Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger injures finger on passing hand at practice

Bulger injures finger on passing hand at practice
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    08.17.2009 11:00 am

St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger injured the pinkie finger on his right (passing) hand during this morning’s practice at training camp. Bulger left practice briefly, then returned but didn’t participate in the drills. Kyle Boller ran the first-team offense.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said he didn’t believe the injury was serious, but the finger will be X-rayed. Bulger did throw some on the side after returning to practice.

Notes & quotes:

*The morning practice was held indoors as storms pounded Earth City this morning. As of now, the afternoon practice, which starts at 1:25, is scheduled to take place outside.

*The players were in full pads, but there was no live tackling.

*As Spagnuolo promised, Jason Smith and Adam Goldberg took a few reps at left tackle. Both had been working almost exclusively on the right side.

*John Greco did some work at left guard. He has been lining up mostly at right guard.

*FB Mike Karney participated fully for the first time since spraining his ankle two weeks ago.

*Barring a late surge in ticket sales, Friday night’s home preseason game vs. Atlanta will not sell out and thus won’t be televised locally.

All for now . . . more following the afternoon practice.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger injures finger on passing hand at practice

Oh I'm sure that the peanut gallery will be all up in arms about this one. He probably hit it on a helmet or jammed it somehow.

Good to see Karney back. Hope he's hungry to plow some holes for Jax this week.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I hope he's O.K, despite what a lot of people think. We really need him .
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -08-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I wish I lived in St. Louis and could just buy tickets to Rams games. I live around Cleveland, who picked three spots behind us (originally) and you just can't do that. Go buy some tickets folks!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The guy played more than half a season with broken ribs behind one of the worst, if not the worst offensive line in the NFL, knowing he was going to take a beating every other play. Broken or not, unless the finger is completely disrupting his passing motion, he'll play. Say what you want about Marc Bulger, but there is no doubting his physical toughness.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I seriously doubt this will cause any side effects to his throwing at all. I played some QB and you don't use your pinky when you throw. (Well, at least I don't.) I'm sure it's just precautionary.

clarasDK is online now Registered User

The St. Louis Rams expect to be without Marc Bulger for at least two weeks after the veteran quarterback broke the pinky finger on his throwing hand during practice Monday morning.

The freak injury, described by the team as a non-displaced fracture, occurred during a center exchange. Bulger will not wear a cast while the injury heals.

NFC West blog
    ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Kyle Boller becomes the Rams' starter while Bulger recovers. Bulger, 32, did not miss a game to injury last season or in 2006. He missed four games in 2007.

Boller, signed in free agency from the Baltimore Ravens, started eight games last season, completing 61.1 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Boller owns a 20-22 regular-season record as a starter, all with the Ravens. His career passer rating is 71.9.

Bulger was 36-24 as a starter before losing all but four of 27 starts over the last two seasons. The Rams benched him for one game last season.

The Rams' passing game was already operating at a deficiency before Bulger's injury. Top receiver Donnie Avery could be sidelined into the regular season after suffering a broken bone in his left foot. Receivers Brooks Foster and Tim Carter suffered less serious injuries during the Rams' exhibition opener against the New York Jets.

Mike Sando covers the NFC West for ESPN.com.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I am a little concerned, because he will be missing out on practice of course because of this. He really needed to work on his timing and chemistry with those younger WRs. Well, this is why we brought in Boller, hopefully he will be able to show us we have a good backup now.
    Even though it's the pinkie, it can be serious. I'm sure we all remember Kurt Warner in 2002 when he broke his pinkie, and Tony Romo as well just recently. Even though it's not used much, it can mess up your accuracy, and in a game of inches, that's very important. Let's hope the injury heals in the two weeks and doesn't carry over.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's not the end but it's not good. He needs to be practicing in this offense.

Que 3 threads telling us this is a miracle because it means our backups get more reps and Bulger will be fresh for when the season starts.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Remember when Steve DeBerg played with that finger with the pin sticking out and all bandaged up? Dude was nails.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The guy played more than half a season with broken ribs behind one of the worst, if not the worst offensive line in the NFL, knowing he was going to take a beating every other play. Broken or not, unless the finger is completely disrupting his passing motion, he'll play. Say what you want about Marc Bulger, but there is no doubting his physical toughness.
    I am a fan of Bulger and I have on occassion been disgusted with his play but I also have never questioned his toughness,I have no doubt that if he can play he will be out there.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I seriously doubt this will cause any side effects to his throwing at all. I played some QB and you don't use your pinky when you throw. (Well, at least I don't.) I'm sure it's just precautionary.
    I guess he uses his pinky finger. I'm assuming since it's preseason, they're looking to make sure it heals properly and have him 100% for the regular season.

Not only is this bad for Bulgers' learning curve with the offense and timing with his recievers, I'm sure it will probably lead to a QB controversy, especially if Boller looks even half-way decent.

Oh well, what would a Rams season be without some sort of controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I am a fan of Bulger and I have on occassion been disgusted with his play but I to have never questioned his toughness,I have no doubt that if he can play he will be out there.
    I'll bet he want's to be out there jk, but as I mentioned above, I'm sure the Rams don't want to take any chances with the injury.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

This isnt a good look for us Bulger was looking good in preseason game 1 despite the sacks. . with this new offense he is going to be setback and that is the last thing we need !!!!
    Torry Holt Dont play that

RealRam is offline Registered User

No biggie on the pinkie. I think both MB as well as Coach SS will find a way to overcome.

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Pinkie broken. Will miss at least 2 weeks.

Its all going wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast