Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulger finds no positives for the offense

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Tuesday, Aug. 24 2004

KANSAS CITY - Desperately seeking a silver lining despite the turbulent skies
    that swirled over Arrowhead Stadium on Monday night, Rams quarterback Marc
    Bulger said: "The only good thing that comes out of tonight is, it doesn't
    count against our record. Besides that ... I don't think anything good came out
    of it."

Although storms didn't hit until after the Kansas City Chiefs had completed a
    24-7 victory that dropped the Rams' preseason record to 0-2, the climate
    already had turned sour for Bulger and rest of the first-team offense.

Going against the Chiefs' No. 1 defense proved to be a mismatch for Bulger and
    his crew. Running back Marshall Faulk, seeing his first action of the
    preseason, left early in the second quarter, but the rest of the 'ones'
    completed the first half. The score at that point was 24-0, and the Chiefs had
    built a total-offense edge of 200 yards to 68.

"As quarterback, your job is to get points," Bulger said. "I didn't do my job
    tonight." Bulger completed eight of 15 passes for 67 yards, with an
    interception that linebacker Shawn Barber took 60 yards for a touchdown.
    Bulger's quarterback rating was a woeful 37.4.

Bulger had several factors working against him: a patchwork offensive line; a
    blitz-heavy defensive plan by Kansas City; and consistently poor field
    position. The Rams' six first-half drives had an average starting point of just
    past the 20-yard line, and they produced a mere 73 total yards.

The Rams crossed the 50-yard line just once in the first half - and only when a
    15-yard penalty took them to the Chiefs' 45. Bulger was sacked three times,
    though his indecisiveness while searching for receivers was at least partly to
    blame.

Coach Mike Martz tried to soak up the culpability, saying he did a "very poor
    job" of preparing his outfit. But Bulger was having none of that.

"As players, we all know it's our job to go out there and play well," he said.
    "And if we'd executed the game plan the way we should have, there's no reason
    why we couldn't have won. It's definitely on the players; I don't think it's on
    the head coach."

At least the Rams' reserves could claim superiority: St. Louis mustered 210
    yards in the second half to Kansas City's 57. Not that it mattered much.
    "Everyone knows it was our 'ones' vs. their 'ones'" when the Chiefs took
    control, Bulger said.

Gunther Cunningham, the Chiefs' new defensive coordinator, called blitz after
    blitz, with obvious success. "You've got a quarterback in Marc that's still
    relatively young in the league, so why not blitz?" Faulk said. "They know our
    offense pretty well, and they kind of know if they do blitz us some of the
    basic things we'll do as far as adjustments go."

That probably was the case, Bulger said, when Barber picked off his pass
    intended for running back Arlen Harris. The Chiefs brought both safeties, and
    when Bulger hurried his throw, Barber was waiting for it.

"That's our adjustment, to throw it out there," Bulger explained. "And
    obviously they have that play in their playbook. So maybe they game-planned
    it."

Excessive blitzing used to be frowned upon in preseason games, but that
    unwritten rule apparently doesn't apply anymore.

"We didn't expect that much pressure, but we got it," Bulger said. "It wasn't
    completely out of the ordinary, though. It was working, and they stuck with it.
    ... When you play Kansas City it's almost like a regular-season atmosphere."

rebel13 Guest

Angry Re: Bulger finds no positives for the offense

WOW!! What a performance by the soon to be "best quarterback in the history of the Rams!! That "Genius" Mike Martz - what an amazing offensive performance!!

My Opinion - Get used to it Ram fans, I see a 6 win season. We are headed to mediocrity because : we have a "idiot savant" as a coach and a front office which shows no loyalty to its quarterbacks. We've only had 2 real good ones since I've been a Ram (1976) and we ran both of them away! (Vince and Kurt). This lack of loyalty is recognized by other players in the NFL, which is why we get no significant free agents. No one plays for Martz. He has inherited a great team and led them to ruin!!! This team was never about Falk, Bruce or Holt. We won because we had the best qb to ever play - and we ruined it!!

Stand up and take a bow all you traitors who were happy to see Warner go. Enjoy your new qb that no team in the NFL wanted! Enjoy your retarded coach! Enjoy your 6 win season! In 2 years we will have the first pick in the draft and Martz will be only a memory. Rebuilding here we come!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger finds no positives for the offense

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    This lack of loyalty is recognized by other players in the NFL, which is why we get no significant free agents.
    And here I thought the salary cap played into that. :redface:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    By Bill Coats
    snip
    Bulger had several factors working against him: a patchwork offensive line; a
    blitz-heavy defensive plan by Kansas City; and consistently poor field
    position. The Rams' six first-half drives had an average starting point of just
    past the 20-yard line, and they produced a mere 73 total yards.
    snip
    Since these were the same factors that caused other QBs to be benched forever, is it time to let Chandalier start? :tongue:

gap

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    "That's our adjustment, to throw it out there," Bulger explained. "And obviously they have that play in their playbook. So maybe they game-planned it."
    The o-line is clearly a contributing factor in Bulger's travails, but something is more ominous. "Our adjustment." I am not sure Bulger showed much ability last night to make any kinds of adjustments.

He was blitzed last year because of his youth. This year maybe it is because of the weakness of the o-line ... but he clearly was not getting rid of the ball with decisive quickness. It's nice to fall back on the idea that coverages of KC kept Bulger from finding open receivers, but since DBs were supposedly not able to bump 'n chuck at the line what happened to the vaunted separation ability of the WRs? Bulger wasn't finding anyone.

And the root of that problem? Bulger and the WRs weren't making blitz read adjustments for the most part, and if they did, they stuck to a script and didn't improvise, and got intercepted. Bulger's decision-making process doesn't have the luxury of sitting back in the pocket and making progressive reads at the moment ... he has to make adjustments now. And the first one is to quicken his reaction time to events unfolding in front of him.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My Opinion - Get used to it Ram fans, I see a 6 win season.
    And what team are you a fan of? (its certainly not the Rams)

This team was never about Falk, Bruce or Holt. We won because we had the best qb to ever play - and we ruined it!!
    You are loopy. To say Faulk, Bruce and Holt had nothing to do with the Rams' success, you must not have been paying attention for the last 5 years. Oh, and Kurt Warner is hardly the "best qb ever to play."

Stand up and take a bow all you traitors who were happy to see Warner go. Enjoy your new qb that no team in the NFL wanted! Enjoy your retarded coach! Enjoy your 6 win season! In 2 years we will have the first pick in the draft and Martz will be only a memory. Rebuilding here we come!
    What I'll enjoy is the silence that you emit when this is proven wrong.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Rebel13, it was a preseason game. Preseason, meaning vanilla. No scheme was installed against the blitz probably.

Anyway, for those of you getting wedgies due to a preseason game, watch Big Brother 5 until the season starts.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    It's nice to fall back on the idea that coverages of KC kept Bulger from finding open receivers, but since DBs were supposedly not able to bump 'n chuck at the line what happened to the vaunted separation ability of the WRs?
    I remember one specific replay after Bulger got sacked, and it showed that the KC defenders were actually doing a pretty good job of staying on their men. Bulger didn't have the kind of open targets that Chandler saw later in the game, based on that clip. That's no excuse -- he's still either got to throw the ball away or do something else with it -- but I think the myth is that the enforced rule is suddenly going to create open receivers all over the place. Contrary to what Bill Belichick might think, you can cover a receiver without the bumping and the grabbing. It appears that the Chiefs did a fairly good job at that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

fearlessone is offline Registered User

After watching last nite's game, I am wondering do I really need to purchase the NFL Ticket or whatever Direct TV calls it? Isn't that the reason I had two trees (relax there were about to fall anyway) removed so I could watch the RAMS play every Sunday ... Should I order :upset: ?

I need a pep talk here after the dismal first half performance.

Looks like a lot of posters(Trout and Dude, etc.) may be right about the not so bulging Bulger but there is no proof in the pudding that has Warner has made it "back" either as I read a Yahoo sports column that had the stats of Eli and KW switched from their first preseason game. KW had the lesser stats of that game but the columnist went on and on how KW did so much better and deserves to start the second game. Is that called divine intervention? :tongue: I know it is preseason for the players but NOT the sports beat writers.

Must be the new moon.

I am hanging in for my beloved team but it looks like a potential season of hangovers! :tongue: :redface:

GO RAMS!! :ramlogo:
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Chin up people it was a preseason game!! Give me ONE example of when we played well in the preseason since 1999. Lets season what the regular season has in stored for us before we bail out. At least lets see what Friday brings.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone
    After watching last nite's game, I am wondering do I really need to purchase the NFL Ticket or whatever Direct TV calls it? Isn't that the reason I had two trees (relax there were about to fall anyway) removed so I could watch the RAMS play every Sunday ... Should I order :upset: ?

I need a pep talk here after the dismal first half performance.

Looks like a lot of posters(Trout and Dude, etc.) may be right about the not so bulging Bulger but there is no proof in the pudding that has Warner has made it "back" either as I read a Yahoo sports column that had the stats of Eli and KW switched from their first preseason game. KW had the lesser stats of that game but the columnist went on and on how KW did so much better and deserves to start the second game. Is that called divine intervention? :tongue: I know it is preseason for the players but NOT the sports beat writers.

Must be the new moon.

I am hanging in for my beloved team but it looks like a potential season of hangovers! :tongue: :redface:

GO RAMS!! :ramlogo:

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Like the immortal words of my favorite Scotsman, (should be Dez' too :tongue:!) John Paul Jones, "SIR, I have not yet begun to fight!" as I will always support and defend my team with BLIND FAITH.

But close to $300 for the TICKET ... well I am going to order anyway since I gots TIVO too! :tongue:

RAMS ON
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    -- but I think the myth is that the enforced rule is suddenly going to create open receivers all over the place.
    I won't argue the point because time will tell to some degree. I would say by way of example though, that they also replayed a slant to Holt from the left that showed a quick release to the inside by Holt couldn't be prevented from catching by clutching.
    Last edited by adarian_too; -08-24-2004 at 01:14 PM.

gap Guest

At the cost of NFLST these days, they'd have to replay all the games throughout the week to make it worth it (in addition to improving the officiating). :tongue:

theodus69 Guest

Well I see the two sides to this Post! But true to form, Pre -season or not,Bulger looks like he did last year(mediocre) . It's not about Kurt anymore. I still wish he was here ,but That is gone for good! Rebel can see what he thinks is the writing on the wall. This Team is in a downward Spiral. The O-line is a big problem. It was that way when the team went 0-5 with Kurt. So bulger come seasons start, better adjust,because there are no excuses and he should be benched if he can't adjust! Now yes I'm very aware this is just P-season,but again that was some pretty sloppy play period! Its hurt this team in the past to play the vets very little in P- season, But this time it's like, Well the line is patch work so do what you can. That better not happen come seasons start! Now Fisher is out-Big blow. The d-line looked barely better than the O-line. And you know what? Pace can kiss my ass! That whiney ass baby just looking to get out of training camp again!!!!!!! Some F-n team player! It will take him 5 games to come around to speed. I could be wrong , but didn't he do this before the start of that 0-5 run?(01)

Shadesofgrey Guest

You've got a quarterback in Marc that's still
    relatively young in the league, so why not blitz?" <<<< I think Faulk's words say a lot... Bulger has been around long enough to figure out how to pick up the blitz..No excuses..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast