Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Bucs and Rams Talking Trade?

How many of us on this board have extensive knowledge of Josh Johnson and/or have seen him play a lot?? If you have, you're a better man than me. Speaking for myself, I barely know who the guy is and therefore can't get terribly excited at the prospect of getting him. I can only surmise (if this article is true) that Devaney knows his business and thinks the kid can play. We'll see.

I cannot see the Rams acquiring Johnson THEN drafting a QB with the #3 pick- no way in hell. You're not going to pick a QB at #3, pay him a ton of money then sit him behind Josh Johnson. And Josh Johnson certainly wouldn't want to come to the Rams and warm the guy's seat for 5-7 games before being buried again on the bench. The more likely scenario would be to acquire Johnson and get another QB in the later rounds.

None of these guys excite me- Jason Campbell, Chad Pennington, Vick, Johnson et.al. Unfortunately, this is all that could conceivably be available.

The fundamental question is this: Is there a QB in this year's draft that Rams management thinks can lead us for the next 10 years? If so, take him right away. If not, the guy you acquire via trade better be. It is screwy logic to suggest we wait till next year's draft and get a QB- as if we know where we'll be picking and know who would be available at that spot. You don't make franchise-altering decisions based on a bunch of "what if's" and "maybes".

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    How many of us on this board have extensive knowledge of Josh Johnson and/or have seen him play a lot?? If you have, you're a better man than me. Speaking for myself, I barely know who the guy is and therefore can't get terribly excited at the prospect of getting him. I can only surmise (if this article is true) that Devaney knows his business and thinks the kid can play. We'll see.

I cannot see the Rams acquiring Johnson THEN drafting a QB with the #3 pick- no way in hell. You're not going to pick a QB at #3, pay him a ton of money then sit him behind Josh Johnson. And Josh Johnson certainly wouldn't want to come to the Rams and warm the guy's seat for 5-7 games before being buried again on the bench. The more likely scenario would be to acquire Johnson and get another QB in the later rounds.

None of these guys excite me- Jason Campbell, Chad Pennington, Vick, Johnson et.al. Unfortunately, this is all that could conceivably be available.

The fundamental question is this: Is there a QB in this year's draft that Rams management thinks can lead us for the next 10 years? If so, take him right away. If not, the guy you acquire via trade better be. It is screwy logic to suggest we wait till next year's draft and get a QB- as if we know where we'll be picking and know who would be available at that spot. You don't make franchise-altering decisions based on a bunch of "what if's" and "maybes".
    This is what bothers me: Say we make this deal. There's a big difference between Josh Johnson, who the Rams may be "high" on, and if they believe he's the Rams' QB of the future. Now, say they think Bradford is a QB of the future, what then? It leaves us in a real bind because I have a feeling that they like Johnson a lot but if we didn't get him through a trade, we'd pick Bradford. No questions asked.

If we do get Johnson and pick, let's say Berry at this point...What if Johnson doesn't pan out and Bradford does? It's a big question mark and although I know a lot of people are sick of the "safe picks," I'm not. When the safest/BPA is a need for your team, you jump on it. Simple as that. Again, I'd make this trade if it was a 2nd round and 4th and 5th (or 2nd and 3rd), or something like that but like I said I feel as if Tampa isn't sacrificing all that much. They clearly feel they have their QB of the future...And they still have a nice amount of draft picks.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

clarasDK is offline Registered User

A friend of mine is a big bucs fan so I get to see and hear more about the Bucs than most Rams fans (I even was in London with him to see them get beat up by the Patsies). He is allready smiling about getting Suh for Josh......

I cannot see where all the Josh hype should come from, there is a reason that the Bucs took a QB in the first round last year and there is a reason that this rookie took Josh's starting spot.

If we can get the second round pick of the bucs I would consider a deal

Then we could take Bradford with the 3. overall pick from the Bucs. And fill out some more gaps with a extra second round pick.

But getting Josh and then be able to take Berry in with nr 3 is not good enough, than I would rather stick with Suh and hope to find our future QB in the second round or later. Or even wait until next year.

In my opinion we are much more than at franchise QB away from success and I fear we will draft pretty high next year again, so I see no reason to panic on a QB this year.

The only thing positiv about a Josh deal would be that it would mean that Vick would not be a Ram next year, the thought of Vick as our next QB just makes be throw up in my mouth.....
    Last edited by clarasDK; -02-21-2010 at 04:18 PM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I like the sounds of this trade. I watched a couple Bucs games last year where Johnson started and I think there is a lot to like about him. He seems to be very athletic and can buy time with his legs. I actually would feel better about having him start than any of the other free agents whos names keep getting tossed around.

Also love the idea of trading down and picking up Dez Bryant at 3. That would give us a new QB, new #1 WR, and an extra 3rd rounder at the least. I think that would do wonders to our offense. As much as I'd love to have Suh, a scenario like this sounds even better to me.

eldfan is offline Registered User

If this happen I hope they don't draft a QB with the third pick like some has said on this thread it would not make allot of sense take WR Dez.
    :ramlogo:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

The Rams must 100% feel like JJ is our QB of the future and I want to hear it from Spags and Devaney. Otherwise, forget this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rammiser is online now Registered User

I don't see the sense of getting Josh Johnson instead of one of the Bucs second rounder and then drafting a qb 3rd overall. I would rather drop down to 3rd overall and still get one of the Bucs second and still get Johnson. We are basically saying Johnson is worth either of the Bucs second rounders by swapping first round pics and only getting Johnson and a 3rd rounder? This doesnt guarantee we have a stud qb or stud dt either. If the Bucs want Suh so freaking bad no way in hell are they getting the 1st pick without the trade including at least one of their second round picks. In my opinion if we don't draft Suh we have to draft Clausen or Bradford because I think McCoy would be going to Detroit. It would be nice to land Bryant but who's gonna throw him the ball? An inaccurate scrambling qb? If they want to aquire Josh Johnson that's fine with me but the trade should still include one of the Bucs second rounders.

This trade is easy for the Bucs and they would be laughing all the way to the bank if the Rams agree to it. Imagine the Bucs who have two second round pics only having to surrender a backup qb and thier 3rd round pick for the guy they covet. Basically the Bucs lose nothing and still end up ahead of where they started, they would still have 2 second round picks and none in the third which isnt a big deal because their #42 selection would still act as their 3rd rounder but garner a much better player. Not only all of this but they would still get Suh and basically lose nothing in return. In my opinion there is no way as a person in the Rams organization this trade happens without getting one of the Bucs second rounder NO WAY.

Im fine with getting Josh Johnson, I don't know much about him but the Rams need players. So just getting Johnson and a 3rd rounder for Suh is a rip off when the team your dealing with has two second rounders. The Rams if they really would take Johnson should ask for at the least the Bucs 42nd overall and maybe even a 4th or fifth on top of that or no deal. If the Bucs covet Suh so much they should have to give up more than a backup qb and the 67th pick in the draft. If the Rams go for this trade they are out of their minds and will go to show that even with a revamped front office they still make dumb decisions.
    Just Fix It

TRUERAMFAN is offline Registered User

That would be stupid!!!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Here's another video of Josh Johnson in his first NFL debut this past year in Week 4 against the Redskins.

NFL Videos: WK 4: Josh Johnson highlights

I really don't get how people can say he'll be a career backup when he has more potential than anyone coming out of this draft and with the experience he's gained on the bench and in his starts he'll be more ready to start than Clausen or Bradford. Just because a guy isn't drafted in the First Round doesn't mean he isn't good.

First round does not = Franchise, people. The guy throws a good ball with an underrated arm. He can make all the throws and will continue to develop.

43-1 touchdown ratio deserves a look if your playing division 1 football. That's not even counting his rushing numbers....

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

The Pioneer Football League is Division I-AA football because its schools athletic departments want to be Division I in all other sports and are therefore forced to at least be Division I-AA. They don't offer football scholarships, and are only eligible for at large bids to the Division I-AA playoffs. I would treat them as being high Division II equivalent in terms of talent.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I really like what I'm hearing about this RUMORED trade scenario. HOWEVER; Billy D. and Spags are infinitely more knowledgable than I with regard to talent and potential. I must put my faith in them. Period.

P.R., I respect your opinion immensely, but... Are you saying that, after watching him on film, Josh Johnson does not look to have superior on-field skills, poise and athletic abilities than Keith Null?!? And Do you feel that P.F.L schools CAN"T have good talent, or that they traditionally do not...?

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    Lets think outside the box, but totally logical, for a moment. Just for fun.

Rams give up #1 Pick
    Rams get Josh Johnson
    Rams get #3 pick in draft
    Rams get TBay's 2nd pick in 2nd round (#42 overall)
    Rams get TBay's 3rd round pick (#67 overall)

Rams give up #3 pick
    Rams get Niners #13 pick
    Rams Get Niners #17 pick
    (***** get their QB)

That leaves Rams with Johnson, Bulger, Null, and Reilly to battle for QB spot
    Rams have picks:
    #13 (CJ Spiller, Dez Bryant, Brian Price, Jason Pierre-Paul?)
    #17 (Dan Williams, Taylor Mays, Carlos Dunlap, Jermaine Gresham)
    #33 (Brandon Graham, Golden Tate, Colt McCoy, Kyle Wilson, Jahvid Best)
    #42 (Anthony Dixon, Damion Williams, Chad Jones)
    #65 (Ryan Matthews, Navarro Bowman, Dexter McCluster, Greg Hardy)
    #67(Ryan Matthews, Navarro Bowman, Dexter McCluster, Greg Hardy)

Rebuilt in one draft.
    You Crazy?

1. We could not take the BPA and possibly in the draft with either DT's if we trade to #3 and address a big need at the same time.

2. If we do trade then we take Clausen or Bradford and get Johnson from the trade?
    Hellz no we don't 15 QB's for training camp. We arent' just a QB away from the playoffs... wakeup!

3. This deal is weak and if Tampa likes Suh so much they better be giving us alot more than what's being discussed here...

4. Never EEEVVVERR Deal with thE ***** to help them or even joke about it...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68 View Post
    I really like what I'm hearing about this RUMORED trade scenario. HOWEVER; Billy D. and Spags are infinitely more knowledgable than I with regard to talent and potential. I must put my faith in them. Period.

P.R., I respect your opinion immensely, but... Are you saying that, after watching him on film, Josh Johnson does not look to have superior on-field skills, poise and athletic abilities than Keith Null?!? And Do you feel that P.F.L schools CAN"T have good talent, or that they traditionally do not...?
    Traditionally do not bordering on can't. And since I seriously entertain the thought that Null was the worst quarterback to start a game in the NFL last season saying that he is better than Null doesn't do a whole lot to sway me.

Poise is overrated. Mark Sanchez is "poised". Mark Sanchez was also a 30 ton albatross around the neck of the Jets last season.

As a final thought, my confidence in this front office's ability to evaluate talent is "guarded". If we keep hunting around the NFL's septic tank for diamonds with minimal success, that confidence will continue to diminish.

Fortunately they haven't said word one about this trade, so I can blissfully assume that this is some uninformed media type throwing stuff against the wall to put everyone in a tizzy.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I would agree that guys from smaller schools are a bigger risk because of the competition they play- after all, Div. I-AA and Div. II are designated as such for a reason. But to suggest they can't be successful or these schools don't produce good talent is inaccurate. Ben Roethlisberger went to Miami of Ohio. Phil Simms went to Morehead State. Dave Krieg went to Milton College- which doesn't even exist anymore. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Certainly, it didn't hurt these guys.

With all of that said, though, the Rams can't afford to gamble on a guy with major question marks at the QB position. And as I've said before, Johnson isn't a guy who we know much about- other than he put up gaudy statistics at a small school and wasn't good enough to quarterback Tampa Bay.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I would agree that guys from smaller schools are a bigger risk because of the competition they play- after all, Div. I-AA and Div. II are designated as such for a reason. But to suggest they can't be successful or these schools don't produce good talent is inaccurate. Ben Roethlisberger went to Miami of Ohio. Phil Simms went to Morehead State. Dave Krieg went to Milton College- which doesn't even exist anymore. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Certainly, it didn't hurt these guys.

With all of that said, though, the Rams can't afford to gamble on a guy with major question marks at the QB position. And as I've said before, Johnson isn't a guy who we know much about- other than he put up gaudy statistics at a small school and wasn't good enough to quarterback Tampa Bay.
    The "wasn't good enough to QB tampa bay" is drastically simplifying the situation. He was fielded after Leftwich wasn't getting it done QB. In his 4 starts he fared admirably with a very bad offense that lacked in just about every area. He made plays and was benched simply because he was only warming the seat for the head coaches poster boy Josh Freeman and they were continuing to lose games. He was essentially a rookie given the keys to arguably at the time the worse team in football and forced to throw an average of 30+ times a game due to the lack of what was supposed to be a potent running game.

What other rookie or sophmore Qbs wowed you this season? Do you think Bradford will come in and learn this offense and fair better? Will you miss Suh once we've been forced to pass on him for Bradford?

Bradford first has to learn how to master getting the ball from under center, pass his shoulder evaluation, somehow prove he isn't a Chad Pennington in terms of durability, and answer questions about his arm strength (which admittedly i don't have a problem with).

Peoria, would you rather the Rams not try to find that gem on other teams and explore all avenues or would you rather they just draft all the guys ESPN tells them to and hope they pan out. Seriously, you'd think people would be concerned if they WEREN'T evaluating all talent instead of worrying about if they are doing it too much...

The NFL is full of talented guys, otherwise they would not be in the NFL. All that is needed is a guy with the hard work, talent, and smarts for an unheralded guy who isn't given a chance to become a star.

When one problem is fixed they just move on and complain harder about the next one....
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -02-22-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast