Thread: Bulger Just Ok

eldfan is offline Registered User

Bulger Just Ok

By Bernie Miklasz

Good day…

1. Breaking Down Marc Bulger’s First Game: The Rams’ QB wasn’t good, wasn’t bad, in Seattle. It was an OK performance. He didn’t have a chance to make a lot of plays, and his receivers weren’t exactly running free. I didn’t see many getting open. But Bulger did miss on a couple of plays/throws that should have been made. Bulger had 19 incompletions in the game, and according to STATS LLC, only four were the result of poor throws. That was better than most NFL quarterbacks in the first week. One pass was dropped. One was hit at the line. Eight were broken up by defenders. Three passes were intentionally thrown away. The other two incompletions weren’t categorized. Bulger was good on fiirst down throws (10 of 15) and not so good when he faced 2nd down and a distance of 8 yards or more (3 for 9). Bulger was 1 for 5 passing in the red zone. Only one of his third-down passing attenpts resulted in a first down. Bulger was more effective against the blitz (5 for 9) than throwing in non-blitz situations (12 for 27). There wasn’t much difference between his shotgun-formation passing and non-shotgun passing. When the Rams went with 4 WRs, he completed 3 of 4 for 65 yards. All in all, about what I expected for a QB who started the opener after missing several weeks with a broken finger. Bulger competed hard, and he did a better job (than we saw in recent seasons) of throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. Not much to complain about. Not much to get fired up about.

2. Other Rams Notes From The Opener: According to STATS, Rams starting cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Jonathan Wade each were targeted 8 times, and each gave up 5 completions…. Rams 2nd-year LB David Vobora, who was making his first start at strong-side LB in place of the waived Chris Draft, was targeted for passes 4 times and the Seahawks completed all 4 against him … strong safety James Butler was targeted 4 times and did not allow a completion … Steven Jackson rushed for 67 yards, and 43 of the yards came after contact. That was about a middle-of-the-pack percentage among NFL RBs… Jackson broke two tackles, which tied him for the NFL lead among RBs in the first week… third downs were a huge problem. The Rams offense had the NFL’s worst conversion rate (16.7 %) in the NFL in the first week, and the Rams defense allowed a third-down conversion rate of 53.3 percent, which ranked 25th.

3. Rushing the Ball Based on Down & Distance: I firmly believe the Rams should have made more of an effort to run the ball at Seattle; Jackson had only 9 first-half carries and 16 rushing attempts overall. Of course, even the most basic of constructive criticism brings out the Rams apologists, so I had to chuckle at listening to the radio and hearing the predictable defense being made for the Rams’ out-of-sorts play calls against the Seahawks. The excuse being made for offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur was this: the Rams couldn’t run the ball more, because all of the penalties put them in too many second-and-long, third-and-long situations. OK, let’s forget the spin; here’s the reality: Steven Jackson and the Rams did ther best work in those situations Sunday. Jackson had 6 carries for 45 yards on second-down plays. When the Rams faced 2nd down and 8 yards or more, he rushed 4 times for 21 yards. On a 2nd down and 11+ yards to go, Jackson had a 22-yard run. When the Rams put three wideouts on the field — to suggest that a pass was coming — Jackson carried 7 times for 39 yards. The point? Jackson can do a lot of damage on so-called passing downs and formations. In fact you can burn the defense by utilizing him in such a way. There is absolutely no need to eschew the run when the down and distance aren’t favorable. If anything, when you run when the defense isn’t expecting it, you can get Jackson away from situations where he’s going up against eight defenders in the box.

:ramlogo:

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger Just Ok

This was a fair statement for once from Bernie. Bulger did just Ok.

I cant say its been the worse ive seen. He needs a lot of Reps with

the Rec's. Just does not look like there on the same page,....... No book

is a better example than page.

Mooselini Guest

This is acceptable by Bernie because it showed stats, not speculation and not opinion. Pure stats. Good job Bernie.

Bulger did look okay. For the amount of touches Jackson got, he played well too. But next week, we need to get him the ball more. Let him run more, let Bulger throw to him more.

btimsah Guest

The team loses 28-0, after getting 3 turnovers and the starting QB (who didn't lead the offense to score one single point) did okay? It's almost like Bulger is a corporate giant that's too big to fail. Except, in his case he used to be too good to fail but we've never gotten that memo.

We will in the coming weeks. If not, next week.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    The team loses 28-0, after getting 3 turnovers and the starting QB (who didn't lead the offense to score one single point) did okay? It's almost like Bulger is a corporate giant that's too big to fail. Except, in his case he used to be too good to fail but we've never gotten that memo.

We will in the coming weeks. If not, next week.
    yes bulger didnt throw any touchdown pass's maybe we should just fire him.
    while we are at it jackson didnt break a 50 yard run for a touchdown lets fire him to. why dont we just trash the whole team and keep hiring new players until we win a game.

do you see how ridiculous you sound now?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    why dont we just trash the whole team and keep hiring new players until we win a game.

do you see how ridiculous you sound now?
    Actually that sounds like a good idea. Practical? No, but good idea!

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

kegger56 Guest

What isn't mentioned is that they played a Seahawk team that IS NOT THE SAME! I put that in bold because we have a whole new defensive and offensive scheme that teams don't have film on. Everybody has 100's of hours against Holmgren's offense and a very worthless vanilla John Marshall defense. Put that together with new starters on the rams and playing at a very amped up Qwest field and you have what you have. I have said it here a couple times now, this is probably the best bunch of game film you can get from game 1! I mean if both teams had struggled the whole game some problems might have been overlooked and exposed till later meaning more and more adjustments. For some stupid reason I think this past game can create a great learning curve if the coaches have the players buying in. Oh yeah....get rid of Incognito, that guy does nothing but cost the rams drives IMO.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm scared. I agreed with everything that Bernie said.

On another note, I vote that we sign btimsah as our new starting quarterback. It's obvious that he could do better than that washed up Bulger any day.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    On another note, I vote that we sign btimsah as our new starting quarterback. It's obvious that he could do better than that washed up Bulger any day.
    I think btimsah has been demoted to the practice squad.

Bulger had 19 incompletions in the game, and according to STATS LLC, only four were the result of poor throws. That was better than most NFL quarterbacks in the first week. One pass was dropped.
    One passed dropped?? That doesn't sound right to me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    One passed dropped?? That doesn't sound right to me.
    I think that they're giving credit to the defenders for breaking up the passes. They gave them 8 defensed passes, some of them could be considered drops as well, probably.