Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Bulger Getting Too Much Flack For Being Injury Prone??

I see a lot of people here and even many sportswriters keep saying Bulger gets injured too much. He could be elite if he wasn't injury prone etc. Of course he has been injured more than we would like, and last year when he went for the shoulder tackle on his INT he got blasted. But for the most part I believe that his injuries stem from how we were set up in the passing game and poor line play (no this isn't a knock on Martz). When his passing game was working it was unstoppable, when it wasn't well we saw what happened to Warner and Bulger, they both got killed.

So I was sitting here thinking since we won the SB all we have seen is that type of pass, pass, pass offensive play. With the new regime coming in, I just have to believe that Bulger will be better protected, thus less injury prone.

Maybe Bulger isn't as "soft" or injury prone as some think. I would like to think that with better protection and quicker passing, Bulger will avoid many hits that he has taken in the past because the play didn't develop quick enough, or the line play was bad. So maybe Bulger is getting somewhat of a bad rap as being "injury prone"? Just a thought, while I'm sitting here in the boring offseason. :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger Getting Too Much Flack For Being Injury Prone??

I just think he's had some bad luck. It's not like he goes down as the result of normal shots, he gets absolutely creamed. I'm surprised he's held together as well as he has considering some of the savage hits he's taken over the course of his career.

rams#1 Guest

They say bulger is injury prone huh? well lets see what happens if they were the Qb, I am sure they would get injured on the first hit.

moklerman Guest

I'm ready to give Bulger a clean slate a la Trent Green. Bulger doesn't seem to be constantly nicked and dinged which is a good thing but repetitive injuries to the same body part are worrisome. But, in a more conventional offense he may be just fine. That begs the question of whether or not he will flourish in a conventional offense though. There are pro's and con's all over the place.

RamsFan16 Guest

No. Until he can play a full season he is injury prone. In 2003 played 15/16 games, 2004 he played in 14/16 games and in 2005 he played in 8/16 games. He is due for a full season but until then lets call him "Injury Prone".

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I don't ever wanna hear some ignorant nonsense like Bulger is "soft". He gets sacked more than most QB's in the NFL but puts up great numbers. I don't see how he is any less tougher than Steve Mcnair.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Is he injury prone? Yes. But the issue is not whether he's been injured a lot as much as it is why has he been injured a lot. Give Warner's experience with Martz and all the nagging injuries he got playing in that offense, I think it's safe to say that at least part of the problem isn't with Bulger. On top of the minimal pass protection he received, there are at least two other contributing factors that have nothing to do with Bulger himself: 1) the decline of our offensive line and 2) the decline of our running game. The import of the first is obvious. As to the second, I've never seen so many defenses continually tee-off and blitz as much as they did against us the last three years. Martz became predictible and Bulger paid the price as a consequence.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I do agree that in the past the offensive play calling had alot to do with Bulgers' injury issues. However I must add the guy is listed as 6' 3"- 212 lbs.
    I have seen Bulger in person on more than one occassion, Must admit he does look very fragile. Hard to believe he ways 212 lbs, maybe with his pockets full of rocks. IMO Mark Bulger needs to muscle up a bit. I'm not saying he isn't tough in mind but that body needs some work.

Hopefully he stays healthy from now on.

:ramlogo:

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I like to see it this way, bulger gets hit harder than david carr, but carr gets all the attention. And with no martz and a better O-line,he will play all 16 games this year.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Marc needs to play smart, if he has an INT, find the fastest path to the side line. No need to try and make a play. All the defenders are looking to take a shot at a QB once the ball has been turned over.

As far as pass protection, he will be getting the ball out to TE and shorter routes, but Linehan does like the deep ball as well. We need to use max peotect when we go deep to Curtis.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I cant beleive David Carr got sacked the most of any QB and didnt get injuried i think... and Marc gets injuried!! David Carr can take hits!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    I cant beleive David Carr got sacked the most of any QB and didnt get injuried i think... and Marc gets injuried!! David Carr can take hits!!
    Um, Carr's had his share of injuries as well. He had a left wrist and ankle injury in his rookie year, had ankle and shoulder problems in 2003, had more foot/ankle problems in 2004 as well as some brief neck issues, and then finished the 2005 season with hip, arm, and elbow problems. It seems Carr, for the most part, has been able to play through his dings because the majority of them haven't been all that serious, but my point is he is getting bruised up and hurt down there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

David Carr has a good attitude. I think he will overcome adversity and be a good leader. He has survived a lot of hits, but those hits will take their toll over time. Hopefully they will get him some protection this year or he will start looking fragile as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

theodus69 Guest

The O-line declined big after the loss to the Pats in the SB. Warner was never the same after that year. Bulger has inherited that same line. It is getting better, but with the likes of an inexperienced Jackson in the back feild and a constant rotation in the line, Bulger may have it worse than Warner ever had towards the end of his stint in STL. Bulger is growing on me more and more and he is going to have a great year as long as he gets some help! I think Linehan will make sure of that!

moklerman Guest

What's Frerotte's injury history(Nick?) like? Linehan kept a relatively older version of Gus upright last year so I think he know's the importance of protecting the qb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast