r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger Expects To Play A Lot vs Jets

Bulger expects to play a lot
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    08/11/2009

Starting quarterbacks usually ease into the preseason, often playing no more than a series or two in the exhibition opener.

But when the Rams visit the New York Jets on Friday, Marc Bulger expects plenty of playing time -- perhaps as much as three quarters.

The Rams are in their first preseason under new coach Steve Spagnuolo. They're also learning the West Coast offense under new coordinator Pat Shurmur.

"It could be three quarters or two," Bulger said of his playing time. "It's a new staff and we're all still trying to get a feel for each other. Hopefully, we'll get a couple of good drives and see how it goes."

How much playing time will be enough?

"It's a fine line. You want to get your work in, and obviously you want to be successful," Bulger said. "You don't want to go in and have two drives and not get anything done. At the same time, you want to be fresh going into the season because it is a long year."

Spagnuolo, trying to turn around a team that was 2-14 last season and 5-27 over the past two seasons, isn't saying how much playing time Bulger or other starters will see against the Jets.

Bulger, sacked 75 times over the past two seasons, said he's not worried about getting hit in the preseason opener.

Spagnuolo's training camp practices have included tackling and full pads, though defenders aren't allowed to hit quarterbacks.

"It won't be as big a deal, I think, for the other guys, but for the quarterbacks, it's a good opportunity to get hit and get that initial soreness out," Bulger said.

Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator the past two seasons with the New York Giants, said he hasn't given much thought to the fact his first game as a head coach will be in the stadium where he used to coach.

"The first instance I walk in it'll be, 'Yeah, I remember this place,' but then it will be all Rams," he said.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger Expects To Play A Lot vs Jets

The whole starting unit needs to play a fair amount this preseason. New coaches everywhere, some new bodies, and it takes time to build chemistry. Not saying they need to play 3 quarters in every game, but we can't be like one of those teams that doesn't play some starters until week 3 (of the preseason of course) or something.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Keenum, I agree 100% with you. We've got a ton of new players, a new bunch of coaches, a new playbook, and to top it off, the Rams sucked the past two years. The only way they will get out of the rut is by playing together, and a scrimmage of O vs. D just won't cut it. They need to bang heads with a real opponent.

ScottD413 Guest

When it comes to the preseason, I just hold my breath and pray nobody gets hurt

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    "The first instance I walk in it'll be, 'Yeah, I remember this place,' but then it will be all Rams," he said.

I like this quote a lot. Let's get a "WIN" this friday!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Yeah, I dont care what happens in that game, although I would like to see us win the game and get them back for the thrashing they gave us last season, as long as NOBODY GETS HURT for the RAMS.

Ramer Guest

A win would be nice but I really dont care, as long as no one gets hurt & we perform well

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger can say what he wants but the bottom line is that there's a new sheriff in town. My hunch is that Bulger won't play much. At least that's what Spags texted to me.

Is texted a word??? hmmm

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, as Spags said in another interview, he expects to play the starters about a quarter, or probably two drives each. I'd put my trust in the coach over the player.

ScottD413 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Bulger can say what he wants but the bottom line is that there's a new sheriff in town. My hunch is that Bulger won't play much. At least that's what Spags texted to me.

Is texted a word??? hmmm
    I believe it's called "sexting"