throwback week

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    z.nrd Guest

Re: Bulger contract questions and info

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    LOL. Ok I'm actually tired of reading the word "transcript" so znrd just PM me the link and I will post it and if a mod feels they need to move it or do whatever with it then so be it.
    Here's the text:

Host, Adam Schein: Do you want to get [a new deal] done before training camp? Do you want to get it done before week one? Would you talk during the season? What your timeframe here for a deal?

Marc Bulger: Ideally we want to get it done before training camp. I would have done it in January or February if it was up to me. Tom Condon, my agent, handles that Heís been doing it for a long time. He has the best guys in the league and I follow his advice. We have a game plan and weíre going to stick to it.

Host, Solomon Wilcots: In that game plan is there any scenario that could lead to, maybe just possibly, Marc Bulger becoming a free agent and hitting the open market after the season?

Bulger: Anythingís possible but I honestly think weíre going to get something done before the season. If we donít we can talk about the possibilities after that but Iím confident that weíre going to get something done.

Schein: I know your leadership skills but I do feel compelled to at least ask this question. If itís before training camp and they donít give you an offer that you want would you ever consider a holdout?

Bulger: Like I said, weíll see if that would happen. I donít think itís going to happen but you never know. I donít want to rule anything out. The Rams have been good to me. Iíve been there my whole career and I think everythingís going to get worked out.

On his place among todayís NFL quarterbacks:

Schein: Why is it, do you think, that Marc Bulger, even with your numbers and making the Pro Bowl last year, that Marc Bulgerís name doesnít always flow off the tip of the tongue when youír talking about top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL?

Bulger: (laughs) I donít know. Itís been something Iíve battled with in college, too. You know, I came out in college and I got drafted second day but I know my numbers were right there with everyone else and I know I could play with everyone else. Like I said earlier, if I just keep playing my game, I really donít want attention. I donít want accolades. I could care less if Iím mentioned in the top 5. As long as guys on my team Torry [Holt], Isaac [Bruce], Steven Jackson, Marshall Faulk played for us, I know he did respect me. I know I can play and arenít constantly looking for someone else to come in and play with them I know that everyone on the team knows that Iím in the top 5 and thatís all that matters to me. I donít need a perception around the league that Iím up there with those guys. Obviously, Peyton [Manning] with his Super Bowl and all his MVPs and I think Tom [Brady] with all his Super Bowls have separated themselves a bit from the rest of us. If you can win a Super Bowl that helps a lot and hopefully we can make a run this year.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-12-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Please don't post links to other Rams forums.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Now that the transcript thing is settled, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulger
    I donít want to rule anything out.
    That was the best answer for Bulger to give. He handled it perfectly, no matter how the media or anyone wants to try and spin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

You know, if you take Marc's statement to it logical extreme, he didn't rule out dipping himself in peanut butter, rolling in birdseed, and suspending himself from the Gateway Arch as the world's largest birdfeeder. In fact, he didn't rule anything out.

I can see it now:

Rotoworld: QB Bulger Threatens To Become Human Birdfeeder

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You know, if you take Marc's statement to it logical extreme, he didn't rule out dipping himself in peanut butter, rolling in birdseed, and suspending himself from the Gateway Arch as the world's largest birdfeeder. In fact, he didn't rule anything out.

I can see it now:

Rotoworld: QB Bulger Threatens To Become Human Birdfeeder
    No one, of course, would be that stupid. Context matters in meaning. And being too literal distorts meaning. So logically Bulger meant he did not rule out a hold out. The context makes that clear.

For example, if you want to play that game, you literally really do see the birdfeeder headline at rotoworld, which makes us question your sanity. Hey, you *said* you could *see it,* man.........

Anyway, my bet is, the very fact that he had to come out and respond to how he was taken means that next time, he will probably find a safer way to put it. Hold outs are a flash, hot button issue. Bulger's a smart guy, so I bet he learns the art of finessing moments like that. Most do, which is why we don't get the same controversy every time a marquee player up for a contract gets interviewed.

This is why Sportsfans are there own worst enemy (with the press being a close second). Here's the vicious circle:

Sportsfans: "Waaah! There's nothing going on!"

Press: "Let's interview a player."

Player: "Blah blah blah blah innocuous innocent statement blah blah blah."

Press: "Did you hear that? Player said blah blah blah!"

Fans: "Oh my God! Player said blah blah blah! The sky is falling!"

Player: "Oh, geez! That's not what I meant at all. What I meant was blah blah."

Press: "Breaking News! Player retracts blah blah blah! Says blah blah!"

Fans: "Oh, so now he's saying blah blah? I still think he might have meant blah blah blah!"

Player: "The Hell with it. I'm not talking to the press any more."

Press: "Now we can't get a story!"

Fans: "Waaah! There's nothing going on!"

z.nrd Guest

Interesting. So, accoording to that logic, players, management, and the press all base their actions on reading fan message boards?

I had no idea we had that much power. I mean, who knew.

I thought we was just tradin different opinions.

I don't think anyone even knows what your opinion is. You play both sides of the fence more than the cloned offspring of Tim Allen and Earl Hindman.

I can tell you though... if I was a public figure like Marc Bulger and I realized that I can't even make a casual, off-the-cuff, neutral statement without every yokel with a pen or a keyboard twisting my words like they're a wad of sourdough at Snyders of Hanover, I think I'd quickly perceive the merits of a vow of silence.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-13-2007 at 12:32 AM.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think anyone even knows what your opinion is. You play both sides of the fence more than the cloned offspring of Tim Allen and Earl Hindman.

I can tell you though... if I was a public figure like Marc Bulger and I realized that I can't even make a casual, off-the-cuff, neutral statement without every yokel with a pen or a keyboard twisting my words like they're a wad of sourdough at Snyders of Hanover, I think I'd quickly perceive the merits of a vow of silence.
    I know what my opinions are. And if others need to know, they only have to ask. But I defy you to show where I was on 2 sides of the same issue. I like it when there are lots of opinions and lots of voices and everyone treats posters with respect in the midst of it.

As far as Bulger goes, lots of players are in the same position every year. Marquee players in contract situations who get asked leading questions during an interview. It doesn't always end up in these kinds of faux controversies. And that's not because the misreaders like Pasquerelli cut them breaks. Some players just finesse it (without losing anything), or don't do interviews while the negotiations are still brewing. Marc will learn. Others have, and he's smarter than most.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-13-2007 at 01:55 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Now that the transcript thing is settled, thankfully.

That was the best answer for Bulger to give. He handled it perfectly, no matter how the media or anyone wants to try and spin it.
    ramsbruce.....so much lucidity in only 26 words. Bravo.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    As far as Bulger goes, lots of players are in the same position every year. Marquee players in contract situations who get asked leading questions during an interview. It doesn't always end up in these kinds of faux controversies. And that's not because the misreaders like Pasquerelli cut them breaks. Some players just finesse it (without losing anything), or don't do interviews while the negotiations are still brewing. Marc will learn. Others have, and he's smarter than most.
    So you think Bulger could have "finessed it" to avoided the controversy? I totally disagree. As I stated in another thread, unless he gave an unequivocal NO to the holdout question, which he obviously could not do, the very fact that it was a possibility (regardless of how he stated it) gave the press something they could run with and sensationalize, especially this time of year.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    So you think Bulger could have "finessed it" to avoided the controversy? I totally disagree. As I stated in another thread, unless he gave an unequivocal NO to the holdout question, which he obviously could not do, the very fact that it was a possibility (regardless of how he stated it) gave the press something they could run with and sensationalize, especially this time of year.
    I not only think he could have finessed it, I think others do it all the time.

And it's not "the press" that took Bulger out of context and used his words against him...it's only one real reporter (Pasquerelli) and a fantasy football website (rotoworld). So far anyway.

The way to handle reporters who want to trap you is to know a trap when you hear one. That question was a trap: "do you rule out a hold out." The person who asked it knows full well that Bulger can't just say "yes I rule out a hold out." More experienced, less personally honest and sincere guys can walk through that trap without giving the users and abusers ammunition, but also without giving anything away (he needs to keep the hold-out possibility credible in the minds of the Rams). I think next time, Bulger will do that. Cause there's hundreds of ways to answer a question...some which serve you better than others.

But I am not blaming Bulger. Just saying, next time, I bet we will see him finesse questions like that better. A lot of folks disagree. So, I see it differently from them.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-13-2007 at 04:17 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So, zach, what should Bulger have said?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Zach can correct me if I'm wrong, but in another thread he stated that Bulger should have said something like, "well no one can really rule anything out in this life but I do not expect to be in a hold out.", as opposed to Bulger's actual statement, "I don't think that will happen. But you never know. I don't want to rule anything out." I don't see any difference in those statements and certainly don't think the outcome would have been any different.

As for others doing it all the time, I would be interested in an example of a player being asked a question about a possible holdout and what the response was in avoiding any controversy.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Zach can correct me if I'm wrong, but in another thread he stated that Bulger should have said something like, "well no one can really rule anything out in this life but I do not expect to be in a hold out.", as opposed to Bulger's actual statement, "I don't think that will happen. But you never know. I don't want to rule anything out." I don't see any difference in those statements and certainly don't think the outcome would have been any different.

As for others doing it all the time, I would be interested in an example of a player being asked a question about a possible holdout and what the response was in avoiding any controversy.
    One is a general, empty vague statement. It's also a continuous sentence as opposed to a single sentence that can be isolated.

The other refers specifically to what he, as an individual, will or will not rule out. It's also said in a single sentence that can be isolated.

And yeah of course he was taken out of context. But then, people get taken out of context. You have to account for that if you;re being interviewed during contract talks.

Imagine this difference if you want to cause a scandal:

"Bulger says he cannot rule out a holdout."

"Bulger says that obviously players in his position need to keep their options open."

Just hypothetically, if the latter statement were the one in the press, would we even be debating this?

Or, even better:

"My agent tells me it's smart not to discuss a deal while talks are continuing, and I think that's good advice."

There's also the fact that not many players accept interview invites from national radio while their agent is negotiating a deal. Most quite wisely decline until the contract talks are over.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-13-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    One is a general, empty vague statement. It's also a continuous sentence as opposed to a single sentence that can be isolated.

The other refers specifically to what he, as an individual, will or will not rule out. It's also said in a single sentence that can be isolated.

And yeah of course he was taken out of context. But then, people get taken out of context. You have to account for that if you;re being interviewed during contract talks.
    We'll just have to disagree here. I still see no difference between the two responses and certainly wouldn't expect any reporter to consider using your logic. If there is even a hint that a holdout is a possibility, they'll run with it. Your suggested response, "well no one can really rule anything out in this life but I do not expect to be in a hold out", leaves that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd
    Imagine this difference if you want to cause a scandal:

"Bulger says he cannot rule out a holdout."

"Bulger says that obviously players in his position need to keep their options open."

Just hypothetically, if the latter statement were the one in the press, would we even be debating this?
    Probably. "keep their options open" in the context of a holdout question still leaves the door open to a possible holdout, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd
    There's also the fact that not many players accept interview invites from national radio while their agent is negotiating a deal. Most quite wisely decline until the contract talks are over.
    Very true, but not the issue we're discussing. We're dealing with responses to questions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast