I can't help but wonder if guys like Holt, Pace, or Bulger would actually say no to it.

It's not like he can't play and we aren't stacked at WR so I don't see his number as unreasonable.
    Well, we're not stacked at WR now. But if the Rams go out and sign someone like Donte Stallworth and then draft a rookie WR in the first 2-3 rounds of the draft, it's conceivable that both of them could cost $5 million against the cap this year, and we'll have bettered our youth and speed at the position for the same price.

The problem I think many fans have is that we all still think Bruce can play at a high level. And maybe he can. But maybe, when Al Saunders looks at his offense and what he needs from his players, Bruce just doesn't fit as well as we'd like him to. Let's not forget this is a guy who was using speedsters like Moss and Randle El in Washington. This is a team that needs to stretch the field; Bruce isn't going to do that, though he'll run some damn good routes.

So keeping that in mind, you have to ask yourself how much you pay for a guy that might not be a great fit for what you want to do. The Rams apparently were willing to pay $3 million. Bruce wanted the whole $5.

I think the Rams are making a mistake.
    I don't like the move either, but the best thing we can do is wish Isaac luck, hope they're still trying to work something out, and try to move on with our own future thoughts on improving the team.

After all, none of us want to end up a jaded old man like mokler, now do we?

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    He knows Saunders offense
    Okay, but what does it tell you when Saunders doesn't make a big push to keep Bruce here in that offense?
    Last edited by Nick; -02-29-2008 at 04:51 AM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Okay, but what does it tell you when Saunders doesn't make a big push to keep Bruce here in that offense?
    We know this to be a fact or is it all speculation? Did Saunders come out and say he didnt make a push for him? Production,production,production, they will regret it if they dont bring him back.
    Just Fix It

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. -03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. -03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  4. -03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. -03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
  6. -03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  7. -03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
  8. -03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  9. -03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  10. -03-02-2008, 07:35 AM