Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger finding ways to hit his mark

Posted on Fri, Oct. 22, 2004

BY STEVE KORTE
    skorte@bnd.com

ST. LOUIS - The bomb is back in the St. Louis Rams' offense.

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger, often criticized over the past year for his inability to connect with his receivers on the long pass, has thrown eight passes of 30 or more yards in six games this season.

He threw only two passes of 30 or more yards in the final five games of the 2003 season, including the Rams' overtime playoff loss to the Carolina Panthers.

"For a while, he wasn't throwing it as well," Rams coach Mike Martz said of Bulger being able to go deep. "I think he is very confident right now about throwing the deep ball, very confident. He started out that way, and then he got to the point where -- and this is Coach Martz's interpretation of what had happened, I'm sure not Marc's -- he was a little tentative with the deep ball.

"You get a guy running down the field, and he didn't want to miss him. He's very confident right now, and he's putting that ball right where he wants to."

Bulger has thrown three passes of 40 or more yards over the last two games after throwing only six passes of 40 or more yards all of last season. He had a 52-yard game-winning touchdown pass to Shaun McDonald in overtime in a 33-27 win over the Seattle Seahawks two weeks ago and a 52-yard touchdown pass to Torry Holt in a 28-21 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday night.

"I haven't done anything different, but we're hitting them, and that's all that matters," Bulger said. "So I'll keep winging it."

Bulger said that completing a deep pass is actually much more difficult than just winging it.

"People think throwing the deep ball is just taking five steps and throwing it 50 yards down the field, but it's not that easy," Bulger said. "I'm throwing it way before they cut, and it's all depending on the coverage. It's a different landing point every time."

Bulger said the Rams also have several different kinds of deep balls in their playbook that call for him to throw the ball at different trajectories.

Martz said Bulger was one of the most accurate deep passers he'd seen when the former West Virginia standout first stepped into a starting role during the 2002 season.

"Initially, his first year in '02, he was very good on the deep ball," Martz said. "He was like Trent Green in that respect, and I thought Trent was as good as there was throwing the deep ball. He was like that."

Martz said Bulger's struggles with the deep pass last season prompted extra attention on that aspect of his game during training camp.

"Throughout camp and the preseason there were days where that is what we did," Martz said. "We took part of our hook-up period and just threw the deep ball. When you get into the game, hey, you just have to put it out there."

Bulger said completing the deep pass has more to do with the opposing defense than how much you work on it during practice.

"We have a lot of deep balls called throughout a game, and you only get that certain look you want about once out of every five times you call the deep ball," Bulger said.

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce said opposing defenses having to respect the Rams' running game with Marshall Faulk and rookie Steven Jackson has opened up the deep pass this season.

"I don't think it ever left," Bruce said. "I think sometimes defense dictates that; they don't want to get beat by a deep pass. They take it away, but they give up other things. I think we take what the defense gives us."

Against the Buccaneers, Bulger said he wasn't bothered by the sore shoulder that caused him to be listed as probable on the Rams' injury report for the game.

"It was sore before, but once the game starts the adrenalin kicks in," Bulger said.

That was evident as he put a block on Tampa Bay cornerback Ronde Barber that sprung Kevin Curtis for a key first down in the fourth quarter.

"I was hoping he didn't see me, but he saw me at the last minute, so I had to brace myself rather than go for the kill shot," Bulger said of his block. "I was just hoping not to get knocked back into Kevin."

After the play, Barber shook his head like he was surprised to be blocked by a quarterback.

"I told him when we put that play in, 'You have to fall down in front of him and bite him in the ankles,'" Martz said. "He didn't take me to heart. He took his throwing shoulder and threw it into the (cornerback) and stopped him cold."

Martz was impressed with Bulger's tackling form.

"He sunk his hips and raised up that big arm of his -- that No. 2 pencil he has got -- and put the wood on him so to speak," Martz said.

xfactor28 is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger finding ways to hit his mark

Barring the Warnerites, was there ever any doubt this kid was only gonna get better?

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Please, Warnerites ("uber" or not) were never about trying to knock Bulger. We just felt the guy that took us to 2 SB's, was still the best chance of us getting back there, and winning one, and are not afraid to point out the kids weaknesses in his learning curve.

I still wonder how we'd be doing with the old guy, but Bulger IS getting better and playing well. Especially that deep ball from the #2 pencil.

xfactor28 is offline Registered User

dont get me wrong sb, i am happy that kw is doing well, and i knew he would. but its nice to have a kid who (knock on wood) should be are qb for many seasons to come.

maineram is offline Registered User

Bulger is coming along quite nicely so far. He's checking down better, finding that 3rd & 4th option better, and is developing a nice touch on his long ball.
    It's nice to see him turning around these phases of his game that were clearly missing from last year, ( see Carolina playoff game ). I for one wasn't sure what we'd get from him this year, but he's proving to me he can run this offense and excell.
    Here's to more improvement and some records of his own !!!

Maineram :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Yodude is offline Registered User

Please, Warnerites ("uber" or not) were never about trying to knock Bulger. We just felt the guy that took us to 2 SB's, was still the best chance of us getting back there, and winning one, and are not afraid to point out the kids weaknesses in his learning curve.
    Excellent assessment of the situation, sbramfan.

I don't understand why after 2 years of doing so, we still have to explain where we're coming from regarding our stance on what happened to Warner.

