Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chris58 is offline Registered User

Is Bugler the answer?

I like Marc Bulger. He's smart, accurate arm, and has a steady temperament. But I ask the ClanRam forum is he capable of leading the Rams to the promise land in 2008 and beyond?

The way I see it he has three strikes against him: First, Linehan's futility. Second, Bulger's immobility; and third, Bulger's fragility. Now something can be done about Linehan. He can change his play calling or get an OC, have a healthy OL. That part can change. But Bulger has shown an alarming lack of escapabilty, even if just to avoid getting clobbered and only taken down. He gets hit too hard too often. We can't lay this all on the OL because every NFL QB gets hit a lot in the course of the season. They have to be tough. And I think Bulger is tough, mentally. But he is fragile. He breaks easy and it seems that once the concussion thing starts with a QB it is a signal of the beginning of the end.

So, IMO one of the three problems can be solved rather easily, but being slow of foot and fragile are a bad combination in the NFL today.

What do you think? Is Bulger going to be around beyond 2008? Will he be able to play 16 or more in 2008? What should be done for a contingency back-up for next season and the forseeable future?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Is Bugler the answer?

He has to be. The Rams would be in salary cap hell if he wasn't. Bulger has proven he can get the job done, it's up to the other side of the ball to help him out.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger is a top tier QB in the NFL. period. What he needs to work on is throwing the ball away once in a while instead of taking the sacks he takes.

I agree he has the tools and given the chance to throw he is great. I am not so much doubting his quarterback skills but I am concerned about him breaking up physically. If I am Linehan and co. I am thinking hard about a quality back-up in the event he goes down again. Every good team seems to have one. Is what we have now good enough?

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I wouldn't exactly call him fragile. He played most of the year with broken ribs. That's painful. He's playing behind a porous OL who aren't making it easy for him. He does need to throw the ball away more instead of just hanging on to it all the time. Easier said than done i suppose when your pocket is virtually nonexistant.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Bulger is a good pocket passer and thats it. He rarely escapes the pocket and doesnt improvise well. He isnt durable and doesnt seem to inspire others around him by being a very vocal or animated/outgoing type leader. He has led ONE fourth quarter comeback in his CAREER that I can recall (vs Seattle). Too often when the Rams are down, he finds a way to dig the hole DEEPER. His history is that he primarily CAVES under pressure. Playing with a lead is one thing...but rallying your team when trailing is the stuff that CHAMPIONS are made of. Thats NOT Marc Bulger. 60 mil...what a shame. I just have NO confidence in him when the game is on the line.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    The way I see it he has three strikes against him: First, Linehan's futility. Second, Bulger's immobility; and third, Bulger's fragility.
    Linehan did pretty well with him in 2006 when the OL was more stable. Bulger needs reasonable protection plain and simple. No QB in the NFL would have been successful or been able to remain injury free behind the Rams 2007 OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    He has led ONE fourth quarter comeback in his CAREER that I can recall (vs Seattle).
    Well, I was at a game a few years ago when Bulger led a two minute drive to come back and win against the Cardinals and I'd be willing to bet there have been others.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Like an interview by Scott Linehan said, even the great QB's have a down year.

I've had confidence in Marc Bulger since he became starter for this team. I have never lost confidence in him. Though I'm afraid to put the back ups on the field, Bulger usually has success on the field when he is playing.

He is the answer. And if he wasn't...who exactly is? Gus isn't that great...neither is Berlin. We can't really afford any other QB's due to our horrible cap salary. Bulger is the answer for now and possible years to come.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

what this is crazy this even coming up. Are you telling me a guy who gets hit 30-50 times a year is fragile. He stayed healthy last year and he was sacked 40+ times. It just caught up to him getting hit another 40 times. Imagine how Manning or Brady would be getting sacked 40 times.

Another thing what is wrong with a good pocket passer. Look at all the top QB's in the league they are all pocket passers . If Bullger the answer

of course he is

this is crazy this is coming up

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is Bulger the answer? Depends on the question.

If the question is: "who is the best QB in the NFL?" then, no, Bulger is not the answer.

If the question is: "who do you think should be the Rams' starting QB for the next few years?" then, yes, Bulger is the answer.

blood85 is offline Registered User

He's only as good as his LINE, look at Brady, yes he is very skilled, but his line helps him keep his jersey clean.

Yes, Brady's line is superior to this year's Ram OL but I have seen Brady, Hasselback, Favre, Manning, Big Ben time and again avoid the rush, scramble or improvise and hit fourth reads all because they can move out of the pocket. I will say it again, I like Bulger. He is good when given the time, but he can't help himself out too much when a play starts to go south. I just don't have much optimism in his ability to stay off the IR in 2008 even if the OL is healthy.

I am not advocating a trade of Bulger, as he is the best we have, I'm asking if we shouldn't consider improving our strength at QB through FA or the draft because at some point we may have to rely on someone else; maybe sooner than later.

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

I think so. The Rams are almost stuck with him no matter what with his contract. Remember how Jim Everett was great until the line started to get old fast? He was then a former shell of himself. Always under pressure, he became gun shy. Until he got traded to the Saints where he had some decent seasons.

This may not be the best example and I'm not suggesting the Rams trade Bulger, but it seems like similar situations. If the Rams can ever get there line together for a couple of seasons, i think you will see a better QB.

eldfan is offline Registered User

It's Hard to find a good qb he has to be it. I hope the rams draft a qb somewhere between rounds 4-6 to devolop just in case he not a long term solution
    :ramlogo:

Ramsfan1973 is offline Registered User

Are you all watching the same Rams team that I am? Bulger is fragile? The man gets hit more than any QB I see on Sunday and I have never scene him carted off the field. He only missed games this year because of broken bones and a concussion. That directly goes toward our pathetic O-line. Of all the things wrong with the Rams, Bulger is the last one who should be getting looked at. He is one of the most accurate QB's in the league and is a team first guy. If I am not mistaken, Steven Jackson found Fumble-Itis disease this season and missed more than his fair share of games with injury, but I do not expect to see fans question him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast