RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger to Becht was common hookup for the Mountaineers

May 11, 2008

Rams TE Anthony Becht now is known for his blocking, but there was a time when Becht and Rams QB Marc Bulger formed a dangerous duo in the passing game.

Becht and Bulger were teammates at West Virginia University from 1996 through 1999.

“We came in together, we were there every year,’’ Becht said. “I know Marc very well. Marc hasn’t changed a bit. One thing about Marc, I will say — and I kind of knew this when were coming out of college even though he got a little bit of a slow start — if he got a chance, he would be able to pick apart a defense. If you give him time, he’s very accurate. That’s the key to his game. If we can give him a little time and protect him, he can really do some damage.’’

With Bulger throwing to him, Becht caught 29 passes for 393 yards and four touchdowns as a junior and 35 passes for 510 yards and five touchdowns as a senior.

“Coming out our senior year, we were the MVPs on offense,’’ Becht said. “We hooked up quite a bit. We had a really good play-action thing. We had a really good running game in college.’’

Becht was a first-round draft choice of the New York Jets in 2000, while Bulger was a sixth-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints the same year. Bulger was released prior to the start of the 2000 season, while Becht played in 14 games as a rookie for the Jets.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound Becht’s best receiving season in the NFL was in 2003 when he caught 40 passes for 356 yards. He hasn’t caught more than 18 passes in a season since then, but he has earned a reputation as a good blocker.

“After that, I kind of fell into a label,’’ Becht said. “No one ever wants to be labeled as anything, but if you are going to be labeled as something and you are good at it, I’ll take it. I still practice my routes hard and try to get out there and do what I can in the passing game.’’

Becht caught only five passes for 20 yards and two touchdowns last season for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he impressed the Rams’ coaching staff with his blocking in a 24-3 win over the Rams in Week 3.

Becht helped pave the way for the Buccaneers’ 182 rushing yards, including 75 yards and two touchdowns by RB Earnest Graham, against the Rams.

“How he played against us a year ago made an impression on me,’’ Rams coach Scott Linehan said. “I remember out of that game that he controlled the line of scrimmage and controlled the edge. I felt that was something we wanted to add to our tight end core. He gives us another veteran and a guy who knows the game. He gives us that versatility, being not just a blocking tight end. The guy has good hands and he knows the offense. His all-around ability is the thing that is really impressive.”

Becht said he was looking forward to blocking for Rams RB Steven Jackson.

“I really get excited when I have a guy like Steven Jackson in the backfield,’’ Becht said. “When I was in New York with Curtis Martin, I liked nothing more than going out and making a big block for that guy. Hopefully, we can get it clicking well here.’’

Becht has been staying at Bulger’s house the last couple of weeks, and he said his old college roommate has gotten neater in the nearly a decade since they last played together.

“He has definitely matured on that side,’’ Becht said. “He has some of the finer things of life now, and he takes care of what he has. He is a great competitor and he wants to win. I think the main thing is we have to protect him better this year.’’

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger to Becht was common hookup for the Mountaineers

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    May 11, 2008“How he played against us a year ago made an impression on me,’’ Rams coach Scott Linehan said. “I remember out of that game that he controlled the line of scrimmage and controlled the edge. I felt that was something we wanted to add to our tight end core. He gives us another veteran and a guy who knows the game. He gives us that versatility, being not just a blocking tight end. The guy has good hands and he knows the offense. His all-around ability is the thing that is really impressive.”
    Anyone else find it strange that Linehan remembers specifics about opponent TE's? I mean seriously, who focuses on TE's?

That said, I think Becht is an amazing pickup and I foresee great things ahead in our five TE sets... err, two TE sets.

Josh Guest

maybe beause he pancaked our guys, you kind of remember that when you can't get by them.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is getting better day by day.

I think Becht will help Steven succeed and reach his goal for rushing. Let's hope our whole line stays healthy.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'm surprised Nick didn't jump on this article first. Saunders has had a pro bowl TE the past 8 years I think that will be McMichael this year (hopefully), but he will have to block less thanks to this guy

moklerman is offline Registered User

Saunders has had a pro bowl TE the past 8 years
    Weren't Gonzo and Cooley already pro bowlers, though?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post

mokler, it's kind of like Animal House.

"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"The Germans bombed Pearl Habor"?
    "Don't stop him, he's on a roll".

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Gonzalez yes, Cooley no.

McMichael was for a time considered to be one of the league's best tight ends, so I don't see any reason why Saunders couldn't find a way to maximize that talent as well, though.