Maybe some people should try to explain why they have no concept whatsoever about the meaning of loyalty.

Bulger is coming along quite nicely so far. He's checking down better, finding that 3rd & 4th option better, and is developing a nice touch on his long ball.

It's nice to see him turning around these phases of his game that were clearly missing from last year, ( see Carolina playoff game ). I for one wasn't sure what we'd get from him this year, but he's proving to me he can run this offense and excell.
    Agreed!

Here's to more improvement and some records of his own !!!
    All I've ever wanted from him was to live up the faith that Martz showed in him. Last year I saw none of that. This year I'm seeing it and I'll give him credit and praise him for it. I said all along he had potential, he just wasn't ready to start last year, and I'll stick by that assessment.

I will say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the rationalizations of the know-it-alls who said Warner was finished as an NFL quarterback! :tongue:
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Yea , he's finished! Bulger is coming around and I am happy as an Iguana in the produce section! But I will be much happier when they get back the players they need to really get the offense Back to speed. Namingly a better T.E. and F. back! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Maybe some people should try to explain why they have no concept whatsoever about the meaning of loyalty.
    One word: business.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

One word: business.
    I understand the business aspect of the NFL, Nick (not to imply I'm an expert on it), honestly. If I didn't, I'd feel much more negatively about our other losses, such as Wistrom, and Fletcher, just to name two. I know there is only so much you can do with the salary cap always looming behind everything you do.

I just wish sometimes the business could be balanced with loyalty a little more than what it is.

And I'm not convinced that this was a business issue at all.

I just wish sometimes the business could be balanced with loyalty a little more than what it is.

And I'm not convinced that this was a business issue at all.
    Well, when you count for over nine million against the cap, the business end of things is a large part of it. Being loyal doesn't award you more cap space. It's the nature of the beast.

So yeah, whenever you make a snide remark about some people apparently not having no concept of loyalty, you don't appear to have a good understand of the business aspect of the game. The salary cap forces teams to make tough decisions. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it. Some of us just decide to deal with it and move on with what we've got.

Thus, it doesn't make much sense to say that some fans have "no concept whatsoever about the meaning of loyalty." We know what loyalty is, Yo. We just also know what the cap is, and we've learned to accept it.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-23-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Well, when you count for over nine million against the cap, the business end of things is a large part of it. Being loyal doesn't award you more cap space. It's the nature of the beast.
    My loyalty remark was meant in reference to certain posters who make comments like this.....

Quote Originally Posted by xfactor28
    Barring the Warnerites, was there ever any doubt this kid was only gonna get better?

There's pretty many posters on this site and there were pretty many on the old site too. In my recollection, I remember 3 or 4 people who regularly perdicted that Bulger would never improve. That's a tremendously small portion of the people who showed support for Warner. To most of them, this wans't about Bulger never improving. I always said Bulger showed great potential but was not ready to start. Last year confirmed that analysis. To make a comprehensive statement like the above quote that all "Warnerites" doubted that Bulger would ever improve is a snide remark...and I'm sorry if it troubles you, but if I get snide remarks from someone, they are going to get snide remarks in return from me.

Thus, it doesn't make much sense to say that some fans have "no concept whatsoever about the meaning of loyalty."

It makes perfect sense in the context that it was meant. If I had said that anyone who thinks getting rid of Warner was the right thing to do didn't understand the concept of loyalty, you'd be right, that wouldn't make sense. But those that constantly ridicule and bait Warner's supporters, and don't realize that Warner's support stems from many people feeling he got shafted by the Rams, yes, they do not understand the concept of loyalty and never will.

I already explained where my loyalty comment was coming from, I didn't necessarily meanit toward the front office, but it can certainly be extended to them. It's not Warner's fault that the team over-extended itself to pay him. He had already demonstrated his "loyalty" to the organization by restructuring his contract at least one time. And you know what, if he hadn't been lied to by Martz, I'm fairly confident he would have done so again. He never struck me as a money-hungry individual, but maybe I misread his character.

you don't appear to have a good understand of the business aspect of the game
    Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure that in my previous post on this thread, I specifically said that I know this is a business. If I had no understanding of that, I'd be pissing and moaning about every player we lose to free agency. Since I don't have a record of doing that, I'll take the above for what it appears to be. Another attempt to belittle someone who doesn't agree with your point of view...a la Avenger.

Another attempt to belittle someone who doesn't agree with your point of view...
    Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, pot. :bored:

And I disagree, Yo. To make a comment regarding Warnerites doubting that Bulger would ever improve is a misrepresentation of a position. What you did was respond after that misrepresentation was cleared up - Xfactor made his post, SB cleared it up, and the convo moved on - with an inappropriate and unwarranted comment. That is snide, IMO.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-23-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler.
    And I disagree, Yo. To make a comment regarding Warnerites doubting that Bulger would ever improve is a misrepresentation of a position. To question another fan's loyalty is snide.
    I didn't question another fans loyalty. Someone who doesn't recognize that my support of Warner is out of loyalty for what he has helped my favorite team to accomplish, certainly doesn't understand the concept of loyalty, which is what I questioned.

And no matter how you slice it, xfactor28's comment was snide.

And no matter how you slice it, xfactor28's comment was snide.
    I disagree. There's probably not much else to address.

There's probably not much else to address.
    Can't argue with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast