View Poll Results: Was the Bulger decision right?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes--Keeping Bulger was a great move by the front office.

47 85.45%
  • No--Warner should have been left to lead the greatest show on turf.

8 14.55%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger a good decision??

Now that everything has settled and Bulger has settled in to the NFL, how do you feel?? There were a lot of upset people for several years when Warner was let go in favor of Bulger. Was it a good decision? Or would you have liked Warner to stay and been given the chance with the team over the last several years. Remember, ONLY ONE of them would stay. If you vote Warner, Bulger would be with another team.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger a good decision??

No Brainer, when this man is healthy, he produces fantastic numbers.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Keeping Bulger was a great move by the front office.

Bulger was not going any where at the time. He just won 8 games and was getting a taste of the NFL.

The question is did the FO office do the right thing by letting Warner go? Answer is only time will tell.

Warner never got the chance to play through his poor decision to play hurt. He should not have played until he was a 100%. But thatís another debate.

Marc has not won a SB, Warner took us there twice wining one. Marc has the talent no doubt, but the great one win SB, not just put up great stats. Just ask Manning; he will not be remembered as an elite QB if he does not win a SB.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-10-2006 at 06:05 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Keeping Bulger was a great move by the front office.

Bulger was not going any where at the time. He just won 8 games and was getting a taste of the NFL.

The question is did the FO office do the right thing but let Warner go? Answer is only time will tell.

Warner never got the chance to play through his poor decision to play hurt. He should not have played until he was a 100%. But thatís another debate.

Marc has not won a SB, Warner took us there twice wining one. Marc has the talent no doubt, but the great one win SB, not just put up great stats. Just ask Manning; he will not be remembered as an elite QB if he does not win a SB.
    Only winning matters in the nfl and that is all warner did with the rams is win... bulger puts up great numbers when healthy but the rams are just not winning with him at the helm... Other problmes go into that equation like head coching, new players, but if we're just compqring warner over bulger, as much as i love and defend bulger, WARNER was a winner here plain and simple

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Just ask Manning; he will not be remembered as an elite QB if he does not win a SB.
    That's simply not true. Manning will be remembered as an elite QB even if he doesn't win a SB, just as Dan Marino is remembered as an elite QB.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

thoey is offline Registered User

I voted for Bulgar in this poll. Now that may come to a surprise to some, as I was listed as a Warnerite, along with being considered a Naysayer.

The reason I chose the Bulgar option now is that at the time the decision was made, the damage to KW was already done. A lot of my frustration back then was not what the future KW would do compared to what the future MB would do. It was what a waste management had done with the talent they had. Lack of protection, etc, turned the KW we knew and loved, into the KW of the Cardinals. That same management tried to do the same to MB, he got hurt, and we again wasted potential.
    This space for rent...

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Only winning matters in the nfl and that is all warner did with the rams is win... bulger puts up great numbers when healthy but the rams are just not winning with him at the helm... Other problmes go into that equation like head coching, new players, but if we're just compqring warner over bulger, as much as i love and defend bulger, WARNER was a winner here plain and simple
    Okay, the key word in the quote...WAS, warner WAS a better fit, but if you kept warner up until now and he was still starting for us to this day, you honestly think we would be doing better?
    Built RAM tough

That's simply not true. Manning will be remembered as an elite QB even if he doesn't win a SB, just as Dan Marino is remembered as an elite QB.

The best of the best win SB, Dan had some great numbers but he is not being compared to a Tom Brady that goes to a Joe Montana. Iím not saying Manning will not be remembered as a great QB, he wonít be in the same class as Montana, Bradshaw and even a Tom Brady who as we know has three rings.

Just ask Jim Kelly went to four SB in a row and you never hear his name mentioned in the same breath as A Montana. Jim Kelly was a great QB.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    The best of the best win SB, Dan had some great numbers but he is not being compared to a Tom Brady that goes to a Joe Montana. Iím not saying Manning will not be remembered as a great QB, he wonít be in the same class as Montana, Bradshaw and even a Tom Brady who as we know has three rings.

Just ask Jim Kelly went to four SB in a row and you never hear his name mentioned in the same breath as A Montana. Jim Kelly was a great QB.
    Marino is still an elite QB and is up there with Montana etc when mentioned with elite QBs, just as Manning will be even if he doesn't win a SB. Superbowl wins don't just put you into elite status, careers put you into elite status. Marino is possibly the best of all time therefore he is an elite QB even without a SB win.

Kelly was great, Marino is elite. There is no comparison between those two.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Superbowl wins don't just put you into elite status, careers put you into elite status

I agree, wining games and advancing to the playoff and wining those games and wining the SB thatís a great career. Some QB could win games in the regular season but canít win the big ones. I heard that about Manning just last week, he beat Brady but most people will say it means nothing, until he can do it in the playoff, I bet Manning would tell you that.

Marino is possibly the best of all time

Tell me how he can be the best of all time when he never once in his long-playing days, never won it all not once. Thatís like saying a fighter is the best of all time even though he never was a champion.

Superbowl wins don't just put you into elite status, careers put you into elite status
    I agree, wining games and advancing to the playoff and wining those games and wining the SB thatís a great career. Some QB could win games in the regular season but canít win the big ones. I heard that about Manning just last week, he beat Brady but most people will say it means nothing, until he can do it in the playoff, I bet Manning would tell you that.
    Marino is possibly the best of all time
    Tell me how he can be the best of all time when he never once in his long-playing days, never won it all not once. Thatís like saying a fighter is the best of all time even though he never was a champion.
    First I said "possibly the best of all time", and second his career says he is an elite QB and his numbers are far better than anyone elses. Superbowls alone don't put QBs into elite status, and they don't take QBs out of elite status. Since football is a team sport and the QB can't control every facet of the game, that means that some elite QBs like Marino who didn't win or Manning who may never win a SB but that still doesn't mean they aren't elite.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The lifespan of a GSOT QB was measured in days, not years. The way our O-line fell apart after 2002, Warner would have been hit so many times that the whack-a-mole game would seem tame. Yes, Bulger got hit a lot, too. But he had the advantage of being younger, and we all know things hurt a lot less when we were younger.
    All things being equal, (as in the exact same O-line, plays, receivers, coaching, opponents, etc.) I truly believe that Warner at his prime would be just about equal to Bulger at his peak. Too bad we will never really know.

One thing I did over the summer to get me by until football season was playing Madden 2002. Just for grits and shins, I created an 'alternate' team, Sam's Rams. I kept everything at the default settings, except one thing: I plugged in Bulger with the info from Madden '06. Quite interesting things happenned...Both the '02 Rams and Sam's Rams went 12-4 when I let the computer run the season. We won the SB in both simulations, too.

I compared the stats of '02 Warner (remember, Madden 'projected' the player's performance) against '06 Bulger. Warner had a small amount more total yardage, Bulger the better completion percentage. Both had ratings of 101.3. Bulger also threw for 3 more TD's, fewer INT's, but more fumbles.

I'm sure that if I run the game again, it would show different results, but if Madden simulations show that small amount of difference....

Now, my opinion of why I voted Bulger. Kurt was great. I believe he 'lost his edge' due to the injuries he suffered. Had we kept him on, he'd have what, 2 or 3 years left before Brett Farve started urging him to retire? Marc is young enough that we will have him on the roster for quite a few more years. Plus, Marc benefited from Kurt's tutelage. I think that in this case, young grasshopper is as good as the master.

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Teams FEARED Warner .... I dont think anyone is scared what Bulger is going to dice them up.
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

First I said "possibly the best of all time", and second his career says he is an elite QB and his numbers are far better than anyone elses. Superbowls alone don't put QBs into elite status, and they don't take QBs out of elite status. Since football is a team sport and the QB can't control every facet of the game, that means that some elite QBs like Marino who didn't win or Manning who may never win a SB but that still doesn't mean they aren't elite.
    It's all good, just the Warnerite in me

MonaLisaOverdrive is offline Registered User

Considering Warner is Mr. Fumbles, I think keeping Bulger was a no brainer, good move by your FO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast