RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger believes Rams will be just fine

From AP wire reports
    Friday, November 3, 2006

Marc Bulger is doing his job. It's breakdowns elsewhere that have been costing the St. Louis Rams.

After consecutive losses, the quarterback's confidence has only grown. He produced 24 points last week against the stingy Chargers, has thrown 248 passes with only one interception, and ranks second in the NFL with a 101.3 passer rating.

"It's good anytime you face a top five defense and you can say you moved the ball," Bulger said Wednesday. "I know from my standpoint and I think I can speak for most of the guys, it doesn't matter who we're playing. We're confident we can score on anyone."

Bulger's efforts have been negated by a defense that has surrendered 68 points the last two games, and by key mistakes on offense. The Chargers and Seahawks totaled nine sacks.

Last week, Stephen Davis' fumble was returned 79 yards for a touchdown to give the Chargers a 21-7 lead in the first half, and three sacks shortcircuited other drives. That was enough to leave Bulger, who was 27-for-40 for 327 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions, playing catchup most of the day and ultimately in the loser's locker room after a 38-24 loss.

"I feel good throwing it, although obviously there's still a way to go for the offense," Bulger said. "The record is all that matters."

The Rams (4-3) remained in a tie for first place in the NFC West because the Seahawks also lost last week. That, also, is Bulger's bottom line.

"We're not happy with the way we've played, but we're still there," Bulger said. "It's a matter of trying to win the division first and once you do that anything can happen. The Steelers proved that last year. That's got to be our focus: just getting in."

The Rams play the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

- David Garrard will make his second consecutive start at quarterback in place of Byron Leftwich as the Jacksonville Jaguars host Tennessee.

Leftwich missed two practices last week and threw his shoulder pads to the ground when he learned coach Jack Del Rio wanted Garrard to take all the practice repetitions.

Garrard completed 10 of 17 passes for 87 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions in his first start, in a strong wind. He was sacked once, but ran eight times for 36 yards and had a key 13-yard scramble on fourth down.

- Second-year defensive tackle Mike Patterson signed a seven-year contract extension that will make him a Philadelphia Eagle through 2016.

Patterson, 23, had 44 tackles and 3 sacks as a rookie. This season, Patterson has started in all eight games and has 28 tackles, 1 sacks and recovered two fumbles - one he returned 98 yards for a touchdown against the San Francisco *****.

- Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz signed a contract extension that keeps him with the Chicago Bears through the 2010 season. Terms of the three-year extension were not disclosed. Kreutz's existing six-year, $23 million deal was not due to expire until 2007.

Kreutz has played in 61 straight games and has missed only one start since he became the starting center opening day of 1999. That was due to appendicitis in November 2002.

Teammates applauded the contract extension. "He's the one guy that we can't lose," linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "And we're not going to."

- Peyton Manning was named the AFC's player of the month Thursday, the third time he's won the award.

Manning's month was nearly as perfect as the Colts' 7-0 record. He completed 72.6 percent of his passes, threw for 1,070 yards, 10 touchdowns and had a passer rating of 117.2.

More important to Indianapolis was that he led three fourth-quarter comebacks in four games. "He's been good and it's well-deserved," Colts coach Tony Dungy said. "There was a lot of good football there."

- Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates doesn't care much for Kellen Winslow's boasting, which could make Sunday's home game with the Cleveland Browns much more interesting.

On Wednesday, Winslow hyped his matchup with Gates as "a heavyweight match. It's me versus Gates. I want to be the best tight end out there."

"For you to play in seven straight games and decide you're the best tight end in the league, I don't think that's appropriate to say," said Gates.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger believes Rams will be just fine

Yeah, So we lost to the Chiefs! How's Bulger feeling now ???