HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger gets an early start in Rams camp

Bulger gets an early start in Rams camp

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/31/2009

The last time the Rams staged training camp in Earth City, quarterback Marc Bulger reported a day late because of a minor contract dispute.

Two years later, Bulger showed up a day earlier than most of the squad. He was on the field Thursday for two practices that included the three other quarterbacks, rookies and selected veterans. Some 34 players in all helped kick off Steve Spagnuolo's first camp as a head coach.

"Great day, a great day to be playing football," Spagnuolo gushed.
    Bulger, who received a six-year, $65 million extension in 2007 that made him the highest-paid player in franchise history, was only too happy to check in on the eve of the first full-squad workout.

"It was nice, something we've never done before," he said. "It just knocks the rust off a little bit ... before we really start" today.

As he prepares for his seventh season as the Rams' first-team QB, Bulger, 32, acknowledges feeling a sense of urgency. He's learning another new system this time, it's the West Coast-style offense new coordinator Pat Shurmur brought from Philadelphia and is acutely aware that a third consecutive finish in the NFC West cellar probably would prompt a major overhaul in 2010 that could include a search for a new quarterback.

"It's not just me; I think getting all 11 guys on offense working as one is the most important thing," Bulger said. "We've got to try to stay injury-free so we can hit the season full-stride. We can't have guys missing practices, we can't have guys not studying.

"It's going to be an intense camp, as Coach Spags said, and I think that's going to be a good thing. ... We have to come out of the gate flying this year."

If an early gauge of enthusiasm at Rams Park is a true indicator, that goal might be achievable.

"There's a new atmosphere; things have changed a lot," Bulger noted. "I saw a lot of guys early in the week hanging around the building, which is different. I think everybody is excited to get going."

Donovan McNabb flourished with the Eagles in the same offensive system. But, Bulger pointed out, "That doesn't mean that I'll have great success in it. We all want that, but Donovan can do certain things athletically that I can't, and I think there are some things I can do that maybe he can't.

"So, it's just going to be a matter of finding out what I can do well in this offense. I think we all know 39 (running back Steven Jackson) is going to be the center point of it."

SHORT SESSIONS

Thursday's workouts were short: 1 hour 15 minutes in the morning and just over an hour in the afternoon. Asked whether he'd like all training camp practices to be equally brief, Bulger laughed and said, "I don't think that'll fly."

SPAGS' DAY

In his new role, Spagnuolo found himself scurrying about the three practice fields. "I knew exactly where I was going when I was a defensive coordinator. Here, I've got to kind of bounce all over the place," he said. "I was just trying to get my eyes on everything."

STANLEY UPDATE

Wide receiver/returner Derek Stanley was full-go for the first time since undergoing end-of-season knee surgery. He got through the two workouts with no difficulty.

"I feel like I can handle the load of doing two-a-days," Stanley said. "I'm trying to take it slow; obviously I'm a little rusty in certain areas. But overall, the knee feels great."

RAM-BLINGS

A single practice is scheduled for today, beginning at 3 p.m. The session is open to the public. ... After one day of camp, the Rams are injury-free.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger gets an early start in Rams camp

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Prove it...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    [B]
    Bulger, who received a six-year, $65 million extension in 2007 that made him the highest-paid player in franchise history
    So I guess that makes him the best player in Rams history? ooookayyyyyyy
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

"After one day of camp the RAMS are injury free"

Nothing against Marc Bulger but I still haven't come up with anything he can do that McNabb can't do...hmmm

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    "After one day of camp the RAMS are injury free"

Nothing against Marc Bulger but I still haven't come up with anything he can do that McNabb can't do...hmmm
    Would you agree that Bulger is a more accurate passer than McNabb?

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Would you agree that Bulger is a more accurate passer than McNabb?
    Define "accurate". MB has the edge in completion percentage but McNabb has thrown over a thousand more passes & only 3 more picks.

I'd say MB's best chance of topping DM in any category would be decision making. He's steadier.When he's good, he's very efficient almost all the time but DM is more mercurial. Hardly a novel observation but I'll throw it out there.In their respective best years, MB generally got better ,the more he threw, whereas Donovan was best early on. Athletic ability vs smarts, perhaps?

I'd guess some of that difference also has to be attributed to scheme and personnel. It'll be interesting to see how Marc does with an offense where he has the reins a lot more than in times past.

When he has the time & is healthy, I think he may surprise some folks with his improv skills. He's never going to remind me of Roman but he was pretty jukey/nifty a few times last year in those final games.

Just don't let him try to throw while scrambling to the left. He sucks at it.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-01-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Good, glad to hear he is in and in early. He will have to get used to those young and new WRs, and every rep will help. I think everyone in the NFL knows this is pretty much his last shot with the Rams, and I'd love to see him pick it up and do well.

"Great day, a great day to be playing football," Spagnuolo gushed.

There is a video somewhere of Vermeil saying almost the same thing, something like "It's a great day to be playing football." But as he's saying it, his voice cracks up pretty bad. I think it's on one of the intro to those football follies videos, but anyway, I saw that quote and that was the first thing I thought of, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Define "accurate".
    ...okay. My observations having watched both numerous times over a number of years has led me to conclude that Bulger's throws are more accurate - as in more on-target to where they need to be for the receiver to catch them appropriately - than Donovan McNabb's, an observation which I believe is supported by Bulger's higher career completion percentage, among other factors.

StuckinTexasRam is offline Registered User

Please surprise us this year, Marc! When he is on, he is definitely more accurate than Donovan...we all know he cannot scurry and juke, but just get the ball in the hands of the receivers this season, Marc, that is all we ask! I actually feel pretty good about this team and I think Bulger may be reborn under Spags and Co.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...okay. My observations having watched both numerous times over a number of years has led me to conclude that Bulger's throws are more accurate - as in more on-target to where they need to be for the receiver to catch them appropriately - than Donovan McNabb's, an observation which I believe is supported by Bulger's higher career completion percentage, among other factors.
    I think watching McNabb in the NFC championship game last season proves your point, he was off target on a number of crucial throws. Having said that I still think McNabb is very good QB.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Bulger's higher career completion percentage, among other factors.
    I'd venture to guess that Bulger's career completion percentage has alot to do with the presence of Bruce and Holt for most of his career. I think you'd be better off hanging your hat on the "other factors"...whatever they may be.

That said, I wouldn't want McNabb quarterbacking the Rams.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

A-Web is offline Registered User

You WOULDN'T want McNabb starting at quarterback? I...am...not even going to go into that trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    I'd venture to guess that Bulger's career completion percentage has alot to do with the presence of Bruce and Holt for most of his career.
    I don't think anyone would argue that having Bruce and Holt didn't make a difference, but the quarterback still has to deliver the ball accurately where those receivers can catch it.