RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger looks ahead; ready to leave last year behind

QB has stayed close to St. Louis during much of offseason
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --
    Quarterback Marc Bulger is trying to put the St. Louis Rams' dismal 2007 season behind him by focusing his attention on getting ready for the 2008 season.

Bulger, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., has remained in St. Louis for the past two months.

"This is the first year I really didn't go to Pittsburgh, I stayed here all year round," Bulger said Wednesday in an interview at Rams Park. "I don't know if it comes with age -- I'll be 31 on Saturday -- I'm happier treating it like this is my home and this is where I come to work.

"I have been coming in the last couple months pretty much five days a week. It's a routine that I've gotten into."

In the past, Bulger spent much of the offseason trying to get away from football.

"When you're younger, you don't want to come back," Bulger said. "You want to stay with your friends. I'm just trying to get as far away from last year -- and get this year going -- as I can."

Bulger said he's trying to make sure the Rams improve upon last year's 3-13 record.

"It was disappointing," Bulger said. "I just told myself in January that I'm not going to keep beating myself up or beating up teammates or coaches. It's just not worth it. I know, and everybody knows, I have to play better. I have to do a better job preparing -- mentally, physically, everything.

"It does no good to go back and beat ourselves up. We know how bad it was."

Bulger completed 221 of 378 (58.5 percent) for 2,392 yards with 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season. He had a quarterback rating of 70.3.

It was his lowest completion percentage and quarterback rating in his seven NFL seasons. It also marked the first time that he threw more interceptions than touchdowns in a season.

Bulger, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, said he doesn't feel any more of a need to re-prove himself this season than any other season.

"I don't think I'm re-proving or re-dedicating," Bulger said. "I think you have to prove yourself every year. I know how it is in the NFL. When you lose, you can be two years from a Pro Bowl, but it might as well be 10.

"So I guess, from that sense, to the fans I'll have to prove myself."

Bulger missed four starts last season because of broken ribs and a concussion. He gave himself a clean bill of health Wednesday.

"Nothing from the concussion, my ribs feel great," Bulger said. "Those are the only two issues I had."

Bulger said that right now his body feels better than it did at the same time the previous two years.

"Last year, it took a little longer because of the Pro Bowl and working you're body longer," Bulger said. "The year before, my shoulder was bothering me. This year, I feel really good."

Bulger applauded the hiring of Al Saunders as the Rams' offensive coordinator after his surprise firing by the Washington Redskins. Saunders will assume the play-calling duties from coach Scott Linehan.

"I'm real excited," Bulger said. "I talked to Coach Linehan all through January. The whole process of getting input and giving him mine. If I had any say, he (Saunders) would have been No. 1 on my list. I was pretty shocked that he became available."

Though they had met, Bulger said he knew of Saunders more by reputation. He had a brief encounter with Saunders, then the Rams' wide receivers coach, when he was with the Rams' practice squad for a few weeks in 2000.

Bulger said he's in the process of learning Saunders' offensive system, which is a variation of the system run by Mike Martz with the Rams from 1999-2005.

"A lot of stuff is coming back, it's not completely new," Bulger said. "There's new verbiage. It's re-teaching myself the stuff that I tried to deprogram myself from the last two years. It's easier than if I had to go to the West Coast (offense) or something."

Bulger said having new backup quarterback Trent Green, who played under Martz in St. Louis and Saunders in Kansas City and Washington, should help him make the transition.

"Not that Al doesn't know it, but player to player, maybe he can explain it in a way that a coach can't," Bulger said.

Bulger said it would be strange seeing wide receiver Isaac Bruce playing for the San Francisco ***** next season. Bruce joined Martz, who is now the ***** offensive coordinator, after being released by the Rams in a salary cap move.

Since Bruce spent his offseason training in Memphis, Tenn., Bulger said Bruce's absence won't be fully felt until training camp.

"Once training camp comes around, and once we play the *****, it's going to be real, real, real weird," Bulger said. "Just seeing him in a different number will be strange for everyone."

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger looks ahead; ready to leave last year behind

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "A lot of stuff is coming back, it's not completely new," Bulger said. "There's new verbiage. It's re-teaching myself the stuff that I tried to deprogram myself from the last two years. It's easier than if I had to go to the West Coast (offense) or something."
    I love that our guys are still taking digs at Losehans "offense". If you can call it offense of course... I called it a slight rest for our defense.

Bulger said it would be strange seeing wide receiver Isaac Bruce playing for the San Francisco ***** next season. Bruce joined Martz, who is now the ***** offensive coordinator, after being released by the Rams in a salary cap move.

Since Bruce spent his offseason training in Memphis, Tenn., Bulger said Bruce's absence won't be fully felt until training camp.

"Once training camp comes around, and once we play the *****, it's going to be real, real, real weird," Bulger said. "Just seeing him in a different number will be strange for everyone."
    This will never go away... , ps. did any of you see the top 10 Rams plays of 2007 on NFL.com? For those bennett supporters, I'd just like to draw our attention to the Bruce plays on their as well as LACK, or 0 Bennett plays.... God I hope someone offers us some pylons or something for him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post

This will never go away... , ps. did any of you see the top 10 Rams plays of 2007 on NFL.com? For those bennett supporters, I'd just like to draw our attention to the Bruce plays on their as well as LACK, or 0 Bennett plays.... God I hope someone offers us some pylons or something for him.
    Someone sees this too. That Bennett has never been a probowl status WR, never had beaten any record, hasnt played better than Bruce ever.

He has never had an outstanding season to the point where I would only pray and hope we got him when he became a free agent.

He's getting older, he's not going to improve much. Sure, he'll do better than last year, but so will everybody else. If we get someone in the draft, I see Bennett being #3, where he should be.

As for Bulger, I'm really glad that he's preparing himself early and well. Just reinforces why he's one of my favorite players today.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I love that our guys are still taking digs at Losehans "offense". If you can call it offense of course... I called it a slight rest for our defense.
    Not sure it was a dig, more like addressing the transition from the Martz offense to Linehan's, and now back to the Martz influenced Saunders offense. Don't forget that Bulger had his best year ever with Linehan's system in 2006.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I think in 05' Bulger would maybe have had a better year than in '06. I remember up until week 5, when he became injured for like 9 weeks when we were playing the Colts, he was leading the league (if not among the very top) in passing yardage, completion percentage, etc. I think we could have easily been to the playoffs in '05, if Dwight Freeney, who i believe layed the hit on him, didn't ruin that season.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is all well and good and I'm encouraged to read that Marc is workin' hard this offseason; but I know I'd sure like to hear that Alex Barron is also in St. Louis and is working hard himself.

WHAT SAY YE?