RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bruce sits out because of injury to hamstring

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/27/2006

KANSAS CITY The Rams were minus both starting receivers Saturday, when Isaac Bruce was a late scratch for the Governor's Cup preaseason game with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Bruce was held out of most of Wednesday's practice at Rams Park because of what coach Scott Linehan referred to as "camp legs." Bruce had a tight hamstring during pregame warmups at Arrowhead, and it was decided to hold him out of Saturday's game as a precaution.

"His hamstring is probably about 80 percent, and he did hurt it (Wednesday)," Linehan said. "He practiced about three-quarters speed most of the week. He says it doesn't feel very good. We actually went out and worked him out (during pregame), and he just felt like it was too tight. I didn't want to risk any further injury."

Bruce missed 15 games over the 1997 and '98 seasons because of hamstring problems. Meanwhile, Torry Holt sat out as expected with a bruised sternum suffered in last week's preseason game against Houston.

Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald started in place of Bruce and Holt.

Injury update

Defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy left the game momentarily in the first quarter with what was described as an ankle injury but returned later in the first half.

"It didn't appear to be too bad, but we'll wait and see," said Linehan, who said Kennedy probably would undergo an MRI exam.

Curtis suffered a slight concussion on a play that resulted in a Kansas City interception late in the first half but returned to play in the third quarter.

Left tackle Orlando Pace returned to action after missing the Houston game with a sore ankle, knee and hip. But while the rest of the offensive starters played into the third quarter, Linehan replaced Pace in the first half with Todd Steussie.

"It was a surprise to me, but I guess he just wanted me to get limited snaps today," Pace said.

Also sitting out Saturday's game were fullback Madison Hedgecock (ankle) and offensive guard Claude Terrell (wrist). Terrell did not accompany the team to Kansas City.

DV in the house

Former Rams and Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil was at Arrowhead Stadium for Saturday's game. Vermeil and his wife, Carol, are active in Operation Breakthrough, a Kansas City charity that aids inner-city youth.

Missing in action

Rams strength and conditioning coach Dana LeDuc did not accompany the team to Kansas City. He returned home to Seattle to be with his ailing father.

Rams equipment assistant John Welby also did not make the trip. He is recuperating at his south St. Louis home following foot surgery.

Wilkins' debut

After resting his leg for the first two games, place-kicker Jeff Wilkins made his preseason debut and looked to be in midseason form. Wilkins made his only field-goal attempt -- from 48 yards -- and sent his two kickoffs to the Kansas City 1 and 2, respectively.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce sits out because of injury to hamstring

this is not good news,with his hamsring history,of all the bad that last night was,this is the most disturbing.

maineram is offline Registered User

This isn't good news for Bruce but could be worse. At least he's feeling 80% instead of 30%. As far as hamstring problems for Bruce, he hasn't had any since the 98 camp before DV saw the light and lightened up his camp. So this would be the first tough camp they have had since that 98 camp. He wasn't going to get much work the last preseason game anyway, so he can give it some rest with treatment and be ready to go when the real games begin.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

general counsel is offline Registered User

Better safe than sorry. We have two weeks before the season starts and rest is most important. I would hold him out next week as well if its any issue at all.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

vicsportsaddict is offline Registered User

Hope that we have the time that Bruce feels better .We have really 2 weeks and hope that situation will change

RealRam is offline Registered User

I would hold him [I. Bruce] out next week as well if its any issue at all. /GC
    Vic, Welcome to the Clan!

Yes, I agree w/GC. I trust our Reverend Receiver will be ready, up and running in two weeks. It'd be great to have our entire and elite WR corps healthy against Denver.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Bruce is a gamer, but know it's better to rest and wait, then to play and further aggrivate an injury. He's no Owens, if this was regular season, he'd be playing without a doubt.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Welcome Vic. The GOAT will be just fine and be the #2 receiver on the deepest group of wideouts in the NFL today.