Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Bulger feels the heat, from fans and foes

Bulger feels the heat, from fans and foes

Columnist Jeff Gordon
    (E-mail a "Letter to Gordo")By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/12/2008

It’s time for Marc Bulger to step up as quarterback of the Rams -– literally.

He must step up in the pocket. He must get off his heels and fire up the passing game.

He must move front and center for the offense and lead this unit back from the abyss. That is what the good quarterbacks do.

And Bulger is overdue to regain that distinction.

Last week against the Eagles, Bulger completed 14 of 26 passes for 158 yards and no touchdowns. He suffered four sacks and fumbled once, although he got the ball back. His passer rating was 72.3, which is down in the Tony Banks range.

When the Eagles attacked the Rams with one blitz after another, they had no response. Bulger’s dump-off passes went nowhere.

Save for one belated stretch of no-huddle play, the offense couldn’t find its rhythm. Bulger got in sync with tight end Randy McMichael, but top receiver Torry Holt remained a non-factor throughout the game.

Much of that blame falls on the offensive line, which appeared utterly incapable of reading and reacting to the blitzes for which the Eagles are known. Running back Steven Jackson wasn’t much help against blitzing, either, since he STILL isn’t much of a blocker.

“You know we did so many things wrong and I did so many things wrong,” Bulger told reporters during his weekly media grab at Rams Park. “We are not going to go back into last week that much because we are concentrating on the Giants now.”

Great, but seriously, how could the offense be THAT bad? How could it have so much trouble with false-start penalties?

How could it abandon the run?

“When you get down early, you’re just trying to make something happen,” Bulger said. “I think it was seven or eight times we were in third-and-10 or more. Anyone in this league is not going to convert. You don’t want to go 0 for 11 or 0 for 8 on those situations, but our first and second downs are going to be way more important this week to prevent getting in those situations. We need third-and-4. We need third-and-3. We can’t be third-and-long because then you are one-dimensional, especially against a defense like Philly or the Giants, it’s not going to work.”

When the Giants come after the Rams on Sunday -– and they will come after them, both in their base defense and with extra rushers -– Bulger’s response will dictate how this game plays out.

He is expecting an onslaught.

“They do a lot like Philadelphia,” Bulger said. “It’s a copy-cat league so I think they are going to imitate what happened in the last game that Philly did. Whether it was a blitz pick up or a coverage or getting balls in there, they are going to do things until we can beat it. It is no secret, so it is up to us to make those plays.”

“Their front seven, they get pressure on the quarterback enough where they can still play ‘cover two’ behind. With those front four, that is a huge advantage and usually you have to bring one or two extra guys, but with their personnel they don’t have to. We are ready for anything because Philadelphia brought pressure and we did not do a very good job.”

Can Marc bounce back and take charge of the situation? Or will he become a victim of Battered Quarterback Syndrome and end up back on his heels (or worse)?

Fans are eager to see which way the team will go. And odds are, they will get restless, in a hurry, if the Rams sputter again. Bulger will hear it if his team opens the game with a few third-and-out possessions.

“I wish I had time to worry about things like that,” Bulger said. “I want our fans behind us. I’ve been here and I know they are great fans so certainly I want them behind us, but we have to play better to get them behind us.

“If we come out and play flat, it’s a fan’s right (to boo). I’m a fan of other sports and I’d be doing the same thing getting on us. It’s up to us to get the fans back.”

And it’s up to Bulger to lead the way.

:ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger feels the heat, from fans and foes

Bulger said it himself, it's a copy cat league. Based on that there's no reason our offense shouldn't be prepared for this game.

I'd like to see some draws, screens and quick slants.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Bulger does need to bounce back and have a good game and a good season. I know he has been beaten battered and abused in the past but he is a big time QB getting big time money and he needs to find a way to get the ball down field. I like the guy and don't want to sound like a hater but if he can't find a way to make it happen with what he has to work with then maybe Green should get a shot a getting slaughtered.

Mooselini Guest

I really don't blame Bulger completely for last week's game. His line had him running for his life. His line also had him third and long, and as he said, it is very difficult to convert because the defense knows its going to be a throw. Can't put all of the blame on Bulger.

If his line steps up, his game steps up. I guarantee that.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

as a passer Marc is miles better than Brett Favre,yet Favre is a 1st Ballot H.O.F...where as MB is pretty unlikely at this point to make it atall ... so how come??

Well Brett may not always,but pretty much all the time,he finds a way of getting the job done....im not putting even 20% of the blame on Marc`s shoulders but all our "leaders" need to start leading this team to something better than they have so far.

Go Rams

P.S. i would like to make clear that i am neither a fan of "the Favre saga" or his often ugly throws...just the way he finds a way of getting the job done,above anyone else with his "so-so" skill set!

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    Bulger does need to bounce back and have a good game and a good season. I know he has been beaten battered and abused in the past but he is a big time QB getting big time money and he needs to find a way to get the ball down field. I like the guy and don't want to sound like a hater but if he can't find a way to make it happen with what he has to work with then maybe Green should get a shot a getting slaughtered.
    ROTFLMAO! What do you have against Trent Green? Are you trying to get the guy killed? Believe me Green wants no part of taking snaps behind this o-line. No qb has a chance behind this o-line when they play like they did vs Philly. This o-line had no clue how to pick up a blitz and Philly had no problem figuring that out. Offensive lines make teams tick plain and simple. Crappy o-line equals crappy performance. Solid o-line equals solid performance. Farve would never have been a H.O.F behind this o-line and its inability to block anything that moves. Just like goose said on the sidelines Bulger doesnt trust the o-line because they are getting beat one on one with ease. One thing you are correct about is Bulger won't be a H.O.F'er because behind this o-line and the way it performed last week he will be lucky to be in the hall of an emergency room.
    Just Fix It

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

i am not worried about bulger i really think its the offensive scheme that isnt very effective therefore leaving bulger a victim of "your offense is only as good as your OC"
    Torry Holt Dont play that

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Columnist Jeff Gordon
    (E-mail a "Letter to Gordo")By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/12/2008

It’s time for Marc Bulger to step up as quarterback of the Rams -– literally.

He must step up in the pocket. He must get off his heels and fire up the passing game.

He must move front and center for the offense and lead this unit back from the abyss. That is what the good quarterbacks do.

And Bulger is overdue to regain that distinction.
    THAT'S all I've been saying for several years. I received negative rep for saying it but it is basically my view, for what it is worth.

This is my team and has been for near 50 years so I won't be giving in anytime soon.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Remember the days when Martz was at the helm and both Warner and Bulger would get beat up while waiting for receivers to get open down field on constant deep routes? That was the normal scene with 4 or 5 receiver sets. Now we've got Linehan and Saunders but Bulger is still taking a beating. Its not in Bulgers game to be mobile, he'll not buy time with his legs. He's purely a pocket passer. How many times have we heard "if Bulger gets time to set his feet" he'll do this and that? Its actually fact that when given time he's as accurate as a gun. The line needs to protect and that is where the focus of attention was during training camp. The O-line needs to dig down deep and protect this guy if we are to be successful at anything THERE'S NO SECRET ABOUT IT. He's beginning to look like a scared mouse. Who wouldnt if they were being chased around by 250-300 ld monsters. If he doesnt get the protection he needs soon, his career as an NFL Quarterback will soon be over. As sad as it sounds, with the success he's had during previous years, its not even his fault.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    ROTFLMAO! What do you have against Trent Green? Are you trying to get the guy killed? Believe me Green wants no part of taking snaps behind this o-line. No qb has a chance behind this o-line when they play like they did vs Philly. This o-line had no clue how to pick up a blitz and Philly had no problem figuring that out. Offensive lines make teams tick plain and simple. Crappy o-line equals crappy performance. Solid o-line equals solid performance. Farve would never have been a H.O.F behind this o-line and its inability to block anything that moves. Just like goose said on the sidelines Bulger doesnt trust the o-line because they are getting beat one on one with ease. One thing you are correct about is Bulger won't be a H.O.F'er because behind this o-line and the way it performed last week he will be lucky to be in the hall of an emergency room.
    I agree, you can't do s**t without an O-line, and ours is NOT good but I don't see the FO going out this week and getting one that will protect the QB. My point is that this team needs a spark, I don't blame any of the Rams woes on Bulger but maybe the line would at least try harder not to get Green killed knowing he can't take much of a hit. I'm by no means saying he should start the rest of the year, but lets see if this o-line has any heart.

sig51 Guest

Yeah and the thing is as horrible as our line is, The lineman on paper don't seem like ****. This leads me to believe that the blocking schemes may be off.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    as a passer Marc is miles better than Brett Favre,yet Favre is a 1st Ballot H.O.F...where as MB is pretty unlikely at this point to make it atall ... so how come??

Well Brett may not always,but pretty much all the time,he finds a way of getting the job done....im not putting even 20% of the blame on Marc`s shoulders but all our "leaders" need to start leading this team to something better than they have so far.

Go Rams
    I was thinking kind of the same thing watching the game because we'd occasionally switch over to the New York/Miami game. Favre's greatest gift as a passer seems to be his ability to improvise. For all Bulger's skill in precision and timing, if he doesn't get time to throw, we have no passing game.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

It is the age-old excuse which at the same time has a tremendous amount of merit. WITHOUT PROTECTION A QB WON'T BE SUCCESSFUL.

I comprehend this more than I am given credit for. I do not dislike our QB, he is among the best in the game right now, or was until HFS set in (Happy Feet Syndrome).

Can Bulger revive the team? Not alone, but he can be a big part of it. NO one man, or two or three, is going to carry a TEAM but they can go along ways to creating a positive atmosphere and cause good things to happen.

Success is contagious. The better the team is doing the more the players want seem to want to contribute to the success. More success leads to better camaraderie and this creates better "chemistry".

Team chemistry is a funny thing, good chemistry is found most often on winning teams. If not exclusively. It is self perpetuating.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

curleyski Guest

what happened to plays that are designed to get rid of the ball QUICKLY when we know that they are coming after the qb. anything to offset the defense, i don't really know what plays to call but i do remember when our former qb had alot of success he had the quick 3 step drop and release to loosen up the defense. is our o-line really that bad that we don't have that much time ? will we have a decent corp of recievers this weekend (and good plays or adjustments to go with it)? marc has had great games when he has time to set up and read the defense but sometimes i am not so confident in his abilities as a high paid top notch qb. there have been alot of things that i have seen that i don't believe in him to take us a long way, even if people say "he has that never rattled cool look" all the time. i think the fans want to see some emotion from bulger too. i have yet to see him light into one or more of his offensive lineman for getting him killed, or steven for missing a blocking assignment, FIRE THIS TEAM UP MARC!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post

Go Rams

P.S. i would like to make clear that i am neither a fan of "the Favre saga" or his often ugly throws...just the way he finds a way of getting the job done,above anyone else with his "so-so" skill set!
    P.S. , I would like to make clear that ANYONE declaring that a THREE TIME LEAGUE MVP (and the holder of MANY NFL passing records) has a "so-so skill set" is beyond ridiculous. To further say MARC BULGER is "miles better" at ANY part of the game (other than looking like a bewildered scarecrow before being sacked) only SOLIDIFIES my point. My-oh-my.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast