throwback week

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger Finally Takes Snaps At Center

09.09.2009 12:18 pm
    Bulger finally takes snaps under center
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

For the first time since breaking the little finger on his right hand 3 1/2 weeks ago, St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger moved under center and took snaps Wednesday at practice. That would seem to remove any lingering doubt over Bulger’s availability for Sunday’s regular-season opener at Seattle.

Rookie Jason Smith was lined up at right tackle with the first-team offense early in the workout (reporters were permitted to watch only the first 30 minutes).

Two players have switched numbers: running back Samkon Gado, to 35 from 38; and cornerback Cord Parks, to 23 from 42.

All for now . . . more later.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Bulgers Back - Kind Of

Bulger takes direct snaps in practice for first time since breaking pinkie
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger is taking direct snaps for the first time since breaking his right pinkie.

Bulger missed the last three preseason games after being injured in practice. In recent workouts, he had been working only out of the shotgun.

Bulger said last week he'd be ready for the opener Sunday at Seattle, and added he wouldn't use his injury as an excuse. The pinkie was taped for Wednesday's workout.

Bulger took several snaps from center Jason Brown off to the side before the team session began. New coach Steve Spagnuolo is closing practices after the first half-hour this week.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Bulgers Back - Kind Of

Ok, sounds like he's playing Sunday. Now, let's see how he hooks up with McMichael.

Re: Bulger Finally Takes Snaps At Center

So far so good. Bulger sounds good to go on Sunday and it looks like Smith will probably start at RT.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Was there a doubt that he would play on Sunday? I wasn't aware that there was. They were simply giving it as much time to heal as possible before testing it out. It's not like he's missed any time this week, he's just taken shotgun snaps.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

When I saw the title of this thread I thought "please let this be an article about Bulger returning to the field and not an article about him injuring his back."

Edit: Well now that threads have been merged that doesn't make sense, but I commented under a thread that was titled "Bulger's back - kind of"
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -09-09-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Wouldn't it be nice if these useless gizmos at The P-D actually said how his passes looked? There's more to being QB than taking a snap.

I read that his passes looked crisp & accurate during pre-game at KC & in practice from the shotgun but let's put the whole picture together. If he didn't throw much, just say so; don't leave us wondering.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if these useless gizmos at The P-D actually said how his passes looked? There's more to being QB than taking a snap.

I read that his passes looked crisp & accurate during pre-game at KC & in practice from the shotgun but let's put the whole picture together. If he didn't throw much, just say so; don't leave us wondering.
    i was gonna say the same AZ..tho i guess if he fumbled it like Kurt in the meadowlands, they would have said...not exactly filled me with confidence that report tho..or lack of a report..

Bulger has been throwing for several days now and from what I've read, there have not been any issues. Spags has been making the point that it comes down to Bulger being able to take snaps from under center in making the decision to let him start against Seattle. Sounds like he's ready.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From Jim Thomas' chat, and perhaps what Azul referenced earlier...

Bond_007x: Hey Jimbo, Good work as usual.

We all know Bulger has started throwing again. What can you tell us about his that? Is the finger seemingly affecting his throws? Are his balls still crisp? Does he look like he's suffered from missed practice reps? Is he still accurate as usual?

Thanks.

Jim Thomas: I'll repeat. From what I've seen of Bulger throwing, he looks very good. He had plenty of zip and accuracy on the ball during pregame warmpus for the Governor's Cup game. He threw the ball well in practice Monday as well.

Here's some more info:

Bulger takes direct snaps in practice
    By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour, 22 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS (AP)—Four days away from the opener, Marc Bulger(notes) took direct snaps for the first time since breaking his right pinkie. The Rams quarterback said Wednesday he’s not pain-free, but it’s good enough, barring a setback in the next two days, to play at Seattle.

“I wouldn’t say no discomfort,” Bulger said. “But it was bearable. If it goes like today, I’d say I’m starting 100 percent.”

Coach Steve Spagnuolo also announced that offensive tackle Jason Smith(notes), the second overall pick of the draft, would start on the right side. Linebacker James Laurinaitis(notes), the second-round pick, also is starting.

“The main thing is proving myself and just being a part of a great offensive line,” Smith said. “My whole thing is ‘What can I do to help us.”’

Bulger missed the last three preseason games after being injured in practice on Aug. 17. In recent practices, he had been working only out of the shotgun to avoid aggravating a fracture that hadn’t completely healed, but said he participated in all drills.

He confessed to a sense of relief after taking the first few snaps from center Jason Brown(notes) off to the side. Brown minimized the drama, joking that he hadn’t been aware which quarterback was on the receiving end.

“I definitely lost some sleep over it,” Bulger said. “You stay mentally ready and physically ready, but you kind of worry that the first snap isn’t going to go how you wanted, and you don’t want to let your teammates down.”

Bulger had the last two fingers taped during the practice, although he expects to play without tape Sunday. He said he might not require a pain-killing injection, either.

“I don’t want to encourage some things NFL guys do, so I probably won’t need anything,” he said.

Wide receivers were impressed with Bulger’s work. Backup Kyle Boller(notes) started the last three games for St. Louis, whose 3-1 preseason record topped it victory total of two from last year.

“It’s the same Marc Bulger, nothing’s changed,” Donnie Avery(notes) said.

“He looks like he did before he hurt himself,” Keenan Burton(notes) said.

Spagnuolo said Bulger dropped one snap, but after the Rams changed centers without the quarterback’s knowledge.

“I thought he looked good throwing the ball,” Spagnuolo said. “I had an eyeball on him a couple of plays and didn’t see any ill effects.”

Backup guard John Greco(notes) underwent surgery for a wrist injury that’s expected to keep him out two or three weeks. Two other reserves, safety Craig Dahl(notes) (hamstring) and linebacker Larry Grant(notes) (knee sprain), were held out although Grant did some running.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Here's some more info:
    Nice work,Mike. Exactly what I wanted to hear. With the news about Jones & Spencer being out & nothing said about a hitch in Avery's, Little's or Cogs' giddy-up, I'd say Thunder Rams are a go!