Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Bulger may play Sunday

BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/01/2009

It was feared that the shoulder injury Rams quarterback Marc Bulger suffered Sunday would end his season. Now, it's possible he might not even miss a game.

Possible, but far from probable.

"It'd have to be a major improvement," Bulger said Wednesday. "It's tough to judge. It's easier with a bone; you know exactly how long it's going to be to heal again. With muscles, it's a little bit more difficult."

Bulger's injury has been diagnosed as a bruised rotator cuff. He didn't practice Wednesday but might try to toss a few passes today.

"When he comes in in the morning, we'll decide whether he should try to throw," coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

X-rays of Bulger's right (throwing) shoulder were sent to Dr. James Andrews, the noted sports orthopedist, for a second opinion. "It's not a reflection on anyone, just another set of eyes," Bulger said.

Mobility of the joint, not discomfort, is the main issue, he explained.

"I get to a certain point when I'm getting my arm back to throw, and it doesn't allow me to go back any further," Bulger said. "It's not just a pain thing or I'd be in there."

While Bulger heals, Kyle Boller is working with the first-team offense as the Rams prepare for Sunday's game in San Francisco. Boller, who entered early in the second quarter Sunday and threw two touchdown passes in the 36-17 loss to Green Bay, is operating in limbo until Bulger's status is determined.

"I haven't been told that I'm the guy," Boller said. "I'm just going to go out there and take the reps (at practice). If Marc can't go, then I'll make sure that I'm ready to step in and take over."

Still, Bulger concedes nothing.

"I'm trying to get healthy as quick as I can," he said. "I'm going to do what's smart for the team. But if I can practice this week, then definitely I'll go."

INJURY UPDATES

Safety James Butler and tackle Jason Smith, each with a knee injury, also sat out practice. Spagnuolo has ruled out having Butler play Sunday. Smith did some individual work on the side; he is questionable for the game.

Cornerback Ron Bartell (thigh) and tackle Alex Barron (thigh) were limited.

ROSTER CHANGES

The 53-man roster was filled Wednesday with the promotions of linebacker Dominic Douglas and defensive tackle Leger Douzable from the practice squad. Wide receiver Nate Jones had been moved up earlier.

Those spots were created Tuesday when linebacker David Vobora received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, wide receiver Laurent Robinson (leg) was placed on injured reserve, and defensive tackle Hollis Thomas was released.

Four players have been added to the eight-man practice squad: linebackers Jay Moore and Justin Roland, defensive tackle Marlon Favorite, and wideout Sean Walker, who was with the club in training camp.

REPLACING VOBORA

Vobora's ban left an opening on the first team at strongside linebacker. Paris Lenon and Larry Grant are vying for the job.

Vobora Grant and Chris Draft were the main contenders at the spot in the preseason. Grant was forced out of the competition when he suffered a knee injury Aug. 31. Draft was released.

"It's always frustrating when you get any kind of injury. But you've got to continue to work in the training room and listen to what those guys tell you to do," Grant said. "I did that since the day I got hurt, and my knee is back to a hundred percent."

RAM-BLINGS

With Barron hobbled, John Greco took most of the first-team snaps at left tackle. ... This week's captains are tight end Randy McMichael (offense), end Leonard Little (defense) and tight end Billy Bajema (special teams).

:ramlogo:

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger may play Sunday

Seriously doubt he plays, missing practice wednsday and all. On another note mcmicheal is captain? really?

Milan is offline Registered User

Injured or not, Boller should get the start.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Bulger is not 100%, don't start him. Simple as that. Boller showed flashes of being able to make something happen in the second quarter, but any spark he created disappeared in the second half. Though he had quite a bit of work in the pre-season and apparently has been keeping his arm fresh by running the scout team, it'll be interesting to see what he does with a full week of practice with the 1's.

btimsah Guest

Bulger may play, Sunday.
    "Oh crap".

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

great 0-4!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Why in the hell is McMichael a captain? I would've given Cogs the captain before McMichael. He better freaking earn that this weekend.

I don't want Bulger playing unless he is 100%. Or if Boller just absolutely stinks it up. Which is bound to happen knowing Boller....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Why in the hell is McMichael a captain?
    Maybe it's based on his leadership or presence in the locker room, at practices, etc etc?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If Bulger is not 100%, don't start him. Simple as that.
    I agree. It's admirable that Bulger wants to play, but with the inconsistency in the line, the guy behind center needs to be at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Why in the hell is McMichael a captain?
    The team votes on who the captains will be, so.......

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Captains change every week..3 captains per week for 16 weeks..thats 48 team captains per year.. chances are even Leger Douzable will be a team captain before the year is out.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

If Bulger is not 100%, don't start him. Simple as that. Boller showed flashes of being able to make something happen in the second quarter, but any spark he created disappeared in the second half. Though he had quite a bit of work in the pre-season and apparently has been keeping his arm fresh by running the scout team, it'll be interesting to see what he does with a full week of practice with the 1's.
    I agree with Nick. Why start him if he is not 100%. No point in getting him hurt worse with a 0-3 record to protect. We might as well take a good look at what Boller can do with a whole game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

That's all we need is a QB with hurt arm slinging wounded ducks into the secondary. NO THANKS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Maybe it's based on his leadership or presence in the locker room, at practices, etc etc?
    .....or maybe in the shower?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I don't want to see Boller or Bulger playing, I want to see what Null has got. I am very optimistic for the Rams but I am also very realistic. I must say guys, we are not going anywhere this year. I want to see what talent we have on the bench. Can we trust Null for the future, or do we need to invest in a franchise QB. Hopefully I don't get bashed for this, but we need to look forward to next year's season and the talent pool that we have. Lets test out those young guys!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    I don't want to see Boller or Bulger playing, I want to see what Null has got. I am very optimistic for the Rams but I am also very realistic. I must say guys, we are not going anywhere this year. I want to see what talent we have on the bench. Can we trust Null for the future, or do we need to invest in a franchise QB. Hopefully I don't get bashed for this, but we need to look forward to next year's season and the talent pool that we have. Lets test out those young guys!
    I have to say that we should leave Null on the self until he is ready.

I am one of the few that thought Banks was the future of the franchies. I was also one of the ones screaming to replace Sonny (Steve) Bono. All that did was throw Banks in before he was ready, and he learned bad habits that were too hard to overcome. Of course, throwing him in on the 3 yd line, with 3rd and forever, a heavily blitzing 9ers, and an official that thought throwing a screen pass to a covered RB (if you can call Phillips that) was intentional grounding, and it's bound to shake any rookie.

gap

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast