Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger contract questions and info

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Bulger hold out of a couple TC sessions. The FO will certinally get him locked up to a deal then.

z.nrd Guest

Re: I am starting to scratch my head on Bulger

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post

Unfortunately this contract crap takes awhile. :\
    Contract crap in and of itself doesn't always take a while. It doesn't with every team. However it almost invariably does with the Rams.

general counsel is offline Registered User

znrd, i dont know how many contracts you have negotiated in your day, but based on what i do every single day in my job, contract negotiations DO take a while. They rarely are easy to accomplish because the devil is in the details.

I dont think that the rams are any better or worse than anyone else in terms of how long it takes them to get deals done with their players. Pisa and Little got locked up last year. Warner, Faulk and Bruce were all locked up long term without animosity or difficulty. Holt was locked up without a holdout. We may not agree with some of the guys that the rams have let walk over the years, but when it comes to most of the big stars of the team, such as bulger, the rams have found a way to get it done. Note also that once the impossible postons were off the case, Pace was locked up in short order.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

chiguy is online now Registered User

I put no stock in the RotoWorld report. Its the NFL off-season where the entire NFL media industry has nothing to talk about, yet must still fill their pages and airtime with something anyway. Since you can only talk about how genius the Wes Welker move is so many times, they ask the kind of leading questions shot at Bulger and then treat it like news. Once you recognize that these guys just *need* something to report, this shouldn't bother you. If Marc says in the media, "Things aren't going well...." then you should get concerned.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    Contract crap in and of itself doesn't always take a while. It doesn't with every team. However it almost invariably does with the Rams.
    What is that based on? Sure, it took a long time to get Pace signed to a long-term deal, but that was more a Poston issue than anything else. I've seen the Rams sign FAs quickly (i.e. Witherspoon, McMichael), re-sign their own players early (i.e. Little, Tinoisamoa), and lock up veterans long before holdouts could become a problem (i.e. Holt, Warner, Faulk).

I think sometimes fans get frustrated when certain negotiations linger and they mistakenly presume that the other 31 teams in the league don't have the exact same problem. Look at last year's "Final 4." The Colts still haven't locked up Freeney. The Patriots have a potential holdout in Assante Samuel. The Bears haven't resolved the Lance Briggs issue. The Saints could be facing a future holdout by Will Smith.

As gc said, its not so easy to iron out the details of a contract. Heck, I've had cases that took longer to agree on the settlement agreement than they did to litigate. Just the nature of the beast sometimes.

The bottome line is that Bulger seems to want to be a Ram, and the Rams apparently want Bulger. They'll work it out.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

********RUMOR************

I apologize in advance if I have this wrong.

Last night as I was channel surfing between the MLB Allstar game and the NFL Network. I caught the end of the Bulger interview. I could have sworn that someone said the Bulger was looking for Top 5 (QB) money. I can't remember if it was Bulger that said it or maybe it was Marshall Faulk??? Anyway, that could one of the issues that's holding up the contract agreement.

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    ********RUMOR************

I apologize in advance if I have this wrong.

Last night as I was channel surfing between the MLB Allstar game and the NFL Network. I caught the end of the Bulger interview. I could have sworn that someone said the Bulger was looking for Top 5 (QB) money. I can't remember if it was Bulger that said it or maybe it was Marshall Faulk??? Anyway, that could one of the issues that's holding up the contract agreement.

and if this is true..... GOOD on Bulger, he deserves Top 5 money....

om another note it doesn't seem in Bulgers nature to holdout, I just don't see that happening!!! hes a team player through and through

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i have consulted directly with howard and barry on this topic. They are of the view that the rams are typically very tight lipped in terms of public negotiating. Its just not ziggys style. Any reporters that give you "inside info" are highly suspect at this point.

Guys, the rams know whats at stake. One day we will just see it flash over the wire that he is signed and we will all be relieved. Until then, we just wait for info, which we are unlikely to get in any substantive form until this is very very close to signed if not actually signed.

I am among the group that checks 20 times a day for any update on the situation.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree,we are not getting any real info on the situation, but I'm like everyone else,just get it done,I really don't think Bulger wants to be anywhere else and i don't think he will hold out for every last cent, he is already wealthy and stands to be stupid wealthy,I truly thinks he wants to be on a winner.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Majorram View Post
    ...He [Bulger] is a team player through and through.

Steve

Totally agree, 100%. A Pro Bowl caliber, solid, strong-stats QB we have in MB whom, indeed, deserves a contract that matches his skills and attributes. I think he -- quietly -- is looking forward to a great season this year (as do I) and winning is deeply embedded in his mind.

Any day now, the Rams FO will come through and everyone will move on to the next 2007 agenda priority.

rams70 is offline Registered User

I certainly hope its simply a case, as someone stated previously, of Zygmunt going about the process quietly and out of the public eye. Nonetheless, let me add my voice to the chorus of 'Lets get him Signed' PLEASE!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I reminds readers that the negotiations on past players such as Holt, Little, Faulk, Bruce etc. seldom saw much at all as far as progress before the deals were announced.

The Rams Jay Zygmunt is an attorney, among other things, and he never leaks negotiations stuff as a ploy like some GMS etc have done. Bulger's agent, Tom Condon, is one of the best, and is a true professional in how he does his job as well, so you probably won't see leaks from that side either.

The Rams no doubt will get Bulger as well as Steven Jackson, their other key player to be extended, done in time. Right now they are busy working on their draft picks, and I expect when those are done, things will heat up on Bulger very quickly.

They know what the numbers are going to be in the end, at least what Brees got from New Orleans last year, perhaps a bit more, but around that figure on a long term deal.

The Rams have the money and the cap room, and Linehan loves Bulger, so he isn't about to let his tenure go downhill because he loses his key offensive guy.

That's why I say to ignore whatever rumors you hear, because they are not coming from Marc, Zygmunt, or Condon, so mostly they are just guesses from "insiders" looking to sell themselves.

Marc did not seem overly concerned that a deal will get done in his Sirius radio interview, so why should fans get their panties in a bunch? It's a waste of time.
    Barry Waller

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Look at this holistically, if you will. Within the transaction parties, we have two members (Zygmunt and Condon) who have shown a healthy relationship. However, one party (Zygmunt) is known for being fiscally conservative, and another (Condon) with a history of scoring big number contracts for his high performance clients. Those are polar opposite starting points which lend themselves to a slow-moving merging that may take a while. The relationship between the two would lend itself to an amicable process that didn't spill into the media.....ala Poston / Rosenhaus, or Boras in the baseball world.

If Bulger didn't want to be here, we'd know it. True holdouts make it pretty apparent by this point. Bulger just saying "I'm not ruling it out." is exactly that.....not ruling it out. As AV mentioned, "ruling it out" only hurts his cause. Saying "there's no way I'm holding out" is the same as flushing money down the toilet.

The deal will happen someday.......just not today.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

don't worry your pretty little heads about it , his new contract might not be done by training camp , as all would like . BULGER is the man , he know's it , the team knows it , the office know's it , because GOD ALMIGHTY said it to be so . he will be in uniform this year , with a new contract in hand that will let him be the last qb ike bruce receives a pass from , will be the qb that leads the rams back to the top of the division and back to regular playoff apperances . we have not even signed our top two draft picks yet . buy the tickets , buy the #10 jersey's , get a tattoo , BULGER will be in uniform , not fishing , waiting for a contract , while HIS TEAM , is working tward their goals on the field without him . WRITE IT DOWN .

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What is that based on? Sure, it took a long time to get Pace signed to a long-term deal, but that was more a Poston issue than anything else. I've seen the Rams sign FAs quickly (i.e. Witherspoon, McMichael), re-sign their own players early (i.e. Little, Tinoisamoa), and lock up veterans long before holdouts could become a problem (i.e. Holt, Warner, Faulk).

I think sometimes fans get frustrated when certain negotiations linger and they mistakenly presume that the other 31 teams in the league don't have the exact same problem. Look at last year's "Final 4." The Colts still haven't locked up Freeney. The Patriots have a potential holdout in Assante Samuel. The Bears haven't resolved the Lance Briggs issue. The Saints could be facing a future holdout by Will Smith.

As gc said, its not so easy to iron out the details of a contract. Heck, I've had cases that took longer to agree on the settlement agreement than they did to litigate. Just the nature of the beast sometimes.

The bottome line is that Bulger seems to want to be a Ram, and the Rams apparently want Bulger. They'll work it out.
    It's not a complaint, it's a description. And it's based on years of watching the Rams forge major deals, most of which (almost all of which) were successful. Faulk, Warner, Bruce, Carter, Holt. I'm not counting Pace cause the Postons make that case different. The Rams always take a while. I "mistakenly assumed" nothing about contracts, or other teams. And no one said they wouldn't work it out. Nevertheless, it is true...the Rams do take a while. I would be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if they got this one done before camp.

At least in the past, one thing that slowed it down was structure. Everyone I listed except Holt initially turned down a major Rams deal. They had to go back to the drawing board in each case. (Only one DIDN'T go back...Carter. But that's because he took his issues public.) In each case it wasn't the amount that was the problem, it was the structure. Percent backloaded, percent guaranteed, that kind of thing. If you forced me to guess I would say one reason the Rams are a bit slower than most is because they have to be careful with upfront money. How much they actually give a guy in year one (bonuses, guarantees). I suspect that's because they are in the bottom 4th of the league in revenues. So they can't be quite as free with cash upfront.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-12-2007 at 01:02 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Barry. Informative and level-headed comments from you, as always.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast