RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger Excited About Offensive Possibilities

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Depending on how you look at it, Marc Bulger will enter the 2007 season with one of the most enviable positions in the league. As the quarterback of a Rams' offense that has added more and more weapons to an already potent group, Bulger will have to find a way to keep everyone happy.

So, what if the expected happens and Bulger has players from every position telling him they were open after every play?

“I have heard guards tell me they’ve been open before so there’s nothing I haven’t heard,” Bulger said.

After the emergence of Steven Jackson as one of the best running backs in the league last season, it became clear that the Rams once again had one of the most talented offenses in the league.

Entering the free agent market, it seemed the Rams’ needs on offense were far more limited than defense. But because of the amount of money teams had, not many top tier defensive players hit the open market.

With that in mind, the Rams have added more top talent to an already talented offense. St. Louis quickly pursued receiver Drew Bennett and tight end Randy McMichael. Bennett gives the team a big downfield threat with the ability to go over the middle and fill in with Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in the slot. McMichael is widely considered one of the top five tight ends in the league and is equally adept at pass catching and blocking.

Those additions have taken the Rams offense from talented to downright loaded, on paper at least. And nobody could be happier about it than Bulger, who believes the changes made to the offense, could put the Rams offense among the best in the league and, potentially, the best he has played with.

“(It is) since I have been playing,” Bulger said. “That first year was pretty good in ‘01. With Steven, even without the addition of Drew, you could say that because Steven had 90 catches and improved throughout the year. And now with the addition of McMichael, we definitely have the most talent on our side of the ball we’ve had since I have been playing.”

That could be a good thing because it has been difficult to find impact defensive players that will improve a unit that finished near the bottom of the league in run defense last season. Should the Rams be forced to go back to the days of the 2000 season, they might just have enough firepower to outscore everyone.

Clearly, there is still time to improve the defense through the draft and perhaps another wave of free agency, but it doesn’t appear much more tweaking is necessary on offense.

Consider that with Jackson’s huge 2006 season, the Rams now have a player at each of the skill positions with at least one Pro Bowl appearance. And while it’s nice to have that much talent, it can sometimes be difficult to keep everyone happy.

“We throw the ball a ton; it’s not like we have one guy that will get all of the balls,” Bulger said. “Isaac and Torry have both been getting a lot of balls throughout their career. There will be balls to go around. It’s going to be nice to have all of those guys. That should take care of the Cover 2 problems we had with Isaac and Torry being double covered.”

Fortunately for Bulger, none of the new additions seem overly concerned with touches. The overlying theme out of McMichael and Bennett’s mouths is winning; something neither has done much of at either of his previous stops.

“It’s going to be fun,” McMichael said. “One thing about it is you won’t be able to double cover anybody. You won’t be able to roll coverages. I know a lot of teams try to take Torry away from us, but we have so many weapons now that will free him up even more I think.”

Indeed. Many teams did their best to take Holt out of the offense in 2006 by rolling coverages to his side of the field and forcing Bulger to take more underneath passes. That worked out just fine for Jackson to become more involved in the passing game, but with McMichael and Bennett in the fold, the Rams would like to see Jackson with closer to 60 or 70 catches than 90.

Having a pair of big targets like McMichael and Bennett should help open up things on the outside because of their ability to work over the middle of the field.

With a young, talented and improving offensive line, the offense needs only to add another young running back and perhaps a developmental receiver.

Regardless, the Rams are hopeful that their new additions will harken the glory days of the Greatest Show on Turf.

“I think we have improved our football team with the offensive players we’ve added,” coach Scott Linehan said. “That’s exciting for us. I think you can never have enough quality football players on your team. There’s not a player on the team that will be unhappy if we are having success on the field.”

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger Excited About Offensive Possibilities

that was a great read. I'm also worried about players complaining but with such veteran leadership, I don't think that will be a problem as long as the team walks away with a W.

Drew Guest

i think if we had a FB of Hodgins calibre(when he was healthy and with us!) we really would have an O to challenge the GSOT O!

maineram Guest

With Smith gone, Hedgcock will do just fine. Smith only took valueable practice time away with the starters once his ankle was ready to go.

Maineram -

Drew Guest

i do like hedge....but i also like chillar they both respectable pros just not great and are upgradable...i realise in the salary cap era...no one can have a team full of big stars but damn i would love to see SJ running behind a raging bull of a FB like hodgins was in his prime!

maybe we`ll find one in the draft,leonard wont be there for us but snelling or mcclain may not be hodgins but would be an upgrade and hedge can keep a roster stop as cover for FB and TE!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Defensive Coodinators around the league are already reaching for the aspirin bottle. This is going to be one tough offense to put the clamps on if the offensive line does their job.

z.nrd Guest

Well.

I hope that they protect him better.

He was sacked a lot last year.

They can't keep that up!

They have to keep the man upright if this offense is to realize its full potential.

I think our line will be overall very much improved. The kids have a year under their belt, Pace will be back and if Barron can figure out how to count, I don't see any reason why this line can't be special. A little depth would be nice. We should be in for a special year offensively. Defensively now, that is a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    Well.

I hope that they protect him better.

He was sacked a lot last year.

They can't keep that up!

They have to keep the man upright if this offense is to realize its full potential.

z.nrd Guest

That's the positive view.

Here;s the negative.

That Setterstrom, Romberg, and Incognito will not yet be the kinds of pass blockers they are as run blockers.

That Pace will not be fully ready to go.

Barron I have hopes for because he had a knee problem last year, which led to a lot of overcompensating.

Which is my view? Positive or negative?

Right now, neither.

I am taking a "wait and see" approach.

There are many reasons to think they can improve in this regard. Not the least of which is that the OL coaching is now better than it has been for years. But, I want to see it---there are also good reasons to wonder.

Bulger could break his leg tripping on a toy truck in his driveway. Linehan might hit his head on the roof of his car and forget how to coach an offense.

All I am saying is there are a lot of reason to be optimistic with this group, especially in comparisons to the past couple of years.

P.S.--
    Just so you know, I am the eternal optimist of this group. Always looking for the good in the team. Not always right, but sure beats the hell out of being down all the time about the Rams.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If we can keep the OL injuries to a minimum and allow the starting unit to get some continuity, I have little doubt that they will be able to get the job done.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Bulger could break his leg tripping on a toy truck in his driveway. Linehan might hit his head on the roof of his car and forget how to coach an offense.

All I am saying is there are a lot of reason to be optimistic with this group, especially in comparisons to the past couple of years.

P.S.--
    Just so you know, I am the eternal optimist of this group. Always looking for the good in the team. Not always right, but sure beats the hell out of being down all the time about the Rams.
    Kewl. Me, I am a realist. Neither optimist nor pessimist. Always asking myself, what's the most realistic view? On Sundays though I am just a bonkers fan. Loud, too.

A story. I am in the basement, watching a game. Suddenly my wife is at the top of the stairs. She goes "did they fumble, or something?" And I went "yeah, why." So she goes "because the dog crawled into his crate up here and is cringing." So I go "don't worry, they have time to score again."
    Last edited by z.nrd; -04-04-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

520 is bold but possible

RealRam is offline Registered User

Bold but possible -- true, Tim. 33 points average per game is a TALL order. I'll be content to see 450 (28/game avg.) and our D responding with a points limiter of their own.

I'm joinining Bulger and our NEWSIP (new-still-in-process) offense. It's exciting to think of the possibilities ... yes, granted: provided the OL is determined to give their all, their best. The potential is definitely there!

Wraith, a little FYI: I am also one of the 'eternal optimists' in this group. I don't always get to express those positives but it's here inside of me. ...Z.nrd, not to worry. I also try to be a realist -- perhaps out of the lessons of experience -- but I do tend to be optimistic. Never the giddy cheerleader, just Ramoptimistic.

...Additions have taken the Rams offense from talented to downright loaded, on paper at least. And nobody could be happier about it than Bulger, who believes the changes made to the offense, could put the Rams offense among the best in the league and, potentially, the best he has played with.

“(It is) since I have been playing,” Bulger said. “That first year was pretty good in ‘01. With Steven, even without the addition of Drew, you could say that because Steven had 90 catches and improved throughout the year. And now with the addition of McMichael, we definitely have the most talent on our side of the ball we’ve had since I have been playing.”
    --N. Wagoner
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-05-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added quote

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

McMichael said. “One thing about it is you won’t be able to double cover anybody. You won’t be able to roll coverages. I know a lot of teams try to take Torry away from us, but we have so many weapons now that will free him up even more I think.”
    Yes, yes, and yes. That's the kind of quote I've been wanting from him since he signed. That first quote that only talked about how many more balls HE was going to catch had me worried. This one I like a whole lot better.
    i think if we had a FB of Hodgins calibre(when he was healthy and with us!) we really would have an O to challenge the GSOT O!
    Just my opinion here, but I think we tend to undervalue Hedge and overvalue Hodgins. Hedge is every bit the run blocker that Hodgins was back then. Which, btw, is not a slap in the face to Hodgins......both are pretty good leads. Contrary to popular belief, the FB position is not as easy to grasp as some would believe. Martz once said it is second (in complexity) only to the QB.

Hedge did fine last year learning a whole new system, and I'll think he'll only continue to get better.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod